C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Do I have to replace Dual Mass Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 04:31 AM
Crusin
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for your reply guys. The only clutch that I could obtain was from C/C which is manufactured in China, so didn't purchase. The garage obtained a LUK clutch, which is a German Company but they also have a plant in China. It seems logical that perhaps the so called mechanic didn't tighten down the Pressure Plate evenly. This adventure sure has gotten to be a PITA. Paid them over a $1,000 bills and end up with this.

Last edited by Crusin; 09-15-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:17 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusin
I just had my clutch changed at a garage and they stated I should have the D/M/F machined. They did this and then installed the clutch. It shifted fine at low speeds but when I shifted into first gear and gave it some gas the engine just reved up. I tried this more than once with the same results. Happened in 1st and 2nd when given gas. Could the clutch be installed incorrectly or is it because the D/M/F was machined causing it to go out of balance? The machinest said that maching the flywheel wouldn't hurt anything. I am not to sure about that assessment. Any logical advice would be appreciated. Thank you
If it were a balance issue, the problem would be vibration/noise. I would refer to what it typically means when the engine revs and the car doesn't move. I would think that the issue is either, there is a problem with the friction disc not engaging with the flywheel, or with the friction disc itself. The flywheel is prebalanced from the factory and keyed, so it only goes on one way. But it is clearly stated in the FSM that these flywheels are not to be machined, as this compromises the seal between the two plates. There is a spring in there that is packed with grease. If this seal is corrupted, it causes grease to escape onto the friction surfaces.

There could be binding, which could be preventing the release bearing from letting the clutch engage. Of course there could be the wrong part issue as well.

Question, do you smell anything like like the clutch disc buring after doing this?

When I replaced my clutch, a piece of advise I got from Jim Jandik was to maroon scotchbrite the new fly wheel and the pressure plate to add a little "scuff" to the surface to aid with break in. Also, it is very, very important that these surfaces are free of grease and chemicals. Just about everything I read suggested frimly to clean all surfaces with a "brake cleaner" type of agent.

Another Q, exactly what to you mean by "giving it gas"? Typicall there is a break in period on new clutches of about 200-300 miles where you do nothing more than normal everyday type driving, before trying any spirited romps on it. This is to allow the disc, pressure plate and flywheel to set and develop a better friction surface. If it gets too much too soon, it can glaze the disc, causing it to lose grip.

Last edited by lt4obsesses; 09-15-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:55 AM
smooth1990
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 96LT4GS
I put a centerforce dual friction clutch and a fidanza aluminum flywheel. It grips like you will not believe and I spent a total of about 400 bucks, but the downside is that it rattles like hell.
Were did you find a centerforce dual friction and a fidanza aluminum flywheel for 400.00?

I just installed mine and it cost me a little over a grand for the clutch and flywheel.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Crusin
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What you stated in your reply Obsesses, makes logical sense to me. A break end period makes sense, but since car was sitting for 2 weeks I may have gotten a little cared away. But you stated were grease escapes unto the friction surfaces if D/M/F is machined, well this problem occurred the very first day I got it from the garage. I don't know how much test driving the mechanic did prior to me picking up the ZR-1 would have caused this situation. I was informed by another member to use my release bearing from my old clutch instead of the one used in this clutch. Obviously I am not a mechanic so don't know if this would solve the problem or not? Thanks for your INFO but at this stage I know where I will be tomorrow. Waiting at the garage for him to open.

Last edited by Crusin; 09-15-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Do I have to replace Dual Mass Flywheel