C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I figured out why so many use the LT4 hotcam

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 12:39 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Default I figured out why so many use the LT4 hotcam

Everything else gets very complicated and expensive in a hurry. Does anyone run this thing with a stock converter and 3.07 gears??? I have surendered in the find the reasonably priced performance cam..LOL Does it work fine with the OEM distributor gear on a L98?

Has anyone runthe 071 ZZ3 cam with the LT$ Hot cam springs and retainers? it is shorter duration and less lift so I can not imagine whay they would not work..

If I go with the Comp Cams XFI part I was looking at I need springs retainers machine heads for more lift.. and add 250 to 300 to the tab even if I do it myself.. That is enough cash to buy rockers and timing chain set. I already have the hot cam springs and retainers brand new on the heads I have...

I am realy not fired up for headers right now and would settle for some good used LT1 exhaust manifolds if they would fit the rest of the L98 exhaust. I have a 2.5 diamiter Y pipe with no cats right now.. If that is any help or clue. The Borla exhaust I have with the magnaflow cat is about all the racket I can stand. I am thinking headers will just add more. If the car does notmake enough power I can add a good set of headers next year.

Intake will be the last thing to figure out and not sure where to go with that..
Old 11-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 375 Likes on 311 Posts

I picked up a HOT cam for my '88. Those XFI cams are nice but one would have cost me $200 more. Lots of choices on intakes!
Old 11-15-2009, 06:03 PM
joe3906
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Everything else gets very complicated and expensive in a hurry. Does anyone run this thing with a stock converter and 3.07 gears??? I have surendered in the find the reasonably priced performance cam..LOL Does it work fine with the OEM distributor gear on a L98?

Has anyone runthe 071 ZZ3 cam with the LT$ Hot cam springs and retainers? it is shorter duration and less lift so I can not imagine whay they would not work..

If I go with the Comp Cams XFI part I was looking at I need springs retainers machine heads for more lift.. and add 250 to 300 to the tab even if I do it myself.. That is enough cash to buy rockers and timing chain set. I already have the hot cam springs and retainers brand new on the heads I have...

I am realy not fired up for headers right now and would settle for some good used LT1 exhaust manifolds if they would fit the rest of the L98 exhaust. I have a 2.5 diamiter Y pipe with no cats right now.. If that is any help or clue. The Borla exhaust I have with the magnaflow cat is about all the racket I can stand. I am thinking headers will just add more. If the car does notmake enough power I can add a good set of headers next year.

Intake will be the last thing to figure out and not sure where to go with that..
Had to laugh when I read your comment about the raket the Borla exhaust and Magnaflow makes. I had magnaflow's with Melrose header, cam, and Rand technology bullet cats; however, I had to get rid of the magnaflows and put my OEM mufflers. What a difference. When driving with the magnaflows, even with the radio at full blast it was awful; do yourself a favor and put OEM mufflers, you won't lose hardly any power, and your wife will get in the car. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:42 PM
RPOL71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by joe3906
Had to laugh when I read your comment about the raket the Borla exhaust and Magnaflow makes. I had magnaflow's with Melrose header, cam, and Rand technology bullet cats; however, I had to get rid of the magnaflows and put my OEM mufflers. What a difference. When driving with the magnaflows, even with the radio at full blast it was awful; do yourself a favor and put OEM mufflers, you won't lose hardly any power, and your wife will get in the car. Good luck.
You lose 35hp with stock mufflers. Or, you gain 35hp if you remove the stock mufflers. That is over an open exhaust. After market mufflers have cost as little as 3-5hp up to 50hp depending on the noise level you can stand. This was from dyno testing on 1989 L-98 in the 1990's. Times do change.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:20 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I picked up a HOT cam for my '88. Those XFI cams are nice but one would have cost me $200 more. Lots of choices on intakes!
You are going hot cam over LPE? Will the power band match as good? I think you might lose some torque coming out of the corners compared to the 219 or something in that range.

can't wait to hear how it works
Old 11-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by RPOL71
You lose 35hp with stock mufflers. Or, you gain 35hp if you remove the stock mufflers. That is over an open exhaust. After market mufflers have cost as little as 3-5hp up to 50hp depending on the noise level you can stand. This was from dyno testing on 1989 L-98 in the 1990's. Times do change.
if you remove the stock mufflers you gain 35 hp? I think thats a bit of a stretch..
Old 11-16-2009, 03:27 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by joe3906
With the Borla setup you are sort of stuck with their muffler as it has a ball and socket setup that fits nothing else.. I might try dealing with it for a bit longer and if i can't will put it up for sale complete at a bargin for someone younger than me.. Geez i am half deaf from too many years in dyno cells and race tracks and itis loud for me. Someone with good hearing this must be over the top..LOL

Finally settled on cam and going with the 071 zz3/zz4 cam with 1.6 intake rockers and 1.5 exh gives me .506/510 lift. I played around onthe GMPP website with their little dyno program. I did make an assumption that what they offer for combinations and these no doubt have been tested previously so not really a dyno program but just picking one of a few tested combos. This cam is stronger to 3500 even until just before peak torgue and down 10 hp at 5800 but has more area under the curve and more friendly for a stock converter than the LT4 hotcam from what I can see plus can use springs and retainers i have already on the Fastburn heads compared to all the Comp cams stuff that adds 250 to 300 to it all. Seems like a fair trade to me.

Now down to intake choices..sigh..A First seems like big bucks others seem like a lot of work so TBD..

As a side note compared to a TPI the ZZ4 with a carb is +100 hp and + 50 ft/lbs the fastburn heads add 50 more hp and cut the torgue by 3 or 4 ft/lbs with the same cam according to GM.. These are flywheel numbers and it depends on if GM can be trusted with their test numbers..

Last edited by ddahlgren; 11-16-2009 at 03:32 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by pologreen1
You are going hot cam over LPE? Will the power band match as good? I think you might lose some torque coming out of the corners compared to the 219 or something in that range.

can't wait to hear how it works
Matt is winning a lot of races with one! Plus I wouldn't pay what LPE charges for a cam, they are way over cost.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...-part-2-a.html
Old 11-19-2009, 02:09 AM
RPOL71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337
if you remove the stock mufflers you gain 35 hp? I think thats a bit of a stretch..
You don't believe me grasshopper? That included the cat. Dyno at The Dyno Room in San Jose, Ca. 1989 L98 Corvette, in 1994. I swear.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Trebor
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by RPOL71
You don't believe me grasshopper? That included the cat. Dyno at The Dyno Room in San Jose, Ca. 1989 L98 Corvette, in 1994. I swear.
Be serious..you are lucky (and I emphasize "lucky") if you gain 5-7hp at the wheels with an aftermarket exhaust. The only thing you usually gain with an aftermarket exhaust is a headache.

trebor
Old 11-19-2009, 05:13 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Trebor
Be serious..you are lucky (and I emphasize "lucky") if you gain 5-7hp at the wheels with an aftermarket exhaust. The only thing you usually gain with an aftermarket exhaust is a headache.

trebor
I called the dealer the stock mufflers are discontinued so can not buy stock as delivered only something sort of like it NAPA or whatever. i had rusted out 'dyno max' noise makers... The Borla stuff fits well , magnaflo does not even come close, but not what I wanted sound wise.. For me a racket when on the fast pedal and well behaved off it would be the best of both worlds.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:31 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Everything else gets very complicated and expensive in a hurry.

Man, is that an understatement..........
Old 11-21-2009, 06:13 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

I am thinking it is very easy to get sucked into the lopey idle big cam sounds cool drives like crap. Also if you follow development the LT4 hotcam was designed around the LT4 mini ram and LT4 gearing I find it hard to believe it translates to an L98 or anything like it.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

I am thinking it is very easy to get sucked into the lopey idle big cam sounds cool drives like crap. Also if you follow development the LT4 hotcam was designed around the LT4 mini ram and LT4 gearing I find it hard to believe it translates to an L98 or anything like it.
Dyno link in my above post.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:27 AM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts

also
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...ts-are-in.html
Old 11-21-2009, 01:11 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Thanks Andrew. I know I seen them cheap too, I think it will be cool to see it with your ported SR.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:21 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Dyno link in my above post.
I looked at it and quite impressive would you care to share the combination that produced those results?
Dave

Get notified of new replies

To I figured out why so many use the LT4 hotcam

Old 11-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Best to ask Matt. I think he posted the combo in that thread. IIRC LTR, ported 113's, fresh short block. From what I remember he won regional NASA TTA this year, the ZO6's are classed in that, and on J55 calipers!
Old 11-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I ran the zz4 cam for years. Use the LT4 valve springs and retainers. Less than $80 last time I checked.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:00 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wasn't the ZZ-3 just a flat tappet hydraulic cam?

Quick Reply: I figured out why so many use the LT4 hotcam