C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can anyone explain the principle behind the rear suspension/steering???

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 11:29 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 250 Posts

Default Can anyone explain the principle behind the rear suspension/steering???

How much can the rear wheels "turn"? Do the tie rods keep both wheels the same, or is it more of a stabilizer? Guess I just don't know how the whole thing comes together :confused: Sure would make it eaiser to diagnose problems if I knew what the heck was going on back there.......Thanks
Old 01-27-2002, 11:44 AM
RocketSled
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Can anyone explain the principle behind the rear suspension/steering??? (87SAM)

The C4 does not HAVE rear steering. (That was a 300zx feature...called HICAS, don't remember what it stood for)

If you're haveing the rear end step out, you'll want to check the health of your suspension. Jack the rear wheels off the ground, grab the wheel at 12 and six, and see if there's any vertical play (there shouldn't be.) if so, your hubs need to be replaced.

Grab 'em at 9 and 3, if there's play there, it's suspension related, and I've got to defer to someone here with more experience.

Old 01-27-2002, 11:47 AM
Bill Reid
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Can anyone explain the principle behind the rear suspension/steering??? (87SAM)

To my knowledge the rear wheels do not turn. The tie rods are there to properly align the knuckels for toe in/out. I'm no suspension expert but thought that any rear suspension that is independent should have these kinds of adjustments... including caster/camber and so forth. The stabilizer bar transfers weight (force) from one side of the suspension to the other during cornering... minimizing body roll. Again, I'm no expert but this is my understanding. :cheers:
Old 01-27-2002, 11:53 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Default Re: Can anyone explain the principle behind the rear suspension/steering??? (RocketSled)

The C4 does not HAVE rear steering. (That was a 300zx feature...called HICAS, don't remember what it stood for)
I realize it does not have rear steering although my question may have sounded like it.

I don't think I have a problem with it, just try to understand it.

I have checked the wheel play is you suggested and all is fine :)
Old 01-27-2002, 12:06 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Default Re: Can anyone explain the principle behind the rear suspension/steering??? (billreid1@***.net)

To my knowledge the rear wheels do not turn. The tie rods are there to properly align the knuckels for toe in/out.
Thanks Bill!

What goes on in that "box" that the tie rods mount to underneath in the center? Guess I could go out and look at the Helms book but my butt is planted in this chair right now :bb
Old 01-27-2002, 12:44 PM
Bill Reid
Le Mans Master

Not sure what goes on in inside the "box". I thought it was just a mount with cups on either side allowing the joint to articluate with suspension travel. I could be wrong though...
Old 01-28-2002, 12:59 AM
Pete89
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure what you are talking about.I think you want to know why the rear of the car jerks or sways when trying to accelerate from a roll.If those are the symptoms check your rear tie rods.
Old 02-03-2002, 11:36 PM
Michael-Dallas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding Nissan, there are 2 versions of HICAS: HICAS in the 90-93 240SX SE fastbacks and Super-HICAS in the 90-96 300ZX Twin Turbo. HICAS stands for HIgh Capacity Active Steering. I don't know the particular details for just plan HICAS, but Super-HICAS works like this:

1- in low speeds, the rear wheels do not steer at all
2- in mid speeds, the rear wheels steer momentarily in counterphase to point the car into the turn, then shift in phase
3- in high speeds, the rear wheels steer in phase only

The rear wheels have a maximum steer of only 1-1.5 degrees. 90-93 models Twin Turbos used a hydraulic system that tapped into the power steering reservoir; 94-96 models used an electric motor system.

If I'm not mistaken, 3000GT VR-4's also had 4WS, however, I don't know how advanced it was. The book I have compares Super-HICAS to the system found in Preludes in the early-90's.

Cheers!

Michael.

Get notified of new replies

To Can anyone explain the principle behind the rear suspension/steering???

Quick Reply: Can anyone explain the principle behind the rear suspension/steering???