C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Msd optispark connector

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 10:56 PM
rs/ss 67
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Msd optispark connector

My 92 LT1 has a different ECM plug end then what was supplied with the new MSD opti that i purchased. Does anyone have the correct harness end number that I need to purchase to make this work.
Thanks in advance,
Steve in Pa.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:21 PM
xrsis
Intermediate

I just ordered the MSD optispark for my 92 as well. I spoke with the tech person at MSD and he said that the optispark 8381 should fit. Have you called MSD directly?
Old 03-26-2009, 03:46 PM
BlackHarleyMan
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rs/ss 67
My 92 LT1 has a different ECM plug end then what was supplied with the new MSD opti that i purchased. Does anyone have the correct harness end number that I need to purchase to make this work.
Thanks in advance,
Steve in Pa.
Steve,
Look up CF member rklessdriver and ask him how he did the MSD wiring setup on his 92.

R/Noland
Old 03-26-2009, 06:00 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackHarleyMan
Steve,
Look up CF member rklessdriver and ask him how he did the MSD wiring setup on his 92.

R/Noland
No need to PM, I happen to be surfing by...

The 93-96 LT1/4 Corvette optispark connector is a 4 wire.

The 92 LT1 Corvettes are a one year only bastard. They have a (1992 only) 5 wire optispark connector. The extra wire in the 1992 connector is a shielded ground wire, GM figured out a year later you don't really need....

If your converting to a newer optispark or using the MSD (which only covers 93-97 unless they have an adapter connector out now), You need to buy a GM Metripack 150 series connector and re-pin the optispark connector (the one attached to the car harness). The wires are all labled (A,B,C,D,E 1992) and (A,B,C,D 93-96) and they are located in the same position in the different connectors, (except for the 1992 shielded ground) so it's a simple pin swap and you just tape up the shielded ground wire.

I got the connector from Mike at EFI Connection for $8.00, that included a set of pins (incase I screwed one up) and shipping.

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/default.aspx

It's an easy swap if you have the proper pin terminal tool. If you do not have the pin terminal tool don't try to remove them from the connector without it. The tool is not expensive and Mike at EFI Connection sells it.
Good luck
Will
Old 03-26-2009, 07:20 PM
rs/ss 67
Advanced

Thanks all for the help--MSD is overnighting the plug for me for free.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:38 PM
BlackHarleyMan
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-26-2009, 09:06 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Im not trying to hurt your feelings, but Id take the MSD's back if you still can.

MSD is like Microsoft. They built their reputation with a great product (for its time) only to become sloppy.

Ive heard nothing but problems w/ MSD optispark.

My MSD problems include:
3 digital 6 plus MSD boxes that malfunctioned leaving me stranded w/ tow required

brand new MSD wires that spark arc'd against the housing of the thermostat (on the coil to distributor wire)

I wish you all luck.
Old 07-05-2023, 09:20 PM
Legolar
6th Gear

Default MSD Optispark Connector 92 LT1

Another way to do this- as I decided to put in a fresh coil, is to pick up an MSD coil. The 2 are a GREAT combo. I didnt need any adapters e.t.c. True- they
maybe have lost a step, but when you order from a reputable supplier- if its a lemon, they'll make it right. I bought mine from SUMMIT, Car has NEVER run so well.
4 degrees +/- in case you ever need the adjustment down the road.

BTW, EVERY manufacture can have a bad day, MSD stilll has the capability of producing a great product. I love GM/AC Delco- but they've had there moments too with

qualitty control.
Mitsubishi Pickups- please. Its no better than 9k Potential Pickup from MSD. BTW, spend $600-$700 and get the best MSD Optispark. You get what you pay for.

Peace

Get notified of new replies

To Msd optispark connector

Quick Reply: Msd optispark connector