C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What type of plugs? oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 04:18 PM
cwyates4
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What type of plugs? oil?

I'm getting ready to do a tune up on my 85, but ran into a snag.

I don't really know what type of plugs I need. I want to use the best plug possible, like a Bosch platinum+4. I have aluminum fast burn (vortec style) heads and headers if that makes a difference.

Also, I want to switch to Mobil 1 synthetic. The engine has about 15K on it, and is driven year round in Texas. What weight oil am I looking for?

Just want to make sure I buy the right things before I tear into it.
Thanks for the help.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:34 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

Stay away from Bosch +4 plugs at all cost. Nothing but a poorly manufactured marketing gimick that has been documented quite a few times to cause problems. I have the best luck with NGK, AC Delco, Autolite and Denso standard type plugs.

Mobil One is good oil and there is nothing wrong with it. What weight oil you should run is dependant on how your engine builder set the brg clearances and oil pump by pass spring up in your engine. Engine builders have very specific ideas on what is the best way to do things and opinions vary. Best advice I could give you is to contact him and ask what weight oil he recommends.
Will
Old 06-04-2008, 04:48 PM
cwyates4
Melting Slicks

Ok, thanks for the response.

So just a normal type plug is my best bet, but is there a specific type I need for the aluminum fast burns heads with headers? Or will just any standard chevy small block plug work?
Old 06-04-2008, 08:15 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

I use the AC Delco 41-629 plug. It is a little longer than the plugs used for iron heads. I have AFR 180's aluminum heads. They are not expensive as compared to other plugs. You might want to do a search on "cut back plugs" and decide if you want to do this. If you can't find anything thru your search, then PM with a email address and I will send you a word file and picture. What ever plug you end up with...be SURE to use antiseize on the plug threads before screwing them into the aluminum heads.

Is you engine new or recently rebuilt with new gaskets? If not, you may want to stay away from Mobil 1. This has a high detergent level and cleans up all the S**T that builds up. If you are running an old engind (few miles) and old original gaskets you may end up with MANY OIL leaks.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:00 PM
cwyates4
Melting Slicks

The engine was all done new from the bottom up in 06, so I guess mobil 1 will be fine.

I went ahead and bought a set of ac delco rapidfire #5s. I'll pick up the oil tomorrow, probably go with 5w-30 or 10w-30, not sure yet.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:33 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,562 Likes on 2,162 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I use Mobil 1 10W30 oil and AC Rapidfire spark plugs on my 85. Runs great. Did the same with the 87 which I ran for several years and many miles. Great plugs. Great oil.

Get notified of new replies

To What type of plugs? oil?

Quick Reply: What type of plugs? oil?