C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

89 Corvette needs a new engine, options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:54 AM
redfivexw
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 Corvette needs a new engine, options?

I recently got an 89 corvette in a trade. The engine is junk (100k miles but has a bent rod). Also the previous owner tried to "fix it" himself so i really dont know what else is wrong with it. I really do not want to invest a ton of money to get it running, it is not my main project car. I am planning on giving this to my wife. What are my options for cheap junkyard engine swaps? I was considering just buying a truck engine from a junkyard from 87-95 and putting my TPI on it. I know that is awful but there are ton of those engines at my local junkyards with low mileage for cheap money. I have heard about people putting 5.3 motors in there because they are cheap, what does anyone think about that? Also, if i put in an lt1, do i need to swap out the computer/tranny or anything else? How about a carbed engine swap? any and all advice appreciated, but i am not looking for expensive swaps or looking for tons of power, my wife will never go over 70 mph in it.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:16 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can do all the things you mentioned but your best bet is to find a good used 350 or rebuild your motor.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:42 PM
redfivexw
2nd Gear

I have been looking for a used 350, but there are no TPI motors locally at all. There are a ton of TBI 350's, at least 100 of them within 100 miles from me, some with as low as 90k miles.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:34 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Fill out your profile or tell us where you live so we can help. You can also put an add in the parts forum.
A block's generally just a block. You can put the TPI on pretty much any one.
You could probably get a better deal on a short or longblock from your local machinist. 350 engines are a dimeadozen.

Last edited by ch@0s; 09-26-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Blastoff
Advanced

Hey Red,

Your story is somewhat similar to mine. I got my 86 pretty cheap, 93,000mi. blown head gasket. I was thinking of a used engine after i spun some bearings. My suggestion would be to browse around flea bay. You will find thousands of engine shops selling long and short blocks for some VERY reasonable prices. It is true, "You get what you pay for" I would not buy one from a private seller, Simply because it's a gamble, but, there are alot of shops that have warrantees. Maybe it's because the economy, but four years ago i purchased a six cylinder short block for about $2000. The day before yesterday i purchased an eight cylinder, 350, four bolt main, with camshaft, timing gears, and chain, gasket set, oil pump, AND shipping, for just over one thousand dollars. They offer the standard 12 month, 12,000 mi. warrantee for free. For an additional $250, they offer 5 yr. 100,000 mi. war. I'm sorry if this sounds like an advertisment, and after seeing some of the awesome rebuilds on this forum, it's a little embarassing talking about my poorboy rebuild, but the plan is to have an engine with zero miles,start fresh. Ebays always a gamble, but if you take a few days, research what people are offering, and their reputation, you might be supprised at what you come up with. Good luck.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To 89 Corvette needs a new engine, options?

Quick Reply: 89 Corvette needs a new engine, options?