C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dynamat or ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 11:44 PM
BlackHarleyMan
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 85 500 horse
I had this stuff extensively applied to my car and it WORKS! My door panels were loaded up with this "QuietCar" stuff and the difference, I am told, is night and day. Mind you, my restorer still has my car, but I had him spray this liquid everywhere and he told me that in addition to using Dynamat, he used QuietCar and it makes a substantial and noticeable positive difference. He said the noise the doors now make when closing sounds solid as opposed to what they used to sound like.

You can apply QuietCar via roller or spray it on. I had it sprayed on. The more coats you apply, the better it works.
So how much of this stuff did he use in addition to the Dynamat that was already used? Isn't there also a point to where this becomes a substantial weight issue?

R/Noland
Old 09-01-2008, 12:06 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by BlackHarleyMan
So how much of this stuff did he use in addition to the Dynamat that was already used? Isn't there also a point to where this becomes a substantial weight issue?

R/Noland
Noland, you know both of us need special dampening as we hear things others dont
Old 09-01-2008, 02:51 AM
BlackHarleyMan
Drifting

Originally Posted by steve40th
Noland, you know both of us need special dampening as we hear things others dont
VERY True!........., so given all of the choices and the test results what's the BEST answer, also taking in consideration of weight.

Noland

P.S. LT4 I SWEAR I don't mean to hijack this thread, so please don't take it like that, I just need to know what choices are you seriously considering here because I may follow suite!
Old 09-01-2008, 04:47 AM
makn u shiver
Pro

Originally Posted by JimiHendrix
Wish I had seen this before I "home depoted" my car (although I am very satisfied with the result...especially door panels).

The "how to" section is simply the best I've ever seen regarding sound insulation installation. I like the section on how to test for resonance in the door panels. Thanks for the info!!!
I actually think this is the best way to do it .this stuff is very light compared to the other stuff and i actually think it works better.for me the noise was not the biggest problem it was the heat that use to come up through the floor boards but after the install i was very surprised at the amount of noise and heat it blocked out .just so everyone knows that heavy sound deadener that has foil on one side and the heavy black asphalt stuff on the other side like fatmat,tsunami,dynamat will dry out and crumble like a cookie in a few years .you can go to home depot and get the stuff that has foil on both sides .the total weight you will ad to your car will be about 10-15lbs only compared to the 35-45 lbs of the others.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:21 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

P.S. LT4 I SWEAR I don't mean to hijack this thread, so please don't take it like that, I just need to know what choices are you seriously considering here because I may follow suite!
No prob I've actually been working (lol) in vegas, and just got back, so I haven't decided anything yet....too many choices
Old 09-01-2008, 04:25 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

I ordered some dynamat extreme for my doors, maybe enough for rear, or I will do my door and rear carpet, as no passenger ever reall cares to ride with me. Besides, my door has NO insulation at all right now. So, it should be a difference. Will know by this weekend. I may get a decibel meter and test before and after.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:02 PM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

R/Noland
I wasn't concerned with weight as I'm not planning on racing my car. I'm more concerned with interior sound. MY B&B setup is pretty loud and has a good deal of resonance, so much so that it's difficult to carry on a conversation. And I don't feel like dropping a grand for a Corsa.

One gallon of "QuietCar" weighs about 12 lbs., so one gallon when applied, cannot add more than 12 lbs. to your car. My restorer was able to get away with only using one gallon. He did both doors and the interior had Dynomat applied. He said the door sound after QuietCar application is night and day.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:14 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

I wasn't concerned with weight as I'm not planning on racing my car. I'm more concerned with interior sound. MY B&B setup is pretty loud and has a good deal of resonance, so much so that it's difficult to carry on a conversation. And I don't feel like dropping a grand for a Corsa.

One gallon of "QuietCar" weighs about 12 lbs., so one gallon when applied, cannot add more than 12 lbs. to your car. My restorer was able to get away with only using one gallon. He did both doors and the interior had Dynomat applied. He said the door sound after QuietCar application is night and day.
I would love to see pics of where he sprayed your doors. If I did it it would be a MESS!
Old 09-02-2008, 01:24 AM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

I would love to see pics of where he sprayed your doors. If I did it it would be a MESS!
I don't think my restorer took pictures of the QuietCar's application, but if you go to the following website, you'll see what he sprayed. The picture isn't of my car, but I'm sure this is what he did. The first link is QuietCar's home page, but the second is what the car door looks like before and after the application of "QuietCar." Take a look at the entire site; it is very interesting. And make sure you listen to the gong and drum symbol. You'll see what I mean if you go to the website.

http://www.quietcoat.com/ (home page)

http://www.quietcoat.com/html/examples.html (door after application)

As long as you cover what you don't want sprayed, you should be fine. The spray gun is an option and an expensive one at that. But I went for it because I figured that it would take half the time to apply QuietCar with the spray gun than if the restorer brushed it on by hand. I'm sure that I made the money back by not paying him to brush it on. And the spray gun will get into the nooks and crannies that a brush cannot reach.

With this post, you'd think that I was a QuietCar employee. It's just that my restorer was so impressed with the results of this product that I wanted to share his observations and comments.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:28 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Thanks. I see now what it should look like. Wagner power sprayer may work to.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:00 AM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

The site recommends their spray gun because the liquid is very thick and their gun was designed for this particular liquid. If you already have a Wagner power sprayer, I'd try it first. Why buy their gun if you don't have to? But remember, if you are going to try your Wagner, make sure you thoroughly clean it as soon as you are finished spraying. Their site says that the liquid dries pretty quickly and you don't want to ruin your spray gun. You can always buy their gun if it doesn't work. But if it does, you save $50.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:32 AM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Are there pre cut systems out there, so you dont have to cut yourself?
And where is the cheapest place to but Dynamat extreme, or Raamat
The precut system is made by Crazy Cowboy, a forum member, and sold by Exotic Muscle. Not bad looking, I was going to install one in my car along w/ everything else, but decided it was too much. The pieces do require a lot of triming.

R/Noland
Noland, I used about one whole roll Of the Raamat, weight is about 25 lbs. The foam was about 30 lbs, I would guess.

The site recommends their spray gun because the liquid is very thick and their gun was designed for this particular liquid. If you already have a Wagner power sprayer, I'd try it first. Why buy their gun if you don't have to? But remember, if you are going to try your Wagner, make sure you thoroughly clean it as soon as you are finished spraying. Their site says that the liquid dries pretty quickly and you don't want to ruin your spray gun. You can always buy their gun if it doesn't work. But if it does, you save $50.
Many people sell this type of deadener, Second Skin has a very good product called Sludge, and remember, you can also use a roller to apply this stuff.

Randy
Old 09-29-2008, 01:19 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

I bought a few sheets off of ebay and installed it , one door so far. WOW, that door has never been this quite. I am a believer in Dynamat Extreme. I am sure all of these products work very well.
I am very happy, and it was like 28 bucks for enough to do 2 doors.
Does anyone know square footage needed for entire Vette.
Also, do you think this stuff can cancel out the drone of allot of our C4 exhaust systems cause?

Last edited by steve40th; 09-29-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:36 AM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a few sheets off of ebay and installed it , one door so far. WOW, that door has never been this quite. I am a believer in Dynamat Extreme. I am sure all of these products work very well.
I am very happy, and it was like 28 bucks for enough to do 2 doors.?
That's great! I decided to hold off and wait to do mine. I'm busy doing/planning "other" stuff with the car right now
Does anyone know square footage needed for entire Vette?
I'm not sure, sorry.
Also, do you think this stuff can cancel out the drone of allot of our C4 exhaust systems cause?
I'm hoping that it'll help some...probably not much though.

Quick Reply: Dynamat or ????