C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Best brand 52mm throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:57 AM
wolverine1967
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best brand 52mm throttle body

With all he brands out there for 52mm throttle bodies, has anyone been able to determine which is best or in the top 3? There are companies such as BBK, TPIS, Summit, Edelbrok, etc... are they any better than stock?
I'm looking to switch out my manifold with the Edelbrok 7107(#?) and put an aftermarket TB on it.
Anyone have a bad experience or good with any aftermarket TB's?
Looking for input, thanks
Old 08-23-2009, 11:37 AM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had good luck with a stock TB bored to 52mm
Old 08-23-2009, 03:01 PM
jimg's'93
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't see what would make any one better than another except paying for a name or if you're looking for nitrous passages.

I'd consider Professional Products. The have a 52mm polished or satin for ~$220.00 shipped. That's at least $100 less than the big names.

Now let's see who'll jump in with why one might be better than another?

Old 08-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Kool88vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been running a 52mm BBK without any problems for about 4 years. I can't remember how much it was.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:00 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jimg's'93
I can't see what would make any one better than another except paying for a name or if you're looking for nitrous passages.

I'd consider Professional Products. The have a 52mm polished or satin for ~$220.00 shipped. That's at least $100 less than the big names.

Now let's see who'll jump in with why one might be better than another?

I'll jump in and say (do a google search on "professional products throttle body" that should answer your question....

Sometimes even free is too much $$. Be wary of products that seem very inexpensive or go ahead and buy one of the ebay sub 100 dollar optis

Remember you if you don't have the time or money to do it right...you'll probably end up finding the time and money to do it over.

For a 52 I'd probably settle for ported stocker. I've had great luck with my BBK 58, once it becomes a restriction I'll spring for a AS & M monoblade

MIke
Old 08-23-2009, 11:35 PM
jimg's'93
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aboatguy
I'll jump in and say (do a google search on "professional products throttle body" that should answer your question....
I did and yes, there was one complaint about a pp tb possibly sticking at WOT. Not a Vette tb, but on a Mustang. I also did some additional looking and found complaints about other manufacturers...including BBK. No manufacturer is 100%, even the big names.

Originally Posted by aboatguy
Sometimes even free is too much $$. Be wary of products that seem very inexpensive or go ahead and buy one of the ebay sub 100 dollar optis

Remember you if you don't have the time or money to do it right...you'll probably end up finding the time and money to do it over.

For a 52 I'd probably settle for ported stocker. I've had great luck with my BBK 58, once it becomes a restriction I'll spring for a AS & M monoblade

MIke
I definately do not choose price over quality, but in this case, I did google pp and have done my homework. What I found was a positive response to their products when bought from a reputable dealer. Buying pp products on fleabay is discouraged as it seems a lot of pp's seconds make their way out and are sold there.

So, as a buyer that does his homework, it would seem silly to spend over $100 for a product that performs the same. Just my opinion!

Jim
Old 08-24-2009, 08:23 AM
ross.rosseland
Instructor

The 52 BBK I got has sealed bearings instead of bushings and is overall a much nicer piece than the stocker. It gives a much more stable idle as it's not leaking and the throttle rotates a bit more smoothly.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:47 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthLT4
I've had good luck with a stock TB bored to 52mm

Best 52mm available.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:48 AM
wolverine1967
Pro

Originally Posted by rickreeves1

Best 52mm available.
did you have to get the stock manifold bored too?
Old 08-24-2009, 11:49 AM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wolverine1967
did you have to get the stock manifold bored too?
Nope, stock manifold is already bored to 52mm. At least on the LT4, I think it's the same for LT1.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:55 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthLT4
Nope, stock manifold is already bored to 52mm. it's the same for LT1.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:06 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I went with BBK . Excellent product..

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's Top College per Forbes Magazine!
Old 08-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JAKE
I went with BBK . Excellent product..

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's Top College per Forbes Magazine!
Same here
Old 08-24-2009, 05:11 PM
wolverine1967
Pro

BBK sounds like a popular model here.
Where did you purchase it? and did you notice any difference in performance?
Old 08-24-2009, 05:13 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

There is absolutly NOTHING (physically) wrong with the Professional Products TB.

What is wrong is the fact that they were made in CHINA (and copied as is everything PP mfgrs) but that is a different discussion.

I have used 2 of their LT1/4 throttle bodies. They fit perfectly and worked perfectly. Infact the throttle cam is the best one of the aftermarket TB's I've seen and used (and I've used them all BBK, Holley, AS&M, Accel). The build quality is better than some those aftermarket TB's I already named.

I looked to see if there was a way to put the PP throttle cam (off my old PP 58mm) on to my new AS&M Mono Blade after having to bend the cable anchor point on my intake manifold so it would fit the AS&M throttle cam. No idea why the stock TB and a Chineese TB fit perfectly - but a billet, top of the line, USA mfgr'd TB requires me to bend the cable anchor tab all to hell.

It is also true that Professional Products undercuts their own product quality reputation by selling the second quality ones without marking them as such.... Actually by the fact that they bother to sell them at all vice destroy them. $$$ is king I guess.

If you want a Profession Priodcuts TB just buy it from a reputable dealer and you won't have any problems with it.
Will
Old 08-24-2009, 07:19 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
There is absolutly NOTHING (physically) wrong with the Professional Products TB.

What is wrong is the fact that they were made in CHINA (and copied as is everything PP mfgrs) but that is a different discussion.

I have used 2 of their LT1/4 throttle bodies. They fit perfectly and worked perfectly. Infact the throttle cam is the best one of the aftermarket TB's I've seen and used (and I've used them all BBK, Holley, AS&M, Accel). The build quality is better than some those aftermarket TB's I already named.

I looked to see if there was a way to put the PP throttle cam (off my old PP 58mm) on to my new AS&M Mono Blade after having to bend the cable anchor point on my intake manifold so it would fit the AS&M throttle cam. No idea why the stock TB and a Chineese TB fit perfectly - but a billet, top of the line, USA mfgr'd TB requires me to bend the cable anchor tab all to hell.

It is also true that Professional Products undercuts their own product quality reputation by selling the second quality ones without marking them as such.... Actually by the fact that they bother to sell them at all vice destroy them. $$$ is king I guess.

If you want a Profession Priodcuts TB just buy it from a reputable dealer and you won't have any problems with it.
Will
Here's one answer to your question in your own words : ".....
What is wrong is the fact that they were made in CHINA (and copied as is everything PP mfgrs) but that is a different discussion....."
My BBK fit with zero issues and has been working for years now. However, there are numerous BBKs 58mm TBs with different throttle linkages so you actually have to get the right one not one that looks close enough. Not saying that was your issue ... I actually had a wrong one in my hands and thought it was close enough until I tried to install it.

MIke

Last edited by aboatguy; 08-24-2009 at 07:22 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Best brand 52mm throttle body

Quick Reply: Best brand 52mm throttle body