C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Changing antifreeze

Old 09-28-2009, 09:44 AM
HVAC111
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing antifreeze

Any tricks to draining the old antifreeze and refilling on a 1991 l-98 i take it i us the green antifreeze
Old 09-28-2009, 09:52 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Flush, rinse and drain using by removing your knock sensors out. I believe the L98 has one KS, do the best you can.

Use distilled or ozonated water, do not use tap water.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:22 PM
HVAC111
Instructor

Is soft water , from a water softner ok ?
Old 09-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Tulsa Vette Guy
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default coolant flush

Is there only one KS on the L98 ??, Where is it located ??, do I need to jack the car up to get to It ??, Will this drain the block ?? and how do you get all the air pockets out when refilling with new coolant ??
Old 09-28-2009, 01:57 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by HVAC111
Is soft water , from a water softner ok ?
Most all grocery stores have bottled 1 gallon jugs of distilled water. Usually about a buck each.

GM went to Dex-Cool in the 95 model year, so anything prior to that uses the green ethylene glycol coolant.

In the long run, it's cheaper to use a concentrated coolant and water to mix in a 50-50 ratio. A gallon of pre-mixed coolant costs about the same as a gallon of concentrate. So mixing your own gives you nearly twice the amount of coolant for the same price as a jug or pre-mix. The 50-50 mix will protect to -37 degrees F.

As shown in the pic the knock sensor is located at the bottom of the block (the pic looks like an LT1 block but the location will be the same). So you do have to get under the car to access the KS.

To drain, loosen the radiator petcock and remove the pressure cap. You should get a good 1.5 gallons out from there. Removing the KS will drain the block and that's at least another 1/2 gallon or more. If the system has not been flushed in some time, put a garden hose in the filler neck, close the radiator petcock and let water flow thru the system and out the KS hole. When the water comes out clear, replace the KS (don't forget to add some anti-seize to the threads), open the radiator petcock and drain the radiator.

Close everything up and you're ready to add fresh coolant. I like to pre-mix the concentrate and distilled water first so I have a supply of it. If you make 4 gallons (2 gal concentrate and 2 gal distilled water) you will have more than you need to fill the system and have extra if it's ever needed. At this point, raise the front of the car as high as you can with a floor jack and jack stands or at least until the filler neck is higher than the engine.

Fill the system until the coolant comes up to the base of the filler neck. Start the engine and let it idle. When the thermostat opens, the coolant level will drop quickly so be ready to add more coolant. Keep an eye on the coolant temp and fill until the coolant is at the base of the filler neck. It helps to run the engine at 1200-1500 RPM to insure that coolant is being pushed thru the engine and pulling out any air pockets. If the coolant temp hits 230 or so, shut the engine off and let it cool down, then start again. When the level stays full, replace the pressure cap.

It's probably a good idea to replace the upper and lower radiator hoses if they are more than 6-8 years old. A new pressure cap doesn't cost that much so get a new one. Remove the overflow tank and clean it. Reinstall and fill with the coolant mix to the Cold line.

Let the engine cool down (under 150 degrees) and check the coolant level. Add coolant as necessary to bring it up to the top of the filler neck and replace the cap.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:17 PM
HVAC111
Instructor

Thanks for taking the time to give me such detailed information ! This is just one more reason i like this forum.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Tulsa Vette Guy
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many thanks for your reply C4Cruiser
Old 09-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Any tricks to draining the old antifreeze and refilling on a 1991 l-98 i take it i us the green antifreeze
Read the thread below. Very interesting
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...n-dexcool.html

Jim
Old 09-28-2009, 05:30 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tulsa Vet Guy
Is there only one KS on the L98 ??, Where is it located ??, do I need to jack the car up to get to It ??, Will this drain the block ?? and how do you get all the air pockets out when refilling with new coolant ??
Yes there is only one knock sensor on an L98. It is located on the right or pass. side of the engine block. On the exact opposite (drivers side)you will find an engine block drain plug. Remove both of these to completely drain the coolant from your engine.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:58 AM
josephf31
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I don't

see where anyone mentioned the trick about drilling one or two small (1/8") holes in the thermostat...

Get notified of new replies

To Changing antifreeze

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing antifreeze