C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Permanent high beam indicator

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 06:32 PM
BTrey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Permanent high beam indicator

My drivers side headlight quit working on low beam. I picked up a couple of new headlights but when I went to replace the non-working one, I found that one of the wires was loose - it had worked it's way out of the black plastic connector. Then when I pulled the connector off the light, all three wires were lose. I put the connector back together and replaced both head lights. (The old ones were getting dim anyway.) After buttoning everything back up, the lights work fine. I can change from high to low beam, both lights work in both modes. (And the difference between the old lights and the new Silver Stars is quite noticiable.) However, the high beam indicator now stays on all the time. I've looked at the wiring diagram and I don't see anything I could have done to cause this issue. Anyone ever seen this before or have any idea what could cause it?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:09 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The high beam indicator is wired in parallel with the high beam filaments on your headlights. You must have a wiring defect where the high beam indicator is connected to 12v somehow. On my 87 the high beam power wire goes to F8 on the firewall connector and is a light green wire. Since you don't post what year vette you are asking help for, this is the best I can do for you. No one on the forum is clairvoyant!
I recommend you trace the high beam wire.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:52 AM
josephf31
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I

Originally Posted by BTrey
My drivers side headlight quit working on low beam. I picked up a couple of new headlights but when I went to replace the non-working one, I found that one of the wires was loose - it had worked it's way out of the black plastic connector. Then when I pulled the connector off the light, all three wires were lose. I put the connector back together and replaced both head lights. (The old ones were getting dim anyway.) After buttoning everything back up, the lights work fine. I can change from high to low beam, both lights work in both modes. (And the difference between the old lights and the new Silver Stars is quite noticiable.) However, the high beam indicator now stays on all the time. I've looked at the wiring diagram and I don't see anything I could have done to cause this issue. Anyone ever seen this before or have any idea what could cause it?
had the same problem, it was a bad ground to the frame running from the headlights, took them off cleaned them good made sure there was solid metal to metal contact between the bolt/star washer/frame and the problem was fixed.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:10 AM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BTrey
Anyone ever seen this before or have any idea what could cause it?
high/low filaments share a common ground lead...poor/open ground at either bulb will 'backfeed' the 'high' beam circuit while 'low' beam is selected and dash teletale will illuminate.

unplug one headlight and try hi/lo beam, if telltale stays on for both beams, unplug the second (leave first unplugged) and retry hi/lo beams...if unplugging either hdlt returns telltale to 'normal', prob is at that bulb/plug...if telltale still illuminates with both bulbs unplugged check wiring harness, esp at ends where plastic jacket aging/shrinking may cause conductor contact.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:36 PM
rickcarol
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by redrose
high/low filaments share a common ground lead...poor/open ground at either bulb will 'backfeed' the 'high' beam circuit while 'low' beam is selected and dash teletale will illuminate.

unplug one headlight and try hi/lo beam, if telltale stays on for both beams, unplug the second (leave first unplugged) and retry hi/lo beams...if unplugging either hdlt returns telltale to 'normal', prob is at that bulb/plug...if telltale still illuminates with both bulbs unplugged check wiring harness, esp at ends where plastic jacket aging/shrinking may cause conductor contact.
Agreed - had the same problem on my 94 and found that the plugs on both headlights were wired wrong. The center prong is NOT ground. Looking at the back of the headlight with the center prong on top the left prong is ground (black), the center prong is low (tan) and the right prong is high (green).
LOW
__
GND - | | - HIGH

Good luck.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:37 PM
rickcarol
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Formatting didn't quite work out but I think you can get the idea.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:47 PM
BTrey
Advanced

Rickcarol, thanks for the info bro. I had the light wired up wrong, of course. Rewired it to your specs and everything's back to normal.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:15 PM
rickcarol
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

You are welcome - glad to help. It stumped me for 3 months!!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:43 PM
garwood94
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Me Too!

My '95 indicates high beams on for several minutes after I switch back to low beams, then the indicator clears. I will check the ground wires and plug wiring tonight and see which of these problems I have - thanks everyone for sharing!!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Hillsboro95
3rd Gear

Rickcarol, thanks for the diagram! Exactly what was wrong with my '95. Appreciate it! Worth a beer at Corvette Funfest if you go to it in 2013, I have been chasing this since I bought the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Permanent high beam indicator

Quick Reply: Permanent high beam indicator