C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Best heads for L98

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 03:16 PM
rustybluebeast
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best heads for L98

I'm looking to research new heads for my bone stock L98 TPI. Which do you all prefer? will lt1 heads work? Also what should I look for in a head? Kind of new to this and I want to learn.
Thanks
Rusty
Old 05-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rustybluebeast
I'm looking to research new heads for my bone stock L98 TPI. Which do you all prefer? will lt1 heads work? Also what should I look for in a head? Kind of new to this and I want to learn.
Thanks
Rusty
Asking what head is best is like asking what car is beast. Many, many out there, and it depends on your goals for the project.
What is your plan?
Street?
Strip?
All out race car?
Fun daily driver?
Do you wish to have the biggest and best?
Or just something to run around town?
Daily driver?
Or weekend only car?
Emmissions testing in your area?
what trans?

Take it from a guy who pissed alot of money up a rope. Make a plan first, then select parts.
PK
Old 05-02-2009, 03:37 PM
rustybluebeast
Intermediate

I'm looking for a streetable ap. Not a daily driver, but not a track *****. Something that will give me a gain of maybe 30-40 horse. I hear the vortech heads are pretty good, but I want to check out other options. I would like to go forced induction some time in the future, so that might be a factor. Plan on putting a hotter cam in it, and also some tpi runners that breath more along with a larger throttle body. The exhaust is already opened up with headers and test pipe.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:39 PM
rustybluebeast
Intermediate

Also auto tranny and no emissions testing
Old 05-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm looking for a streetable ap. Not a daily driver, but not a track *****. Something that will give me a gain of maybe 30-40 horse. I hear the vortech heads are pretty good, but I want to check out other options. I would like to go forced induction some time in the future, so that might be a factor. Plan on putting a hotter cam in it, and also some tpi runners that breath more along with a larger throttle body. The exhaust is already opened up with headers and test pipe.
Back in the mid 90's I ran a set of ported stock 113 (88-91) castings, a zz3 cam and slp runners, along with some exhaust mods. Car ran 12.70@110 mph and was a ton of fun to drive. Great gas milage, and almost acted stock. By todays standards, those numbers suck, but it was a fun, reliable, srong bottom end combo. Also, real inexpensive to build.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:54 PM
rustybluebeast
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply. That does sound like a economical settup which is nice. 12.7 isnt too bad... What would be your recomendation on an intake manifold? I know midamerica sells one they call "high flow" for the tpi's...
Old 05-02-2009, 05:02 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Put you money in the heads, cam, and LT headers first. Those intakes aren't worth the money IMO.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:16 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

AFR advertises thicker decks for FI applications. And, they flow very well for their port size -- maybe the best bang for the buck out of a new head.

AFR 195s -- even with a stock cam -- should gain more than 30-40 horse. Put a cam, short-runner intake and FI on it and you'd have a rocket. FI+TPI would = tire shedder only.

Get notified of new replies

To Best heads for L98

Quick Reply: Best heads for L98