C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85 Modified Chip Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_t
IMO you need to ditch the 85 ECM for starters - its a dinasour! Its update rate is so slow thats its practicly impossible to work with (IMHO obviously). I've got an 85 and I swapped in a ECM from a 91 MAP car (7730) - this is SUPER tuneable - it was a lot of work but I don't regret it for one minuite
Wrong answer. Beach Bum, Ralph. 85corvette Corkvette,Guys are running in the 10's and they are using the stock ECM. Get a hold of

Ski dwn it. He tuned all the cars listed above.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:51 AM
steven mack
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default chip

Do not I repeat do not buy a chip from Harris Performance.The guy does not know how to tune a chip. I bought one and another person I know bought one and they both were lousy.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MR NICE
85 will take care of its self no tuning needed.
Think this may be very close to the truth. Problem with the 85 is not many people do them since 85 was a single year ECM/chip. Not absolutely sure Moates burning gear will do an 85. When I bought mine it would not. If you, or anyone else,plans to do anything like serious mods to an 85 you consider upgrading to the next generation ECM/chip. This opens bunches of doors for custom tuning.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:23 PM
dan_t
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Corvette0096
Wrong answer. Beach Bum, Ralph. 85corvette Corkvette,Guys are running in the 10's and they are using the stock ECM. Get a hold of

Ski dwn it. He tuned all the cars listed above.
So they run 10s? So does a CARB'ed car... does that make it better?

I don't doubt that they run strong at all but to sort a WOT tune takes what 5-10mins IF THAT? Im sure its easily do-able with the 85 ECM but I'd rather have an ECM with a decent resoultion for fueling and spark tables as well as an ECM that gives me data more than once every second.

I bet less time would be spent swapping an ECM than would be to get decent all-round performance on the original.

Last edited by dan_t; 01-30-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Corvette0096
Race Director

So they run 10s? So does a CARB'ed car... does that make it better?

I don't doubt that they run strong all but to sort a WOT tune takes what 5-10mins IF THAT? Im sure its easily do-able with the 85 ECM butI'd rather have an ECM with a decent resoultion for fueling and spark tables as well as an ECM that gives me data more than once every second.

I bet less time would be spent swapping an ECM than would be to get decent all-round performance on the original.
Hey there turbo!

My ski dwn it was check by tjwong on the forum here at his dyno shop and it was nuts on. TJWONG IS ALSO A TUNNER! You crack me up!! What does yours get at the track?
Old 01-30-2009, 04:29 PM
dan_t
Burning Brakes

Hey there turbo!

My ski dwn it was check by tjwong on the forum here at his dyno shop and it was nuts on. TJWONG IS ALSO A TUNNER! You crack me up!! What does yours get at the track?
Did I use too many big words for you to comprehend what I was saying?

Lets try this with smaller words.

Just because it works doesn't make it the best.

There i even made it big for you too
Old 01-30-2009, 05:16 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

This thread seems to have wandered away from the original inquiry. What I have gathered from all this is that a mildly modified 85 will run just fine on a stock ECM. If you have a heavily modified 350 or a 383, a custom burn is definitely desirable. Then you get into all the discussion about ugrading ECMs, etc.

I want to thank those who offered their advice. What I got out of this was that my chip is not the problem with my mildly modified 85. I went back to the books to look for other solutions. I came to the conclusion I need to replace the stock fuel pressure regulator with an adjustable one. TPiS has a lot of good dyno data on what fuel pressure works best with an 85 350. Mine is several psi too low.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Just because it works doesn't make it the best.

There i even made it big for you too
I have the world fastest 381CID 219 super ram 85 corvette. Tunned by ski dwn it.

New best mph is 120+

What don't you understand? You crack me up turbo.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:28 AM
dan_t
Burning Brakes

I'm obviously wasting my time with you.

Well done your the fastest

Well done you have the best ECM in the world

Shame its an Auto though, maybe you'll learn to drive a stick shift one day.

As long as that makes you feel good about yourself the rest of us can carry on with what was being discussed.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:26 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Originally Posted by cumbercr
Anyone heard of Harris Performance chips? I'm looking for a chip that will work with a mild cam, 10:1 compression and improved exhaust. I'm having trouble finding anyone that will burn a custom chip for an 85. This company has two different versions running from $104 to $144.

I've read many of the posts and websites regarding how to burn your own and I am frankly overwhelmed by the hardware/software and knowledge required.
Turbo read his post. He is asking the forum if anyone one heared about harris chips! Tunning his car is overwhelming. Basically he is asking the forum what to do. I happen to have a 85 vette that was tested by anouther tunner in town here and it was nuts on! So basically I'm trying to help the guy out.

Oh, the auto thing, I bracket race and as you know it is proven that autos are more consistent then sticks. My new Z06 will be a stick.

No numbers on your car hot pants?

Heres a link

http://www.azzatochips.com/

Still laughing Turbo.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:21 AM
dan_t
Burning Brakes

LOL @ calling me Hot Pants - whatever turns you on dude - Don't like to imagin what you were thinking when you wrote this... but sorry not my bag.

No numbers yet no - still a learning curve for me, but i prefere to learn about something rather than just paying some guy to do my work for me. I guess if your not smart enough to understand it then its your only option.

Your car is an impressive show of money. Well done

I'm just trying to understand, are you still trying to say that the 85 ecm is better? lol - I've got all day...

Last edited by dan_t; 01-31-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:24 AM
dan_t
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cumbercr
This thread seems to have wandered away from the original inquiry. What I have gathered from all this is that a mildly modified 85 will run just fine on a stock ECM. If you have a heavily modified 350 or a 383, a custom burn is definitely desirable. Then you get into all the discussion about ugrading ECMs, etc.

I want to thank those who offered their advice. What I got out of this was that my chip is not the problem with my mildly modified 85. I went back to the books to look for other solutions. I came to the conclusion I need to replace the stock fuel pressure regulator with an adjustable one. TPiS has a lot of good dyno data on what fuel pressure works best with an 85 350. Mine is several psi too low.

I am sorry about that - I probably should have read the other replies before posting. I only read your first post and then scrolled to the bottom to reply

I'm deffinately not trying to say that the ECM your using right now won't work but I do beleive that before spending money on it (ie paying for others to tune) that an upgrade from that ECM to a later one might have been a better idea.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:33 AM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Turbo read his post. He is asking the forum if anyone one heared about harris chips! Tunning his car is overwhelming. Basically he is asking the forum what to do. I happen to have a 85 vette that was tested by anouther tunner in town here and it was nuts on! So basically I'm trying to help the guy out.

Oh, the auto thing, I bracket race and as you know it is proven that autos are more consistent then sticks. My new Z06 will be a stick.

No numbers on your car hot pants?

Heres a link

http://www.azzatochips.com/

Still laughing Turbo.
Thanks for the link. Looks like he's a true expert and the price is right. I'll give him a call and see what he recommends for my build and my driving needs.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:48 AM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

I am sorry about that - I probably should have read the other replies before posting. I only read your first post and then scrolled to the bottom to reply

I'm deffinately not trying to say that the ECM your using right now won't work but I do beleive that before spending money on it (ie paying for others to tune) that an upgrade from that ECM to a later one might have been a better idea.
There's certainly no need for apologies. I learned some things from people that have been there and done that. And this has been entertaining.

I have not ruled out an ECM upgrade. I'm just not there on the learning curve yet. Today, I have an engine running too lean and pinging under load. I need to get that corrected to prevent engine damage. As a result of this thread, I have a plan. I'm going to increase fuel pressure to where TPiS recommends and then look seriously at a custom chip to get some extra performance.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

I'm just trying to understand, are you still trying to say that the 85 ecm is better? lol - I've got all day... [/QUOTE]

The car was a tax right off. Business owner and I sponsored my car.

Is the 85 ecm the fastest for downloading data? Nope. Is your 870? Nope. Do you really think this guy wants to repin his ecm and learn tunning? Nope! He wants some that has the ability to tune his car and get on with everyday life. Is Ski Dwn it capable? Yep.

Get the point yet?

Now if his MAF burn off relay was bad I would tell him to repin to a 870.

My advice to you turbo. Put your money into a Z06 and do heads cam exausht and be done.

You will be miles ahead of your 870. )
Old 01-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

[QUOTE=cumbercr;1568766794]Thanks for the link. Looks like he's a true expert and the price is right. I'll give him a call and see what he recommends for my build and my driving needs.[/QUOTE

Yah, leave it in the hands of the experts. Motor are not cheap. Just buy my vette for 15k and be done with it. Over 6k in the heads and intake and TB alone.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:02 PM
dan_t
Burning Brakes

I'm just trying to understand, are you still trying to say that the 85 ecm is better? lol - I've got all day...
The car was a tax right off. Business owner and I sponsored my car.

Is the 85 ecm the fastest for downloading data? Nope. Is your 870? Nope. Do you really think this guy wants to repin his ecm and learn tunning? Nope! He wants some that has the ability to tune his car and get on with everyday life. Is Ski Dwn it capable? Yep.

Get the point yet?

Now if his MAF burn off relay was bad I would tell him to repin to a 870.

My advice to you turbo. Put your money into a Z06 and do heads cam exausht and be done.

You will be miles ahead of your 870. )[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your advice - I think I'll stick with the car I've got though, I know it well and for what it is its pretty fun For me its not about being the fastest, its the enjoyment of driving.

I THINK you'll find that the 730 ecm is up to OBD1 specs so is pretty good with regards data-readout but much more importantly it has a far better resoulution when it comes to fuel and spark cells. This is really useful and I don't think anyone can deny that? You have more abillity to get the cell right on and there is less room for error.

I never said it was the best I was stating to the OP that his options might push him towards an updated ECM in the future, if he was planning to do further upgrades he might have saved some money by doing the swap sooner rather than later.

I can see we both have our own opinions on this and thats life - I think you'll find that you can have better discussions and debates without "name-saying".

I have my opinion which I beleive to be right, and you have yours which you beleive to be right. I don't think that either of them are wrong. And I also beleive that each of them has there place on the forum for discussion. If you had posted before me to say that its possible to have a 10 second car with the 85 ECM's I wouldn't have just tried to bashed you down.

Its a shame that we're not closer as a get together at the track would be awesome, I'd be a million miles behind you in 1/4mile times but it would be fun non the less At least your pationate about what you do and I respect that

Peace.

Get notified of new replies

To 85 Modified Chip Recommendations

Old 01-31-2009, 12:29 PM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Its a shame that we're not closer as a get together at the track would be awesome, I'd be a million miles behind you in 1/4mile times but it would be fun non the less At least your pationate about what you do and I respect that

Peace.[/QUOTE]

SUCK UP!! I was just getting into this.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:33 PM
thecatmac
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sure I got mine chip from this guy....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAGE2-CHIP-...-/130207926555
I remember I needed to get a 165 degree thermostat. Cooling fan goes on earlier, like 185. I either got a stage 1 or 2 chip, I can't remember anymore...
Still runs great so I'm happy still....
Old 07-31-2014, 07:58 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by dustmann
Try Ed Wright in Tulsa, Ok. His site is http://fastchip.com . He only tunes GM cars and has his own dyno. He is great! Tell him you found him on the forum and that Douglas with the white convertible super charged corvette sent you. His phone number 918-446-3019
I have had Ed do 2 chips for my '85 computer,

First one was the 350, Lunati .500 lift, 24 lb injectors, with stock chip the car ran 39 sec at the hillclimb, only change to car was Ed Wright Fastchip , ran 37 sec, so there is something to be gained,

second chip was 383, .530 lift 30 lb injectors, engine tune is good so far.

Quick Reply: 85 Modified Chip Recommendations