C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 Belt Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:27 PM
tgtexas02
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 184 Posts

Default 84 Belt Tensioner

My tensioner has become very weak and just does not apply enough downward pressure on belt when A/C is running. Terrible squealling and belt bumping. I can tell it is the tensioner and not a stretched belt. Here is my exact question: the tensioner is held on by one bolt--can it be taken off the bracket (while on car) once the arm has been relieved of pressure or will the inner spring assbly try to fly out of the thing and do bodily harm? Suspect the threaded stud is a bear to get out of bracket too?
Old 05-21-2009, 03:25 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by tgtexas02
My tensioner has become very weak and just does not apply enough downward pressure on belt when A/C is running. Terrible squealling and belt bumping. I can tell it is the tensioner and not a stretched belt. Here is my exact question: the tensioner is held on by one bolt--can it be taken off the bracket (while on car) once the arm has been relieved of pressure or will the inner spring assbly try to fly out of the thing and do bodily harm? Suspect the threaded stud is a bear to get out of bracket too?
If its like mine, 96', use a breaker bar to depress the tensioner, slip the belt off, take off the tensioner off. Replace with new tensioner, use the breaker bar and put a new belt on. Viola, your done.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:04 PM
tgtexas02
Drifting

To Runner and all future readers! The first thing you need to do is put the "NEW" belt on instead of putting the "OLD" belt back on!!!!!!!!!!! After I dug my new belt out of the trash can, put it on the car, everything magicly worked fine.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:16 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here is a 1984 bracket and tensioner assemble. see the alignment notch, just loosen that bolt and istall new tensioner into that slot and bolt it down. when belt is of and you loosen the bolt it WILL NOT fly away.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:07 PM
tgtexas02
Drifting

Thanks. That is exactly what I wanted to know but thankfully I don't have to replace it now. I will know for the future now. Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:46 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by tgtexas02
To Runner and all future readers! The first thing you need to do is put the "NEW" belt on instead of putting the "OLD" belt back on!!!!!!!!!!! After I dug my new belt out of the trash can, put it on the car, everything magicly worked fine.
You've got a good sense of humor.

Get notified of new replies

To 84 Belt Tensioner

Quick Reply: 84 Belt Tensioner