C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Long tube headers and Corsa...Loud!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:42 PM
No Go
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Long tube headers and Corsa...Loud!

Nearly finished installing the Exotic Muscle long tube headers (1 3/4) on my 96 LT4 equipped with the Corsa exhaust...no cats...yet.

It is incredibly loud. And honestly, I can't say it is a pleasing sound! Maybe it is the near 12 to 1 compression, but the first light when starting is scary!

It is louder than my Nova with dual 3 inch exhaust and two chamber Flowmasters! Wow...

I will be calling EM for some cat equipped intermediate pipes...

I will say the car lights up the tires in first when before it would just squat and squirt (even with my Nitto RR tires!) I think it picked up on power...will dyno once street tuned.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:57 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good deal man! I have the same set up but WITH cats, and it's just bliss. Must sound absolutely jagged without cats! I'd like to hear that!
Old 12-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You saying it's loud all the time? I have LT's and Corsas, though with bullet cats. It is not loud in normal driving, though it is loud as hell when you step on the go-pedal.

If the sound quality is worse than before, perhaps something is not tightened up?
Old 12-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by No Go
Nearly finished installing the Exotic Muscle long tube headers (1 3/4) on my 96 LT4 equipped with the Corsa exhaust...no cats...yet.

It is incredibly loud. And honestly, I can't say it is a pleasing sound! Maybe it is the near 12 to 1 compression, but the first light when starting is scary!

It is louder than my Nova with dual 3 inch exhaust and two chamber Flowmasters! Wow...

I will be calling EM for some cat equipped intermediate pipes...

I will say the car lights up the tires in first when before it would just squat and squirt (even with my Nitto RR tires!) I think it picked up on power...will dyno once street tuned.

12:1 compression motor and it wouldn't light the tires up before

What else besides the pistons are in this motor?
I'm surprised that you are just getting around to the exhaust now but I am glad that it seems to have woke up your motor a bit.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:20 PM
BluRay
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iroc57
12:1 compression motor and it wouldn't light the tires up before

What else besides the pistons are in this motor?
I'm surprised that you are just getting around to the exhaust now but I am glad that it seems to have woke up your motor a bit.
There is something strange there. My dead stock LT1 lights the tires into the ASR when I curl my toes(in shoes).
Old 12-22-2008, 04:44 PM
ThreeNineSix
Cruising

Default me too!

No Go... im running tpis long tubes (sans cats) and corsa exhaust.... and i've actually thought about cut outs

heres a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiLFAQoXqOo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLk2XOLgOeg

(oddly enough, i dont post much, but in the last few days there's been several posts that were relevant... if this trend keeps up i'll be a forum rat by the end of the week)
Old 12-22-2008, 04:52 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ThreeNineSix
No Go... im running tpis long tubes (sans cats) and corsa exhaust.... and i've actually thought about cut outs

heres a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiLFAQoXqOo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLk2XOLgOeg

(oddly enough, i dont post much, but in the last few days there's been several posts that were relevant... if this trend keeps up i'll be a forum rat by the end of the week)
Thanks for posting the sound clip. I'm seriously considering Melrose long tubes and a Corsa exhaust with a single cat for my 85. I would be quite happy with the sound you have.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:37 PM
No Go
Melting Slicks

Aurora 40: I'm still installing as I've got some 'minor' leaks around the header to intermediate pipe connection. Aside from those...it is still very loud...as I said louder than my other car with dual 3 inch and Flowmasters.

I drive this thing every day to work and waiting in the 'que' while folks in business suits (not me!) stare at the red Corvette with no muffler isn't my cup of tea!

Corsa seems to have a sharpness to it (the compression and cam don't help) that was a ok with cats. I broke this engine-in, matter of fact on the factory cats and no exhaust (and it wasn't this loud!).

I have a set of new intermediate pipes with RT converters on the way from EM. Expensive 'test' buying both, but oh well.

Iroc57: I've had poor experiences with tubular exhaust and durability/leaks. I cracked two OEM exhaust manifolds recently so I didn't have much reason to not try them. Besides I'm running out of easy HP increases!

Bluray: easy there! My Nittos 'drag radial compound' are a bit more grippy than OEM GSCs from a few years ago...that and reduced low end from a 296/304 duration roller cam.

I do have to wonder if this will make autocrosses a bit more difficult. The car was nicely setup so that wheel spin was negligible in a straightline on those courses.

I'm hoping for ~30 whp increase...looking at the heads to OEM exhaust manifold port match...it looks promising (ie significant step).

Last edited by No Go; 12-22-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:33 PM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

The cats should quiet it down quite a bit. I heard a similar setup to mine w/o cats and it was a lot louder.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:02 AM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Iroc57: I've had poor experiences with tubular exhaust and durability/leaks. I cracked two OEM exhaust manifolds recently so I didn't have much reason to not try them. Besides I'm running out of easy HP increases!

You should know that there is NO such thing as easy HP
Old 12-23-2008, 09:36 AM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm hoping for ~30 whp increase...looking at the heads to OEM exhaust manifold port match...it looks promising (ie significant step).[/QUOTE]

I first did my heads, cam etc using the factory exhaust manifold & cats......got a dissappointing 365rwhp

Went back and did EM headers & high flow cats.....around 390rwhp

So you ought to see around 30 whp increase, but more impressive on mine was an increase in torque at all rpms!!!

Old 12-23-2008, 10:52 AM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 400 Likes on 262 Posts

I'm running Corsa and EM long tubes as well.

Mine's loud all the time.

Neighbours love it. Espc at 6Am every Friday morning when I warm it up before work.
Will
Old 12-23-2008, 11:21 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,909 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by rklessdriver

Neighbours love it. Espc at 6Am every Friday morning when I warm it up before work.
Will
WHAT???? DID YOU SAY SOMETHING? I CAN'T HEAR YOU

Old 12-23-2008, 11:45 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

It sounds similar to mine but the Corsas seem to quiet it down just a bit. I have an x-pipe also.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Will

That is obnoxious...i like it...but it is obnoxious

Old 12-23-2008, 09:42 PM
bobmic93
Melting Slicks

Will
Sometimes 5 am on a nice summer day for me. (listen In my signature) The meanest exhaust note on the planet= EM LT's no cats, into x pipe into Corsa mufflers(no resonator) small cam on 110LSA
Old 12-24-2008, 12:41 PM
VetteHeadz
Instructor

Sweet Jesus! Man that sound mean!

Get notified of new replies

To Long tube headers and Corsa...Loud!

Old 12-24-2008, 07:54 PM
No Go
Melting Slicks

rklessdriver: That is about right...I agree the sound is impressive, but is wearing on a daily driver. I depart 0550 each morning so attempts to be good neighbors are an issue too. Thanks for the clip.

EM stated that the RT cat equipped pipes will only loose single digit HP...and decrease the sound especially the 'sharpness' considerably. I tell you the first cylinder to fire on startup is an abolute pop! Makes my little one run and hide with his hands over his ears...yup too loud!

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-25-2008, 02:47 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

I am interested in how yours sounds with the cats installed. Please post a clip. I have the flowmaster cat back with long tubes, and its kinda loud. Not CORSA loud, but loud.
I also need to make sure my tune wont ruin the metal type cats.
Is your tune not going to be too rich for the cats?
Old 12-25-2008, 06:30 AM
fc_soldier
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm going with this same setup. I think Im going with the 3 inch magnaflow hi flow cats.

Quick Reply: Long tube headers and Corsa...Loud!