C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Any tips for flushing transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 07:57 PM
Vvcdde
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tips for flushing transmission fluid?

I want to replace the fluid in the tranny...Just wondering if anyone had an expereince with this and had any tips to offer....I have a ZF-6 btw.

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2002, 08:57 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Location: And on the fifth day, subpoenas were served to Obama senior staff
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Any tips for flushing transmission fluid? (Vvcdde)

There is a fill plug and a drain plug on the passenger side. Both 17mm Allen. Suggest the Snap-On socket. Both plugs are aluminum, and you can't afford to screw them up! Lots of folk buy new plugs for replacement from Chevy.

OK. First make sure you can get the fill plug out. If you can't get the fill plug out, you don't want to get the drain plug out!

Fill plug out? Pull the drain and drain the trans. Once drained put some decent anti-sieze on the threads of the drain plug and put it back in.

You want to fill that trans with GM 1052931 Transaxle fluid. Get it from GM or from Jeff Koop or any GM source you are comfortable with. You will need some sort of pump to get the fluid into the trans fill opening.

When filling, the best way is to keep the car perfectly level, such as on a lift. If you have to jack one side of the car to do this in the driveway, I believe the fill is 2.1L or 4.4 pints.

Draining when hot is best!

Good Luck,

Pete
Old 02-03-2002, 04:00 AM
BIG K
Pro

I don't know the difference between your trans and mine, but this might be worth checking out. Find a place that has a machine that "backflushes" the transmittion(I used an Oil Can Henry). This is done by them hooking it up at the radiator.This machine then pumps new fluid through the whole system. There's a "window in the back before a drain plug that the tech watches. As soon as the color turns clear(clearer), the machine is unhooked and you are on your way.
Prior to going in, I replaced the trans. fliter myself. They tried to convence me that that wasn't nessesary as the filter was just a screen(it's not) and the "backflush" would dislodge(clean) anything on the screen. And why chance a leak from replacing the trans. gasket?
Anyway, my reasoning was that I wouldn't replace half of my engine oil. So why do it to my trans? I think the cost was around $40.00 or so.
Good luck. Let us know what you decied and how it goes.
Old 02-03-2002, 09:33 AM
joecaver
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Before you back flush you should do a search in this forum for more info on the subject. There have been several threads on this that concluded that this was not the way to go as it can cause damage. As I recall the prefered method is to pull the line off that feeds into the radiator, attach a rubber hose to drain into a bucket, start the car and as fluid is pumped out add more fluid in untill the fluid runs clean coming out. This way all the fluid in the torque converter gets changed also. This is from my less than perfect memory so please do the archive search for all the details. Back flushing cost at least one or two people lots of money in repairs.
Old 02-03-2002, 02:01 PM
Vvcdde
Pro

Default Re: Any tips for flushing transmission fluid? (PeteL)

Guys...Thanks for all the info. I will be using Petes method (as that was the one I had already planned on). I will be doing this next weekend and I will let you all know how it goes.

Old 02-03-2002, 03:02 PM
BIG K
Pro

Default Re: Any tips for flushing transmission fluid? (joecaver)

Joecaver, your right about how it's done. I've slept sence then(my memery's gone too).
Thanks for the heads up on other owner's experiencing damage to their car.
Old 02-03-2002, 03:49 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you replace all the seals in your tranny after you do it.. 'coz they might leak.. when you're done... At least, that happened to me.. sucked big time, and John l Sullivan Chevrolet in Roseville wouldn't cover it after the kissed it up.

[Modified by Smash, 1:55 PM 2/3/2002]
Old 02-03-2002, 04:58 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Joecaver, BIG K,
Not really applicable with a manual 6 speed.

Pete,
Great tip on pulling the fill plug first!
Old 02-03-2002, 10:34 PM
joecaver
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Default Re: Any tips for flushing transmission fluid? (CFI-EFI)

OOPS I guess I missed that part.

Get notified of new replies

To Any tips for flushing transmission fluid?

Quick Reply: Any tips for flushing transmission fluid?