C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

6 speed swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 09:53 PM
loflite
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Default 6 speed swap

All right I think I already know the answer but I'll ask anyway. I really really wish my '95 LT-1 was a 6 speed. It is everything I want as far as options and colors but I can't stand the auto. How much trouble and $$$ are we talking if it is even possible. I know the C-3's are easy to change but the C-4's? Thanks for any info.
Old 02-03-2002, 11:54 PM
91Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Re: 6 speed swap (loflite)

I, like many other auto owners, have pondered the same question. There is a guy here -=Jeff=- that has performed the same conversion. The general consensus here is that you'd be better off selling yours and buying a six speed equiped car.

Try the search feature on the forum. You're bound to find a few discussions about this.
Old 02-03-2002, 11:59 PM
crznL98
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm in the middle of it right now. Cutting the car is the hardest part of the conversion. Basically, you have to cut 3 holes in the firewall for the clutch master cylinder, and cut out roughly a square foot out of the transmission tunnel. I did the firewall with a hand drill and the trans tunnel with a rotozip.

Aside from that, you will have to deal with junkyards. I got everything from the Vette Shoppe in Colorado. I got absolute junk. The ZF had to be rebuilt, and it turns out the Dana 44 is crap too. I'm trying to work with Vince at the Vette Shoppe to deal with this, but so far, he does not seem like a good person to do business with. Are you listening Vince?

In any case, the conversion is not so bad, once you get cutting. It's a little intimidating at first, though. Let me know if you have any questions.

Keith
Old 02-04-2002, 12:00 AM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked into this breifly. I found it would cost about $3000 in parts, if you can round up all the parts you need. The hardest labor part I was told is putting in the clutch pedal and changing the brake pedal. You will need to cut a hole in the hump for the shifter to poke through. I think you might be better off just trading in your car for a C5 six speed. Or consider what I'm in the process of doing now. I'm dumping the 700r4 and putting in a Turbo400 3 speed manual valve body tranny with a Gear Vendors overdrive. Then I'll have six gears to pick from and no clutch. Of coarse this is even more expensive than a 6m tranny. Oh well. I figured I would give this a try since I don't think a 700r4 can be built strong enough for me. And I didn't want to deal with putting in a zf6.

Get notified of new replies

To 6 speed swap

Quick Reply: 6 speed swap