C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Replacing Front Caliper Seals

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:31 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Replacing Front Caliper Seals

Upon inspection late last year I noticed the piston seals on my right front brake caliper were pretty much toasted. I originally planned to just purchase new claipers for the front but elected to replace the seals myself since the Fed Govt don't know how to manage money and needs to suck more out of the working people's pocket.

Looks to be a pretty simple job, but if anyone has any advise, .
Old 01-27-2013, 08:20 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Have plenty of fresh fluid there for bleeding...

The ABS will cause it to trap air if you allow the calipers to drain. There is a process for this, but I do not have it. You may want to shop around and find some "self bleed" screws. These are check valves so 1 man can bleed easily. Just open the screw and pump the pedal. Tighten the screw when done. It has a check valve inside.
The seals are easy. Messy but easy.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:04 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not a hard job, just be sure to elevate or pinch off the brake line after removing the caliper so you don't get too much fluid loss. Just as a counterpoint, I race my 94 Corvette and routinely damage my piston seals from high temps; I never replace these with no ill effects. lf you let the job slide, I don't think its going to make much difference.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Front Caliper Seals

Quick Reply: Replacing Front Caliper Seals