C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1994 LT1 Datalogging/Reflashing

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 07:40 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 162 Posts

Default 1994 LT1 Datalogging/Reflashing

Hello All,

I want to be able to datalog my LT1 and down the road do some tuning. I'm not new to either of these concepts. I've datalogged other GM OBD I cars in the past and made changes to the bin and burned successfully - but this was all done on 1993 and older OBD I - logging through the ALDL port but need to remove the memcal and use a burner to reprogram (no reflash through the ALDL).

Moates.net has some cool stuff that claims to work to datalog and reflash the 1994 LT1 - this is exactly what I am looking for. Just wanted to know if anyone has this stuff and if it works reliable, as claimed, etc etc.

I usually use TunerPro RT - it is a really user friendly interface pretty much the only one I know how to use. Hopefully, there are definition files for the LT1.

This is the specific item I am looking at: ALDU1 and CABL1 XtremeALDL and NewCABL1 Combo

the description right off the Moates site: "This is for any pre-1995 (OBD1) GM vehicle. Everything except the 1995 LT1. You should be able to datalog all of them, and reflash the 94 LT1 as well. Comes with XtremeALDL and NewCABL1 (RJ45/Moates-specific new style). There's a switch on the side which allows you to select 10k (across pins A&B of ALDL) or 'Open' mode. You use the 10k mode for older TBI and TPI setups, and the 'Open' for newer Speed density and LT1 stuff. This item can be used with TunerPro RT, TTS Datamaster, TunerCat reflash for LT1, WinALDL, and EFI Live V4(OBD1)."

here is the link:
http://www.moates.net/product_info.p...roducts_id=127

Thanks,
John

Last edited by jmgtp; 09-06-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:45 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Just a few other options. I've had great success using Tunercat for tuning, Datamaster for data logging, and an AKM cable for the hook-up.

http://tunercat.com/

http://www.ttspowersystems.com/DataMaster.html

http://akmcables.com/
Old 09-06-2009, 09:49 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jmgtp
That says for all pre-95 OBDI cars. The 94 and 95's use the same OBDII ALDL connector on their OBDI systems. So, if it won't connect on a 95 Y-body, the same applies for the 94.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:07 AM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.moates.net/product_info.p...roducts_id=128

Just a different connector on the cable...

I highly recommend tunercat. Far and away the best bang/buck.

And probably 95% of the people on LT1 tuning forums are using it, so that's the one you will get help with easiest.

Last edited by VenkmanP; 09-07-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:52 PM
AVL94LT1383
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tunercat seems to be a good program if you already know what you are doing... but i could not get datamaster to work with my vista pc.... the free download to make sure it worked just falted out each time... so i was not going to spend the $$$ and not know what i was getting.. Purchased a handheld unit from a local auto supply autoxray 7000 model works great and can log into the actual unit or to pc comes with all the cables including one to use with tunercat... it has been my experience that the support for downloaded software is not as supported as say the LS series so you have to really look hard for what all the tables do... (the tunercat software i purchased 2 months ago has no instructions and when you go to the help file it just locks up the program) I also had to let the local dyno shop use my tunercat software on my laptop since moats never called them with the support they needed. I had to drive two hrs round trip to get my pc so the whole day on the dyno was useful. Just don't assume that since anyone has tuned a lt1 they can get it done on a 94 or 95 LT1 Corvette;; they are different as this forum will caution.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:15 PM
simple green
Racer

I'm using the same combo as STL94LT1, it works.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Mikes1991
Racer

Just came across this. I have a 1993 just picked up. I notice the tuner kits are only for 1994/95. Are there any tuner kits available for my car. I want to get the fans to turn on earlier. Will a hypertech chip do that for me. Id like to be able to tune from a laptop. I also have a scanner that does live data but it did not work with my 1991. Im wondering if it will work on my 1993. Lot to learn here any help will be greatly appreciated

Mike
Long Island
Old 08-09-2010, 08:46 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikes1991
Just came across this. I have a 1993 just picked up. I notice the tuner kits are only for 1994/95. Are there any tuner kits available for my car. I want to get the fans to turn on earlier. Will a hypertech chip do that for me. Id like to be able to tune from a laptop. I also have a scanner that does live data but it did not work with my 1991. Im wondering if it will work on my 1993. Lot to learn here any help will be greatly appreciated

Mike
Long Island
Mike,

You should be able to log data using a program like TunerPro RT and the correct definition. You'll need an OBD I cable with the correct connector for the OBD I plug under the dash. To reflash the computer you cannot do so through the OBD port like the 94+ cars. You will need to remove the memcal from the ecm and use a chip burner. I did this on a 91 GM car. I replaced the 'chip' inside the memcal with one that is re-writeable and then reflash the chip using a chip burner. For the application on my 91 GM car I use a Burner II from Moates.net. Check the site out, lots of info and all the hardware you need to get going.

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 LT1 Datalogging/Reflashing

Quick Reply: 1994 LT1 Datalogging/Reflashing