C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1988 c4 won't start. security problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 04:12 PM
DarkBlue88
Pro

Location: Charlotte NC, behind someone going 10 under the speed limit
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bavareze
is the pipe for hitting the starter?
Yup, it's only temporary until I can take it out and clean the contacts.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Barbara_S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the service bullitin that causes this sympton. I had a dealer honor the recall on my 88 about 5 years ago for this, once mine needed me to wait a few minutes every time I wanted to start it:

Service Bulletin Number: 88-292-8A
Bulletin Sequence Number: 151
Date of Bulletin: 8807
NHTSA Item Number: SB003543
Make: CHEVROLET
Model: CORVETTE
Year: 1988
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION
Summary: INTERMITTENT NO START CONDITION CAUSED BY THE VEHICLE ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM (VATS)-T HIS CONDITION CAUSED BY DAMAGED IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER-CAUSES OPEN CIRCUIT AT PE LLET, WHICH SHUTS THE SYSTEM DOWN FOR 4 MINUTES-IF CONTACTS ARE DAMAGED, REPLACE IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER WITH NEW REPLACEMENT LOCK CYLINDER, P/N 26009609-ALL 198 6 TO 1988 CHEVROLET CORVETTE MODELS TLH
Old 04-04-2009, 11:06 PM
bavareze
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

using the "1988 electrical diagnosis service manual supplement", i started work

- i was unable to locate the orange wires coming from key cylinder - please help
- i was unable to locate the park/neutral switch - please help
- i was unable to locate C281 (behind I/P, RH side of steering column) - please help
- do not know how to read ECM codes - please help

my findings:

- when i turn the ingition to START, the voltage on dark solid green wire at the starter motor enable relay becomes from 0 to 12.
- when i short between the Battery+ to starter motor solenoid, the starter motor will crank the engine, but the engine will not start, even if the ignition is in RUN position at this time

so where might be the issue?

anybody able to swing by west LA tomorrow for an oppinion?

any help is highly appreciated!!!

radu
Old 04-04-2009, 11:15 PM
bavareze
Intermediate

one more question: how do i check if the starter enable relay is good?
Old 04-05-2009, 12:58 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Pull the kick panel above the drivers feet, you will see 2 wires from above the steering column (brown and orange) that go to a 2 pin connector. Unplug and insert ign key and measure the resistance across the 2 wires from the steering column. They should measure the same resistance as the pellet in your key. If more than 4% difference, then you need a new ign lock which has new contacts in it that make connection to the pellet. If the resistance is correct, then unplug the gear selector switch which is at the base of the gear shift lever and plug the 2 pin connector back in. Jump the socket and try to start the engine. If it starts, you have a defective gear selector switch. If no start, measure the voltage on the jumper when you hit crank position, there should be 12v there. If no 12v then the start enable relay isn't closing, or has defective contacts.
If the resistance measurement shows a defective ign lock (more than 4% difference resistance from the pellet), you can temporarily bypass VATS to start and run the car by unplugging the 2 pin connector and connecting a fixed resistor the same value as the pellet into the 2 pin socket from the wiring harness (goes to the VATS module). You can use a 1/4 watt 5% resistor from Radio Shack, but its resistance must be within 4% of your pellet resistance or the VATS module won't allow a start, nor allow another attempt for 6 minutes.
Don't permanently bypass VATS because 99% of thefts are done by bashing the column and jumping the ignition.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:19 AM
bavareze
Intermediate

allright, so one key measures 6.02 kohms, the other one has 6.05kohms

now see the pics, which is the pair i have to check?

this is what i see:

http://picasaweb.google.com/bavareze...75933675238338

http://picasaweb.google.com/bavareze...75967816588530

everything seems to be very not so obvious. i have some experience working on bmw e30, e36, vw and others but the corvette seems to be a little bit harder to work on...

thanks,
radu
Old 04-08-2009, 09:11 PM
bavareze
Intermediate

car manual shows need to read some ECM codes to better diagnose the problem. but the same book does not say how to read them. do i need a scan tool or there is some trick to make the IP display them?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:17 PM
bavareze
Intermediate

FINALLY I GOT IT.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bavareze...97751530070530

the wire was interrupted. but as you can see, my wire is not orange, it is black. that's why i got problems locating it. i had to remove the steering wheel to see the actual color.

now: if i change the cylinder, i will get the new cylinder with new keys. new keys have different resistance value, so new VATS module is needed as well.

any idea where can i find a blank (uncut) key with the correct resistance, to use it for cutting new keys for the new lock cylinder?

thanks!
Old 04-20-2009, 11:58 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Resistors can be installed in the keys, just get the correct resistance value installed. You do not change the VATS module! GM dealers should be able to install resistors in the keys. Some locksmiths also can install resistors in keys.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:24 AM
mike o
Heel & Toe

Default starting problems

I'm having similar problems with my 90 convertible. If u want check out my thread 1990 Theft Deterrent System Problems. My best advice is don't waste time with Haynes or other manuals, try to find a (used) Section 8A Electrical Diagnosis Service Manual Supplement ( for your year - 1988 ). I found mine ( 1990 ) on the internet for $20. Ecklers sells the Vats by-pass, and the 84-89 Theft Deterrent Module. Good Luck and I'll try to keep up with u and keep everyone posted on my problem. Thanks
Old 04-22-2009, 02:58 PM
bavareze
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mike o
I'm having similar problems with my 90 convertible. If u want check out my thread 1990 Theft Deterrent System Problems. My best advice is don't waste time with Haynes or other manuals, try to find a (used) Section 8A Electrical Diagnosis Service Manual Supplement ( for your year - 1988 ). I found mine ( 1990 ) on the internet for $20. Ecklers sells the Vats by-pass, and the 84-89 Theft Deterrent Module. Good Luck and I'll try to keep up with u and keep everyone posted on my problem. Thanks
yes, haynes is no good. i got the red GM books for this. where are you located? i can help, but try to use the steps described by jfb before. what did you do until now?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:58 AM
mike o
Heel & Toe

Default starting problems

Sorry it took so long to reply. Anyway I'm in Oceanside CA. I will look into the VATS key next as I've tried everything else already. I have removed the CCM from under the dash, the instument cluster, and most of the rest of the interior, looking for anything. (ground problem,ect.) I have put the car back together and givin-up for now. I should have some time in the next couple week-ends to dig into it again, I'll keep you posted for sure, THANKS !!!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 03:41 AM
bavareze
Intermediate

i think you should start with the key. if i would have done so, i would have saved a lot of time!
Old 04-28-2009, 05:13 PM
mike o
Heel & Toe

I will look into it as soon as I can and let you know what happens, at this point I'll try anything. THANKS
Old 04-28-2009, 09:35 PM
jtoombs
Instructor

i havnt read all the posts so sorry if this has been stated but check the security fuse. my car had similar symptoms and right before i went and bought a new battery and alternator i checked the fuses and the security fuse was blown. After i replaced the fuse, the car started right up
Old 04-29-2009, 02:25 PM
mike o
Heel & Toe

I have checked all the fuses along with many other things. If u want read my thread 1990 Theft Deterrent System Problems. I 'm new to the Forum and not real computer savy as I pound nails for a living. Anyway I received the E-mail with the link Avoid the Tow Truck and that was very, very cool, THANK YOU! I will do my best to search this Forum along with everything else on the internet before I take my car apart again. I do have the section 8 A electrical service manual for 1990 as well as a very talented friend so hopefully when we get some time soon we can solve this once and for all, and maybe help someone else along the way. THANKS AGAIN - I'll stay in touch.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:43 AM
BLIZZARD2003
Heel & Toe

Service Bulletin Number: 88-292-8A
Bulletin Sequence Number: 151
Date of Bulletin: 8807
NHTSA Item Number: SB003543
Make: CHEVROLET
Model: CORVETTE
Year: 1988
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION
Summary: INTERMITTENT NO START CONDITION CAUSED BY THE VEHICLE ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM (VATS)-T HIS CONDITION CAUSED BY DAMAGED IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER-CAUSES OPEN CIRCUIT AT PE LLET, WHICH SHUTS THE SYSTEM DOWN FOR 4 MINUTES-IF CONTACTS ARE DAMAGED, REPLACE IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER WITH NEW REPLACEMENT LOCK CYLINDER, P/N 26009609-ALL 198 6 TO 1988 CHEVROLET CORVETTE MODELS TLH
Old 04-08-2019, 06:25 PM
Arthur Spencer
1st Gear

Default 1988 c4 not turning or starting

Originally Posted by bavareze
yes, haynes is no good. i got the red GM books for this. where are you located? i can help, but try to use the steps described by jfb before. what did you do until now?
Won't turn or start. Any HELP is appreciated.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:41 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

Arthur Spencer, fill out your profile and you really should start a new thread. We need to know what year you have etc. Tell us specifically what is is or isn't doing.

Quick Reply: 1988 c4 won't start. security problem?