C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Question about changing out stereo

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 12:30 AM
anthem74
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about changing out stereo

I'm getting a new stereo and speakers installed soon in my '89 coupe and I have this question- Since I am getting the Bose system out do I need to rewire the car for an aftermarket stereo and speakers as a dealer told me or is it possible to go with the stock wiring and use one of those adapters to hook up to the new deck? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-30-2008, 08:04 AM
Stewball
Instructor

Last sunday I just removed my old Bose system from my 87 and put in an aftermarket set of speakers and receiver. I used the existing wiring for the speakers without any problems.

When I was at Circuit City a few months back they too told me they wanted to rewire but I didn't see any point to it at all the factory wiring would be fine since I wasn't going to have a high powered system added.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:34 PM
PurtyLilC4
Instructor

yeah, I used an adapter in my 90 with the Bose system, just a tip if you decide to go that way....once you hook up the deck, if you can only get sound from the radio, say you switch to cd and you get no sound, the Bose amp is turning off, you will need to use the power antenna wire as both the power antenna and remote wire. Just a heads up if you go the adapter route.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:36 PM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Replaced my bose in 87 and complete rewire w/amp, no reason to use old wire with new power system...
Old 05-30-2008, 04:21 PM
86GoldProject
Pro

I used the factory power wire and factory antenna wires and simply ran new speaker wires, sounds great!
Old 05-31-2008, 10:20 AM
Yellow2015
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewball
Last sunday I just removed my old Bose system from my 87 and put in an aftermarket set of speakers and receiver. I used the existing wiring for the speakers without any problems.

I did mine 3 years ago. Once you determine which wires are for the amp and which were for the speaker (an fsm helps here), just use the latter ones. This also allows you to go back to bose if you ever decide to.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about changing out stereo

Quick Reply: Question about changing out stereo