C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

sprag blower cog pulley pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Gunsbee
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good. I didnt really say what i meant on my last message. My crank pulley is one piece it runs the regular belt for the alt, ps, all of that. As well as the 12 rib supercharger belt. Im not sure if you can get a pulley thats one piece or 2 doesnt make any difference to me. If you know, was the mustang running an electric fan? If so what kind? I cant find one thin enough to fit between the radiator and the supercharger idler pulley.
Thanks again. Your info is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:51 AM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunsbee
Sounds good. I didnt really say what i meant on my last message. My crank pulley is one piece it runs the regular belt for the alt, ps, all of that. As well as the 12 rib supercharger belt. Im not sure if you can get a pulley thats one piece or 2 doesnt make any difference to me. If you know, was the mustang running an electric fan? If so what kind? I cant find one thin enough to fit between the radiator and the supercharger idler pulley.
try a flexalite 210 which is the double 12" fan.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:27 AM
makn u shiver
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunsbee
hi ,the cog/serpentine pulley is basically the exact same piece as the pic below .the mustang does use a electric fan that we got from a local parts source i will check the brand name and specs next time i go there .the issue of the tensioner pulley i know exactly what you are talking about and i made a new one to solve the clearance issues , i had to make one anyway because a cog drive cant use a spring loaded tensioner that will bounce around and strip cog teeth for sure it has to be lockable .these all are minor issues that are very easy to fix and i will help you out as much as i can if you would like.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Gunsbee
5th Gear

That piece looks like the one I need as long as the depth is right. The tensioner I have is a locking model not a spring loaded. I dont understand exactly what your saying about the tensioner pulley stripping the cog belt teeth. My tensioner pulley runs on the back of the belt not the tooth side.
I think I should be able to use the tensioner I have. I am including some pics of my setup so you know exactly what im working with. Sorry about the pics my fan shroud is a pain to get off. Sorry about the pics my fan shroud is a pain to get off. In your post on 8-25 you said the belt was 30mm wide. I assume you meant 30cm wide. Please correct me if im wrong. My belt was about 43cm wide. Im not sure if you did but just making sure you didnt send me anything you said you were gonna PM? (im assuming private message) me. Just making sure you didnt. Yes Im sure I will need help as you can probably tell. Thanks.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...m/GEDC0589.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...m/GEDC0590.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...m/GEDC0591.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...m/GEDC0592.jpg
Sorry about the links I couldnt get them to just show up.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:47 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

30mm --> 25.4 mm/in --> 1.18 in wide. He was correct in saying 30mm.

30cm --> 300mm --> 11.8 in wide. Way to big for SC drive belt.

Is that a 14 rib you are running on the Mustang? I think you should look at the belt wrap as an issue vs jumping to a cog set-up.

BTW, if idler allows belt to get loose in a cog drive, it very quickly will shear teeth from the belt, vs a ribbed belt where it will just slip a bit. This is why the idler in a cog system must be fixed vs spring tension.
Aaron

Last edited by AKS Racing; 09-05-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:49 PM
davekusa
Intermediate

I had to can the fan and run a SPAL electric fan.

also:

BUMP, update for a 50mm 30 tooth sprag pulley. PM me
Old 09-06-2008, 03:44 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

How are you getting it to clear the frame?
Old 09-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Gunsbee
5th Gear

Thanks for the info Aaron. The belt i was running was a 12 rib but it was slipping and got too hot and shredded. I have a 6 rib on there now just to limp it around until I figure out what direction im going to go. I dont know what you mean by "look at the belt wrap as an issue". Please let me know what you mean.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2008, 09:13 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

"Belt wrap issue with your set-up" is that you are getting ~180° wrap on both the drive and driven pullies. If you can figure out a way to increase belt wrap on both pullies (tends to slip worse on the smaller pulley; belt angularity), then this will go a long way towards avoiding slip.

On the C4 vettes, you can figure ways to increase belt warp on the driven pulley to ~330°. You can get a lot of boost out of six rib systems if the bracket / idler set-ups are designed properly. Do a search on this forum on belt slip, and you will probably find some of my old detailed posts on how to increase belt wrap on the various blower head units.
Aaron
Old 09-19-2008, 06:59 PM
davekusa
Intermediate

bump,

any updates?
Old 09-21-2008, 02:20 AM
makn u shiver
Pro

Originally Posted by davekusa
bump,

any updates?
will be done very soon ,sending pm with my contact info
Old 10-02-2008, 01:38 PM
boost hungry
Navigator

Originally Posted by makn u shiver

Heres a few pics of a 40 tooth sprag pulley for a 30/35 mm wide belt i just made ,im almost finished the 32,34,36, pulley's then they all will be made on cnc machines .the sprag pulley i'm testing on a friends stang is still performing excellent..
i also have a vortech ysi trim supercharger and i am currently looking for a sprag supercharger pulley but i need one that has 26 or 28 teeth on it. are you selling these and if so where can i get one? how much are you selling them for? and will they accept 30mm and 50mm belts? the only other place that i know of selling this type of pulley ati performance. and the dont currently make any thing to fit vortech's 20mm shaft size i contacted them and they can custom make me one but thereis a six month waiting period.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:05 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

boost hungry, I did a ton of research on cogging a ysi. The consensus is that is you go under a 30, even with a 50 mm belt, you're probably going to start running into issues with it pulling off the teeth. I believe that it's due to the angularity issues. With a 30mm and a 26 or 28, there's a good chance that you're going to rip the teeth right off the belt. The only way I can imagine a 30 or 35 mm belt working is with a procharger with their bigger blower pullies (like a 40 tooth for example).

Are you currently running a 30 mm cog setup successfully with a 26 or 28?
Old 10-03-2008, 09:48 PM
boost hungry
Navigator

yes let me tell you the set up first the motor is a 408 with bennet racing ported hi-port tfs heads i had auto specialties make me a custom cog set up for my car which happens to be a 1995 saleen s-351 the car ran with the cog set up for two years successfully the current set up is a 73 tooth crank and a 28 tooth s/c pulley i have never ran the 26 s/c pulley i talked the good folks at asp about steping up to the 75 tooth crank as this will increase the blower speed for a 3to 4 lbs. increase across the rpm range . i have had belts come off before but never had one shear the teeth off and this is from deflection of the brackets as vortech doesnt make a race set up for the 1995 stang so i am going to fab up a custom bracket . so is production in the near future i am interested in trying out one of these new pulleys and do you have any idea what pricing will be? also asp does make custom 50mm stuff but there is a 6 to 8 week turn around thanks for any help you may be able to provide craftsmanship looks awesome on the one on the pro-charger just waiting on some Vortech stuff.
Originally Posted by qwiketz
boost hungry, I did a ton of research on cogging a ysi. The consensus is that is you go under a 30, even with a 50 mm belt, you're probably going to start running into issues with it pulling off the teeth. I believe that it's due to the angularity issues. With a 30mm and a 26 or 28, there's a good chance that you're going to rip the teeth right off the belt. The only way I can imagine a 30 or 35 mm belt working is with a procharger with their bigger blower pullies (like a 40 tooth for example).

Are you currently running a 30 mm cog setup successfully with a 26 or 28?
Old 10-05-2008, 02:17 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by boost hungry
yes let me tell you the set up first the motor is a 408 with bennet racing ported hi-port tfs heads i had auto specialties make me a custom cog set up for my car which happens to be a 1995 saleen s-351 the car ran with the cog set up for two years successfully the current set up is a 73 tooth crank and a 28 tooth s/c pulley i have never ran the 26 s/c pulley i talked the good folks at asp about steping up to the 75 tooth crank as this will increase the blower speed for a 3to 4 lbs. increase across the rpm range . i have had belts come off before but never had one shear the teeth off and this is from deflection of the brackets as vortech doesnt make a race set up for the 1995 stang so i am going to fab up a custom bracket . so is production in the near future i am interested in trying out one of these new pulleys and do you have any idea what pricing will be? also asp does make custom 50mm stuff but there is a 6 to 8 week turn around thanks for any help you may be able to provide craftsmanship looks awesome on the one on the pro-charger just waiting on some Vortech stuff.
So you're running a 73/28 with a ysi currently and having no problems or was that with an s or t trim?
Old 10-06-2008, 04:23 AM
bnio
Advanced

Food for thought, how about CVT (constant velocity).
Old 10-07-2008, 10:47 PM
boost hungry
Navigator

what does that mean?????????

Get notified of new replies

To sprag blower cog pulley pics

Old 10-07-2008, 10:53 PM
boost hungry
Navigator

thats correct a ysi with a cog set up 30mm belt with a73/28 tooth.
Originally Posted by qwiketz
So you're running a 73/28 with a ysi currently and having no problems or was that with an s or t trim?
Old 10-08-2008, 12:29 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by boost hungry
thats correct a ysi with a cog set up 30mm belt with a73/28 tooth.
that's awesome to know. I surfed the corral for a while and only found one guy that made this work. It's good to know it's possible since my crank on the vette would probably be a 7.35 or 7.5 and the blower would be a 2.8.

So what's the smallest cog you'll make again for the sprag?
Old 10-08-2008, 03:18 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by bnio
Food for thought, how about CVT (constant velocity).
Like a Paxton?

Quick Reply: sprag blower cog pulley pics