C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

FAST EFI XFI Engine Management System GM Chevy L98 TPI

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 02:46 PM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running the Acell Gen 7, along with the dual sync dist. The learning curve was very steep, not because it was hard, but because if you do not take one of thier classes, there is now where to learn. I found someone to teach me and at this point in time I would say I am really happy with the system and find it far superior to burning chips. Tunning on the fly on a dyno, or at the strip it is great. I dont have much knowledge of the Fast or some of the others in how easy they are to tune, but unless someone is willing to teach you what to do, and why, these system will frustrate the hell out you. Once you reach a point of why and how I would not be without one. I would like to see just how easy it is to tune with a Fast system for someone with out any knowledge, I know the Acell was hard. I have yet to see good documentation with the Acell, and ther-in lies the problem.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:21 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by T. Wayne Nelson
I am running the Acell Gen 7, along with the dual sync dist. The learning curve was very steep, not because it was hard, but because if you do not take one of thier classes, there is now where to learn. I found someone to teach me and at this point in time I would say I am really happy with the system and find it far superior to burning chips. Tunning on the fly on a dyno, or at the strip it is great. I dont have much knowledge of the Fast or some of the others in how easy they are to tune, but unless someone is willing to teach you what to do, and why, these system will frustrate the hell out you. Once you reach a point of why and how I would not be without one. I would like to see just how easy it is to tune with a Fast system for someone with out any knowledge, I know the Acell was hard. I have yet to see good documentation with the Acell, and ther-in lies the problem.
I have a friend with a C4 running the Gen 7. He has gone to two classes across the country learning how to tune the thing and it's still not done yet after over a year. My Gen 6 isn't as quick as a properly tuned Gen 7, but at least I can figure it out.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:17 PM
yedister
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 87 vette 81 big girl
The FAST XFI System is nice Sammy.
I have know guys to use it on their 9 second Buick Grand Nationals and 5.0 Mustangs dipping in the low 8's.
My buddie Crazzie Eddie is running 8.20's with the stock Ford ECU yet.
Its Vortech blown with 28lbs of boost.

He tells me the FAST XFI or other aftermarket systems are a waste of money for him.
For him I agree.

I am amazed at the resourcefulness of many C4 owners and home tuners here on C4.
Using stock ECM's yet and flying with them.

If you have the $$ buy the FAST XFI.

From what I can see, its just a luxury till you break out of the 9's 1/4 mile.

I hear FAST XFI is very user friendly, a big plus going for it.

Brian
I hear all these guys with a track only car makes these claims about how it can be done without after market fuel injection, it reminds me of the carb guys that said that you don't need fuel injection. There was a guy in California that I met that use to run mid 8 in a grand national, he drove it there and back home. All he did was turn down the boost and switched tires. He ran 93 octane on the street with lower boost, at the track he switched to the alcohol tank and uploaded the profile for racing and increased the boost. He made slight changes for weather etc. He drove this car on the Hot Rod power tour from start to finish with no problems. There is a place for after market fuel injection, it is not on a mild build. I played the aftermarket chip game on a 415, it never was right, too much timing. On the 434 with 15 degree heads, DFI Gen 7 and a mechanical roller with a 28* intake and exhaust ramp with a lobe separation of 106* set on a 102* that idle at 850 rpm when cold 750 when warmed up.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:41 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a New FAST XFI EFI system out that I only seen in the back of Racing Trade- machinist catalog dated for this month-April.

I spotted the system while visiting a friend in his engine machine shop last month-March.

I believe its called the FAST XFI plus.
Besides all the usual features, this system will fire up to 16 fuel injectors, does data logging, and unlike other systems it works like the OEM ECM does.... It does Block Memory Learns or BLM's.

It automatically learns the spark advance and fuel trim tables as you drive your car on the street or at the track.

Its packaged in a Black Anodized case.

A quick check on Summit Racing.com,
I don't see the NEWEST BLM equipped FAST XFI EFI system.

Anyone else out there have seen it or are using it right now?

Brian
Old 03-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by 87 vette 81 big girl
There is a New FAST XFI EFI system out that I only seen in the back of Racing Trade- machinist catalog dated for this month-April.

I spotted the system while visiting a friend in his engine machine shop last month-March.

I believe its called the FAST XFI plus.
Besides all the usual features, this system will fire up to 16 fuel injectors, does data logging, and unlike other systems it works like the OEM ECM does.... It does Block Memory Learns or BLM's.

It automatically learns the spark advance and fuel trim tables as you drive your car on the street or at the track.

Its packaged in a Black Anodized case.

A quick check on Summit Racing.com,
I don't see the NEWEST BLM equipped FAST XFI EFI system.

Anyone else out there have seen it or are using it right now?

Brian
I think all the new FAST XFI setups do automatic tuning. Not quite the same as BLM.

BLM is a correction from the base tune. XFI 2.0 actually creates the VE table (base tune) as you drive.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:51 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
I think all the new FAST XFI setups do automatic tuning. Not quite the same as BLM.

BLM is a correction from the base tune. XFI 2.0 actually creates the VE table (base tune) as you drive.
That must be what I seen in the catalog then.

Thanks !

BR
Old 03-23-2011, 09:29 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by T. Wayne Nelson
I agree 100% and have had the same experience. It was difficult to learn at first but now its easy cakes. I've tuned a few import cars already with the fast xfi and I can dial them in pretty good in a very short period of time based on DFi knowledge. The DFI is a very advanced system, too advanced if you ask me.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:11 AM
Graham Hanson
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bruce!
Thanks for the excellent feed back!!!
I realize that this post is about 5 years old, but the topic is right up my alley!!! I have fabricated a custom 1955 truck frame, C notched it, & then taken the C4 chassis and rolled it under my now lowered 55 pick up. In other words I have a swapped bodies from a 1988 C4 , ifs, and irs, and an L98 Corvette with a Chevy Truck body... masking its true C4 identity. Here is my burning question. Currently there is no wiring harness. I want to use a self adjusting EFI computer to run the L98 engine. I am told it is very efficient and dependable once installed. What sensors do I need to connect seeing I will be building my own harness. I am a fish out of water at this time as the last hot rod i built was back when no connections were required (just a power wire, to the ignition & all gauges were mechanically monitored no computer or sensors). I'm sailing into uncharted waters. Is it as simple as running one wire to each sensor, plus installing a proper fuel pump system with a return fuel line? What about connecting the L98 cooling fans?. In other words, will the stand alone EFI have basic instructions saying where to run the wires and thats it?? I want to purchase the EZ-EFI Fast electronic universal tuned port EFI and get this engine running ASAP!!! But I don't want to spend the money only to find it to be way too complex. The sales at our local hot rod shop says "no problem, its really EZ!"... he is a very nice person, but has no mechanical expertise!

Last edited by Graham Hanson; 04-02-2016 at 05:14 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:32 PM
heinzeroth
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Haltech GM Sport

Haltech has a simple Sport GM ecm direct swap out ecm for Corvette,Firebird, Camaro and others 1986-1989. Has anyone got any experience with them?

http://www.haltech.com/product/sport-gm/

Quick Reply: FAST EFI XFI Engine Management System GM Chevy L98 TPI