C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

making a grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:46 PM
skylift
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default making a grinding noise

I think my air pump is bad, can the bearing be replaced or do I have to replace the pump?
If the bearings can be replaced, where can I get them?
Old 09-06-2009, 10:24 PM
tblt44
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

eliminate the air pump

http://www.supernatural-performance....hp?cPath=46_50
Old 09-07-2009, 10:46 AM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I tried this one before and that bearing isn't readily known anywhere. You'll have to tear open the old pump and try to get a number off the body of it.

The new smog pump is only ~$50......a new bearing will be ~$10 and then you have to do the rebuild.

One thing, the back of the replacement air pump is not really painted. Before you put it in, tape it off and hit it with a krylon black or something similar. Mine rusted pretty quick and looks awful.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:35 PM
skylift
Advanced

Originally Posted by tblt44
Thank you
Old 09-07-2009, 01:36 PM
skylift
Advanced

Originally Posted by jhammons01
I tried this one before and that bearing isn't readily known anywhere. You'll have to tear open the old pump and try to get a number off the body of it.

The new smog pump is only ~$50......a new bearing will be ~$10 and then you have to do the rebuild.

One thing, the back of the replacement air pump is not really painted. Before you put it in, tape it off and hit it with a krylon black or something similar. Mine rusted pretty quick and looks awful.
Ok, how do I get the old pump off, I tried loosening the alternator and I am not sure how to get the tension off of the Belt
Old 09-07-2009, 02:13 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

LOL....that belt tensioner is an enigma at first.

First off, find the pulley that is in between your alt and smog pump. Take a 3/4" breaker bar (without a socket) Stick the square part (that usually goes into the back of the socket).....stick the square part into the square hole on the body of that pulley. Now, depending on which side of the car you are standing on, you push/pull on that breaker bar which moves that pulley body and loosens the belt....

....while holding the breaker bar, reach down and move the belt to one side and then you can let the breaker bar loose.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:16 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

From there, I can't say which step comes next as I don't remember.....so...since I don't remember....it must have been un-eventful AKA straight forward.

Just buy the new one.....take off the new one and reverse the process to install. Couldn't be simpler

Once you have that tensioner loose.....I do know that it is really easy to replace the bearing inside of that unit.....the two are so close together, you could be hearing the wrong one..
Old 09-07-2009, 03:13 PM
skylift
Advanced

Originally Posted by jhammons01
From there, I can't say which step comes next as I don't remember.....so...since I don't remember....it must have been un-eventful AKA straight forward.

Just buy the new one.....take off the new one and reverse the process to install. Couldn't be simpler

Once you have that tensioner loose.....I do know that it is really easy to replace the bearing inside of that unit.....the two are so close together, you could be hearing the wrong one..
I read an article that stated you can remove the vien from the pumpand the noise stops and you can increase the HP by 20 in doing so?
Old 09-07-2009, 03:15 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

you have a couple of bolts on the alt, and maybe 2 braces. pretty simple, I have one for sale if intrested, or knock the guys out of yours, and have an eliminator effect.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:41 PM
skylift
Advanced

Originally Posted by pologreen1
you have a couple of bolts on the alt, and maybe 2 braces. pretty simple, I have one for sale if intrested, or knock the guys out of yours, and have an eliminator effect.
How much?
Old 09-08-2009, 06:31 AM
skylift
Advanced

Originally Posted by pologreen1
How much
Old 09-19-2009, 06:09 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That smog pump was around $40 at Autozone a few months back when I was checking, now it is at $59. And it looks like the price must have jumped as well at Advance Auto Parts as it is at $86.

Good thing I picked up a low mileage OEM unit off the board.

Get notified of new replies

To making a grinding noise

Quick Reply: making a grinding noise