C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Idle Air Throttle Valve (Solenoid)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 04:42 PM
LBYRNES
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Idle Air Throttle Valve (Solenoid)

On the left is the new part I got from my Chevy dealer (Part #17112193). On the right is the old IAT that I removed from my '93 LT-1 VIN-P.

They are not the same length. It that because it's the wrong part, or is the old one in the extended mode, while the new one is still in retraction after manufacturing?

Thanks,

Larry...
Attached Images  

Last edited by LBYRNES; 07-26-2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Opps. Forgot photo.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:10 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Looks to me like the electrical connectors are different?
Old 07-26-2009, 05:16 PM
C4-90-41001
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

The connector shells looks different.

Is this an optical illusion because the two parts are not oriented the same way in your photo or does one have a square connector shell whereas the other one has a rectangular connector shell?
Old 07-26-2009, 05:35 PM
basselope
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If the connectors are different. Return it - take the old one with you.

the body and pintle appear to be correct: the one one the left is retracted, as indicated by the compressed spring. The other is extended.

Also, you may want to spray some carb cleaner into the IAC port before installing the new one. This helps remove some of the crud that tends to build up there. It's not a bad idea to remove the solenoid, spray down that port and clean off the pintle every year or so just to help keep your idle smooth.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:59 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

for what it's worth the idle air control valve is not a solenoid (that's what I first thought it was); it's actually a small electric motor referred to as a "step" motor which is a shorter word than its proper name "syncronous" and easier to spell too. Basically the computer tells the motor how far to extend or retract the pintle and the motor maintains the pintle position.

I recently replaced an idle air control valve on a 96 and the only two caveats are: (one) throughly clean the recess where the pintle fits into and the air passages leading to and from the idle air control valve; and, (two) make sure the pintle is retracted/extended the recommended distance from the idle air control body / mounting flange.

good luck; if your old one was bad, a new one will certainly help clear up any driveability issues.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:03 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LBYRNES
They are not the same length. It that because it's the wrong part, or is the old one in the extended mode, while the new one is still in retraction after manufacturing?..
Different parts.
Yours is the old style used on L98's and early LT1.
New one is later LT1 style
Old 07-26-2009, 10:34 PM
grinditout
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They are shipped compacted, when you install it and start the engine it will expand.

Get notified of new replies

To Idle Air Throttle Valve (Solenoid)

Quick Reply: Idle Air Throttle Valve (Solenoid)