C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Check gauges light...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Gixster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Check gauges light...

Over the last month or so, the check gauges light on my '94 LT1 M6 illuminates infrequently. I've already done a search and didn't find anything that covered exactly what I was looking for.

I read through the FSM and didn't find much mention other than the light will illuminate when the oil pressure, oil temperature, water temperature, or voltage hit the red range.

In my case, I think it's related to the oil pressure. When the car is cold, the oil pressure is fine, no light. When the car is warmed up and moving at speed, no light. The only instance the light comes on is when the car is at operating temperature and idling. Even then, it isn't solid. It will flicker as if it's right on the edge of the red range. When I look at the oil pressure gauge when this is happening, the gauge is *not* always in the hashed range. Does anybody know at what point the check gauges light is triggered in relation to the oil pressure? I was not able to locate that information in the FSM either. Also, I'm running 10W-40 Mobil 1.

How can I go about determining if the problem is actually low oil pressure, or if the sending unit is toast?

The car has 170k on it and runs great. No odd noises from the bottom end or the engine in general. It is a daily driver obviously. I don't beat up on it, but I do drive it like it's meant to be driven.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:27 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Gixster
How can I go about determining if the problem is actually low oil pressure, or if the sending unit is toast? .
Check OP with a known working mechanical gauge

Hot engine at idle , hi miles ; might be bleeding off some oil pressure through the bearings
Old 01-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Gixster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rodj
Check OP with a known working mechanical gauge

Hot engine at idle , hi miles ; might be bleeding off some oil pressure through the bearings
I need to find a mechanical gauge. I don't have one. Where would it be connected I wonder? Same location on the back of the block where the sending unit is?

As for bleeding off pressure through the bearings, that was my first thought. Just not the one I wanted to entertain as being the case.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gixster
I need to find a mechanical gauge. I don't have one. Where would it be connected I wonder? Same location on the back of the block where the sending unit is?

As for bleeding off pressure through the bearings, that was my first thought. Just not the one I wanted to entertain as being the case.
It can run for another 100K loose, older engines ran that way with no problems.
Don't sweat it

Get notified of new replies

To Check gauges light...

Quick Reply: Check gauges light...