C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

IAC Ajustment PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:15 AM
arrested609
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IAC Ajustment PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!

I have a 1988 Corvette with the L98 engine. What is the ajustment specs on the IAC. How can you tell if it's working right. After running my car for a while and getting it hot, I went to a parts store. I left the parking lot and was approaching a stop light, when it idled down it was fixing to die so i had to keep my foot on the gas. After leaving the light i started getting on it , it seemed like it would surge sometimes. Everytime i would slow down and let my foot off the pedal it would want to die. If i let it sit for a few hours and restart it, it will run fine. This is driving me crazy. Could this be that i have a bad IAC or it needs to be ajusted. Its brand new from O'reilly's , it's been on the engine for a few months. Your help would be appreciated. Craig.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:41 AM
K87ZZ4
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't believe IAC motors or valves can be adjusted. But, they can stick, which can cause the kind of problems you are mentioning (dying at idle or failing to start without applying some throttle to allow air into the intake).

It's tough to tell if it's working right. It doesn't throw a code if it's stuck. If the IAC valve is stuck closed, there's no way for enough air to get into the engine at idle and it dies.

It could be a bad IAC, but the first thing to consider is if the throttle body was cleaned when the IAC was replaced? I found a lot of carbon built up in the throttle body where the IAC seats and cleaned it out thoroughly when I replaced my IAC.

And yes, this kind of intermittent problem drives you crazy! It drove me nuts for months and months (one wonders if I ever fully recovered ;-)
Old 08-16-2009, 02:52 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

A simple check for operation is to remove the valve, connect it to the harness and turn on the ignition switch. (no start the motor) The pintel should unscrew itself and pop off the valve body. For this reason, place the valve in a plastic bag so you don't have to hunt for the flying parts....
Old 08-16-2009, 06:10 AM
vette079
Pro

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
For this reason, place the valve in a plastic bag so you don't have to hunt for the flying parts....
Speaking of experience...?
Old 08-16-2009, 06:40 AM
floridamale
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The distance from the tip of the pintle to the mounting surface of the IAC should not be greater then 28mm or 1 & 1/8 inch. The IAC adjustment automatically occurs after it’s on the motor, and is re-set after the motor has been started and shut off. I believe some scanning software will allow you to reset the IAC counts through the ECM. Take it apart and clean it measure it and see if that helps.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

The IAC will not cause it to surge. When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?
Old 08-16-2009, 02:09 PM
basselope
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

keep in mind that this is the "Idle" air control. If the surge you described after "getting on it" continues while you have your foot on the gas (i.e. off idle) then the IAC would be eliminated from that particular issue. The other symptoms you describe could well be the IAC.

Good Luck!
Old 08-18-2009, 12:27 PM
arrested609
Heel & Toe

Default Thanks everyone for your help

I pulled the IAC out today and found that there was a piece of thread sealer that was on the thread of the IAC that was on the Pintle end. I cleaned it off, and it idles like a champ. Thanks again.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:48 AM
K87ZZ4
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

We'll keep our fingers crossed that it doesn't come back!

Old 08-19-2009, 03:13 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by arrested609
I pulled the IAC out today and found that there was a piece of thread sealer that was on the thread of the IAC that was on the Pintle end. I cleaned it off, and it idles like a champ. .
Did you reset it after install ?

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...and+Idle+Speed
Old 01-09-2012, 09:35 PM
White81
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1988 35th that has a similar problem. Mine will run and idle fine but sometimes when I start it, it want idle unless I keep my foot on the gas. Just tonight, it would not idle and died 4 times. The last time I turned the key off/on, restarted the car and it idled fine. Is it correct that once the car is turned off, the IAC will readjust? If that is the case does it not readjust once it dies and you restart it or only when it has been turned off? I will take it apart and clean along with replacing the fuel filter. Does anyone have pictures of this precess?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Stalling at idle is a prime symptom of needing to do a minimum idle adjustment, which consists of adjusting the throttle plates and TPS sensor. Instructions are here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=55&TopicID=2

Get notified of new replies

To IAC Ajustment PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!

Quick Reply: IAC Ajustment PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!