C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Edelbrocks new Pro Flo XT intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 12:28 AM
A95Y
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Huh?

I have an Edelbrock Pro FLo Xt. What do you mean? This is made for an
L98(non-Corvette) and is on an LT1(Corvette). I have my C4 computer. I don't know what else could have been done, besides nothing and use my LT1 intake. Please enlighten me.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:09 AM
69Myway
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ckp
I have an Edelbrock Pro FLo Xt. What do you mean? This is made for an
L98(non-Corvette) and is on an LT1(Corvette). I have my C4 computer. I don't know what else could have been done, besides nothing and use my LT1 intake. Please enlighten me.
I'm talking about the other style manifold that looks like a traditional carb set up, but has the throttle body on top with the fuel rails. Those manifolds have great flow characteristics for higher RPM and appears they would work - except I don't know how you would get the after market air throttle body sensors to talk to the stock computer.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:24 AM
A95Y
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Myway
I'm talking about the other style manifold that looks like a traditional carb set up, but has the throttle body on top with the fuel rails. Those manifolds have great flow characteristics for higher RPM and appears they would work - except I don't know how you would get the after market air throttle body sensors to talk to the stock computer.
That may have worked. I wasn't thinking in that direction at the time. I don't know if the fuel distribution would be better than SFI or if I could have used my stock PCM. I've got what I've got for now, and it works good for my purposes.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:10 PM
69Myway
Burning Brakes

I think you made a very wise choice. I should start this on another thread so as not to hijack...but what I'm talking about is going to one of these other types.

To be more clear, I just had a complete Gen VII Acell DFI Thruster system for small block chevy fall in my lap and it will be here this Monday. I'm trying to figure if it is better to sell it, or try to adapt it to my wife's 1986 Corvette. The intake manifold will flow a lot more RPM, and it will be more air. I could either swap injectors and try to get the acell throttle body to talk to the stock PCM or I could overlay the Accell thruster system so the stock PCM still runs some things, but the accel runs the motor.

This system with a hood and modification to the air intake tube would keep the air filter in front of the rad...and add a whole new dimension of performance and tuning to a L98

Old 05-23-2010, 01:04 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I think you made a very wise choice. I should start this on another thread so as not to hijack...but what I'm talking about is going to one of these other types.

To be more clear, I just had a complete Gen VII Acell DFI Thruster system for small block chevy fall in my lap and it will be here this Monday. I'm trying to figure if it is better to sell it, or try to adapt it to my wife's 1986 Corvette. The intake manifold will flow a lot more RPM, and it will be more air. I could either swap injectors and try to get the acell throttle body to talk to the stock PCM or I could overlay the Accell thruster system so the stock PCM still runs some things, but the accel runs the motor.

This system with a hood and modification to the air intake tube would keep the air filter in front of the rad...and add a whole new dimension of performance and tuning to a L98

Sell it and put one of these on there: HSR you will have money leftover for exhaust
Old 05-23-2010, 01:22 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The intake manifold will flow a lot more RPM, and it will be more air.
So Edelbrock has a similar system which they released first, the Edelbrock Pro-Flo 2.

They have since released the Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT. Which is attempting to be used here.

You are right in that the single plane style intake is a great carb intake with nearly a straight shot into the cylinder head, however from the plenum, the XT actually has similar or shorter runners than many single planes making it even better at high-rpm. Indeed Edelbrock found that the XT swapped in place of the Pro-Flo II usually picked up around 20hp up top while loosing nothing to very little down low.

I know there are many people who think the single plane is tops for EFI, which it is for CARB, but depending on the RPM and the setup I feel confident there may be a lot of people who are happier with the XT...

As for making it fit, ckp (formerly cheetah) has provided the forum with what it took to fit on an LT1. The intake, which is designed for Gen 1 SBCs (L98 and other designations) is untested on Corvettes... however keep your ear to the ground for the October issue of Vette Magazine which hits newsstands August 3rd to find out whether it does fit or not...
Old 05-23-2010, 01:25 PM
69Myway
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ch@0s
Sell it and put one of these on there: HSR you will have money leftover for exhaust
Any performance results yet?
Old 05-23-2010, 01:33 PM
69Myway
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by USAsOnlyWay
So Edelbrock has a similar system which they released first, the Edelbrock Pro-Flo 2.

They have since released the Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT. Which is attempting to be used here.

You are right in that the single plane style intake is a great carb intake with nearly a straight shot into the cylinder head, however from the plenum, the XT actually has similar or shorter runners than many single planes making it even better at high-rpm. Indeed Edelbrock found that the XT swapped in place of the Pro-Flo II usually picked up around 20hp up top while loosing nothing to very little down low.

I know there are many people who think the single plane is tops for EFI, which it is for CARB, but depending on the RPM and the setup I feel confident there may be a lot of people who are happier with the XT...

As for making it fit, ckp (formerly cheetah) has provided the forum with what it took to fit on an LT1. The intake, which is designed for Gen 1 SBCs (L98 and other designations) is untested on Corvettes... however keep your ear to the ground for the October issue of Vette Magazine which hits newsstands August 3rd to find out whether it does fit or not...
Very cool - I had a Pro-Flo on a 468 big block 69 Vette...and also installed a Pro-flo on a 1969 small block Vette with a GM ZZ crate motor. Both performed very well. I have tons of experience under these.

I had the pleasure of doing the Accel DFI on a 69 Vette (in fact this system I now have is from that build). I also did one with Pontiac Enthusiast on a 76 Pontiac that we did the Pontiac 400 block and a world products intake/rail kit to get the thruster going with the dual synch. All of these were beyond impressive .

I bought my wife this 86 Vette and she is not warming up to it. The last one she had was the 85 we did the LS2 swap in for Corvette Enthusiast. With a cool 400 hp, ice cold a/c...A4 trans, cruise...etc. etc. the car was what a C4 should be.

So...I find myself scratching my head and looking at this otherwise super clean 86 4+3 car wondering. I looked at www.eficonnection.com for the full LS conversion with coil over plug. However that doesn't solve the limited intake breathing - and I'd be better to drop an LS in there...but I don't want to get that deep.

This thread has been a blast to me - but I wish it had been on a L98 car so we could really see the magic of opening up that breathing.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:45 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread has been a blast to me - but I wish it had been on a L98 car so we could really see the magic of opening up that breathing.
Originally Posted by USAsOnlyWay
The intake, which is designed for Gen 1 SBCs (L98 and other designations) is untested on Corvettes... however keep your ear to the ground for the October issue of Vette Magazine which hits newsstands August 3rd to find out whether it does fit or not...
It is tested with before/after results, however on a modified Corvette.

Very cool you did the LS2, hard to compete with that with a stock L98. Anesthes used a single plane setup however he had a blower so inlet tract routing was very simple. You'll have to post up and show us how it works.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:16 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Any performance results yet?
I just dynoed it but they screwed up and the tune is not perfect here is a thread with video. 268 HP 315 TQ I think there is more in it with a good tune.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...yno-sheet.html

Quick Reply: Edelbrocks new Pro Flo XT intake