C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

AC Problem with my 94 vette

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 01:31 AM
boonie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Problem with my 94 vette

I have a AC problem, 1st my AC system is empty so how much freon do i buy? 2, what type of freon do i buy R134,R12? And finally how do i go about installing it? how do i recharge my AC system?
thanks mbbriggs
Old 08-21-2008, 01:35 AM
tcr75
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it takes 134a. I believe it take 1.5 to 1.7 lbs. If it is dead empty then I would recommend you take it to a shop to evac all of the air out. You can fill it yourself, just go to a parts house and get a couple of cans, just be sure that one has a guage and filler on it. You may want to figure out why it is empty. Again I recommend going to a shop. You should be able to find an independant place to do it for under $100
Old 08-21-2008, 01:38 AM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<edit> I was typing while tcr75 was posting. My post adds nothing to his.</edit>
1994 was the first year for R134. Somewhere on the compressor there is a label if you want to double check.

Just about every autoparts store will sell the kit with gauges for the fill. But, IMHO, this might be one of those cases where it is better to take it to an auto HVAC specialty shop instead of buying tools that you may use once every 5 years or so.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:17 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Some of the lubricant has seeped out with the gas so it's a good idea to look for the leak first - around fittings and on the hood above the compressor - look for oil. If you don't see anything, have it leaked checked at a shop, it shouldn't cost a fortune, they want the $'s to fix it for you. Then fix the leak, replace the Accumulator and ADD the appropriate oil charge so that the compressor doesn't become a molten mass of aluminum necessitating a complete rebuild.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:44 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Would like to know some of your symptoms and what indications or tests you used to determine that it is empty. Are you assuming its empty because it is not blowing cold air. Does the blower fan run and have you checked to visually see if the compressor is turning at all. I believe if the system was really low on gas, there should be an indication on the C68 climate control with a flashing LED. This would prompt you to check any error codes with the C68 controller.

And if you are really that low on freon, you definitely need to know if there is some large leek. It would be a waste of freon to add any. Also you can’t add freon if the compressor is not turning. If for some reason you have some kind of electrical problem causing the compressor not to run, then there is approximately 80 to 100 lbs of static pressure in the entire system (high and low side) where if you try to add freon, it just won’t take it or work out well for you.

Get notified of new replies

To AC Problem with my 94 vette

Quick Reply: AC Problem with my 94 vette