C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

X - pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 09:43 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default X - pipe

How much should an X cost at a local exhaust shop? I was thinking about putting it right in the middle of my 3" exhaust portion (where the resonator used to be). I REALLY need to get the resonance in my car tuned WAAAAYYY down . .it's REALLY bad... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: How much of a difference should an X make? Is this placing for it ok, or should it be in the back more?

Also, do you think I should change the 3" pipe section back to 2.75 .. could that be causing resonance because of the increase in air volume there?

[Modified by Glock'94, 7:45 PM 2/2/2002]
Old 02-02-2002, 09:55 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: X - pipe (Glock'94)

Hate to tell you man that it probably won't help. My resonance with headers and x-pipe increased over the stock resonator. Maybe an x-pipe would help some if you still have the cats, but I doubt it. The resonance is coming from your flowmasters pure and simple. The BlueDemon runs a cutout and it's quieter than my flowmasters as far as resonance, just be VERY careful with the positioning of the cut outs.

I'm afraid if you wanna get rid of your resonance you need something other than flowmasters. Oh, BTW. The cheapest exhaust shop in town (which happens to be the best) charged me $100 to fabricate my x-pipe and make it connect to my headers.

[Modified by Nathan Plemons, 7:56 PM 2/2/2002]
Old 02-02-2002, 09:59 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Default Re: X - pipe (Nathan Plemons)

Hate to tell you man that it probably won't help. My resonance with headers and x-pipe increased over the stock resonator. Maybe an x-pipe would help some if you still have the cats, but I doubt it. The resonance is coming from your flowmasters pure and simple. The BlueDemon runs a cutout and it's quieter than my flowmasters as far as resonance, just be VERY careful with the positioning of the cut outs.

I'm afraid if you wanna get rid of your resonance you need something other than flowmasters. Oh, BTW. The cheapest exhaust shop in town (which happens to be the best) charged me $100 to fabricate my x-pipe and make it connect to my headers.

[Modified by Nathan Plemons, 7:56 PM 2/2/2002]
Thanks Nathan. yeah, I figure it's probably the flowmasters too .. .I just don't know of any other good mufflers that are as cheap though :( Any recommendations? I'm talking like $150 or less here. Does the Delta Flow technology from the new flow masters help with resonance a whole lot?

[Modified by Glock'94, 8:01 PM 2/2/2002]
Old 02-02-2002, 10:01 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

You could just cut them off. As long as you still run cats it should be bearable, the exhaust would be freely flowing out the back rather than bouncing around inside the flows. Oh, if you do get rid of them, I know somebody who might buy your flowmasters.

[Modified by Nathan Plemons, 8:02 PM 2/2/2002]
Old 02-02-2002, 10:04 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

You could just cut them off. As long as you still run cats it should be bearable, the exhaust would be freely flowing out the back rather than bouncing around inside the flows. Oh, if you do get rid of them, I know somebody who might buy your flowmasters.

[Modified by Nathan Plemons, 8:02 PM 2/2/2002]
Yeah, but i think for inspection they check for mufflers right? I would like to try muff elims, but I think I'll get nailed for lack of mufflers.
Old 02-02-2002, 10:18 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Put some cutouts in there. Open it up for crusing, close them down for inspection. You can get electric cutouts, then it acts like the power effects system. That's what Brent wants me to do. I keep telling him it's plenty loud enough as it is, but this is from the guy who doesn't think a car sounds right unless it's open headers.

Funny, he always says mine sounds great, but he still wants me to get cutouts. I just don't want to have to hack my exhaust system AGAIN. There's virtually nothing left.
Old 02-03-2002, 01:40 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Electric cut-outs would be pretty cool. I'm sure they cost a pretty penny though. I cruised around for about 3 hours last night with FriskyZ06 and, yes, the resonance sux. I held up to it better then I thought I would .. primarily because I was driving by every ricer down there setting off their gay blue/red LED flashing alarms.

[Modified by Glock'94, 11:41 AM 2/3/2002]
Old 02-03-2002, 05:51 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget that Oklahoma doesn't have yearly car inspections anymore.
I think that unless you really **** off a cop you would be safe with elims.
Old 02-03-2002, 05:52 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Default Re: X - pipe (LT4POWR)

Don't forget that Oklahoma doesn't have yearly car inspections anymore.
I think that unless you really **** off a cop you would be safe with elims.
I'm from Texas though.. just going to school here in oklahoma :( My car is tagged in texas and we start emissions on May 1st of this year :(
Old 02-03-2002, 10:18 PM
FSTRNU
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had straight pipes from the resonator before I cut it my cats and stuck in an x-pipe and 40 series flows.....resonance is bad with the windows up and trying to hold a conversation otherwise its not too bad! I also stuck in my x where the resonator was it seems to work pretty well where it is at! But it doesnt help resonance at all! :cool:
Old 02-03-2002, 11:05 PM
A
Melting Slicks

Default Re: X - pipe (93Zeus)

Hey Glock for what it's worth, my exhaust on my '87 (or rather off of it right now :)) is identical to your setup. I even have the cross pipe in the same location but I have Dynomax mufflers and stock headers (for now til the new motor). I have no resonance and it's LOUD outside :yesnod:.
Old 02-03-2002, 11:10 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Default Re: X - pipe (A)

Hey Glock for what it's worth, my exhaust on my '87 (or rather off of it right now :)) is identical to your setup. I even have the cross pipe in the same location but I have Dynomax mufflers and stock headers (for now til the new motor). I have no resonance and it's LOUD outside :yesnod:.
How much are Dynomax mufflers?
Old 02-04-2002, 12:04 AM
CROOZN
Racer

Curtis, How about using sound deading material like Dynomax to line the cargo area as well as the trans hump? You should find sound deading material at any stereo shop around you. It does help out.
Old 02-04-2002, 01:05 AM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Default Re: X - pipe (CROOZN)

It's Dynamat .. and I already have the entire rear compartment covered with one layer of it :(
Old 02-04-2002, 01:27 AM
90pololt4
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to try a Dr. Gas Cross-Over. I have long tuble headers w/3" collectors into a 3"X2 1/2" cross over and back to Dyno Max muffelers. No reverb at all. It is fairly quit but I can hear it when I'm on the pedal. Video taped the car with my wife driving at the NASA event in Las Vegas last weekend, and it sounds great. The Dr. Gas cross over is different from the rest and for a reason. It stops the back pressure that other cross overs allow to build up. Talk to others and you'll hear what it sounds like.

Get notified of new replies

To X - pipe

Quick Reply: X - pipe