C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Prepping for new paint job: Removing old clear and filling chips

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jhammons01
I disagree totally.....Jleatherman, you continue to learn what you need to in order to accomplish this task.

This Forum isn't really much good when the members tell everyone NOT to try to fix things on their own.

Might as well answer every thread with, "take it back to the Dealer"

JLeatherman, The metallic in the bronze color you have has oxidized and that is why the clear came off, you'll need to sand down to the Black or Dark Gray primer that is under neath the Bronze. That Black Primer will still have good adhesion to the SMC......and that is what you want, your new paint layers can stick to that Primer.

Have fun and go slow, Most will not agree but you can do Panel at a time (the paint may not lay out the same each time) but you may be getting more experience each time you paint......if you are doing it yourself, you can always rework what you don't like.

Amen brutha. I do my own work because I am tired of "pro's" taking my money and giving me crap work.
If I listened to the naysayer's I would not know 90% of what I know now.

As an example, what do people on this forum know me as?
Construction worker?
Painter?
Road worker?
Airplane pilot?

None of the above. My reputation is transmissions. Everyone I knew said don't dare get into those. It can't be done by a normal guy with no professional automotive training.

So, this construction worker learned to do transmissions. And, I am decent at it.

Moral of the story, separate yourself from people that say don't. Negativity sucks.
However, be prepared to reap the rewards, or problms caused by your own hands, and you won't be disappointed.
Ain't nuthin you can't break, that you can't fix.
Gotta run to the dealer for my Mobil 1 oil change now.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:44 AM
josephf31
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default You

Originally Posted by Pete K
Amen brutha. I do my own work because I am tired of "pro's" taking my money and giving me crap work.
If I listened to the naysayer's I would not know 90% of what I know now.

As an example, what do people on this forum know me as?
Construction worker?
Painter?
Road worker?
Airplane pilot?

None of the above. My reputation is transmissions. Everyone I knew said don't dare get into those. It can't be done by a normal guy with no professional automotive training.

So, this construction worker learned to do transmissions. And, I am decent at it.

Moral of the story, separate yourself from people that say don't. Negativity sucks.
However, be prepared to reap the rewards, or problms caused by your own hands, and you won't be disappointed.
Ain't nuthin you can't break, that you can't fix.
Gotta run to the dealer for my Mobil 1 oil change now.
need 3 things; the desire, the time, and the facilities (garage, tools etc.) to do a job properly yourself. Not everyone has all 3 of those things. If you do, great. If not, then leave the big jobs to the pros.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Originally Posted by josephf31
need 3 things; the desire, the time, and the facilities (garage, tools etc.) to do a job properly yourself. Not everyone has all 3 of those things. If you do, great. If not, then leave the big jobs to the pros.

Of course. That's just common sense.

He is asking, so I feel compelled to help him, rather than discourage him.
A lot of negativity on this forum lately (as a whole), and I am trying to inject some positive.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Pete K
Race Director

And don't forget the safety equiptment.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:10 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete K
Of course. That's just common sense.

He is asking, so I feel compelled to help him, rather than discourage him.
A lot of negativity on this forum lately (as a whole), and I am trying to inject some positive.
Yup.......

The Question was about prepping the car for paint, any answer that does not address the question is not helpful.

Forums are for exchanging information and learning for the DIYer.

If the Guy wants to paint the car out in a field, or rebuild a motor on his Kitchen Table......that is their prerogative. We can be helpful by answering the question with correct info. Assuming someone hasn't the ability or facility is wrong headed.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:16 PM
josephf31
Pro

Default Well said

Yup.......

The Question was about prepping the car for paint, any answer that does not address the question is not helpful.

Forums are for exchanging information and learning for the DIYer.

If the Guy wants to paint the car out in a field, or rebuild a motor on his Kitchen Table......that is their prerogative. We can be helpful by answering the question with correct info. Assuming someone hasn't the ability or facility is wrong headed.
but still, words of wisdom to a poster ARE advice!
Old 11-25-2009, 03:55 PM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

The question was, in fact, about "prepping" the car for paint. Let's face it, prep work makes or breaks a paint job, costs the most, and doesn't require any terribly expensive tools. I figured that part atleast I can do myself. I have painted cars outdoors before (I know, shocking) and they've come out fine. Wait for a nice clear sunny day, wet down the driveway, and spray away. Anyway, I do appreciate the posts on here about prep work. Once I finish working through my engine/trans issues and park her for the winter it'll be time to start sanding
Old 11-25-2009, 11:00 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
St. Jude Donor '10

I disagree totally.....Jleatherman, you continue to learn what you need to in order to accomplish this task.

This Forum isn't really much good when the members tell everyone NOT to try to fix things on their own.

Might as well answer every thread with, "take it back to the Dealer"

JLeatherman, The metallic in the bronze color you have has oxidized and that is why the clear came off, you'll need to sand down to the Black or Dark Gray primer that is under neath the Bronze. That Black Primer will still have good adhesion to the SMC......and that is what you want, your new paint layers can stick to that Primer.

Have fun and go slow, Most will not agree but you can do Panel at a time (the paint may not lay out the same each time) but you may be getting more experience each time you paint......if you are doing it yourself, you can always rework what you don't like.
Good points!
Old 01-31-2010, 03:32 PM
shawn 84&92
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

^^Well, that was my last experience with paint. I took my RX7 to a place called "Carsmetics" on a recommendation (not sure if I'd pass that recommendation on). Anyway, When the car came out....it looked like crap. Lotsa dust, fish eyes, orange peal.

I complained and the Mgr took it back in and had it buffed out. Then the thing was full of swirls.....again very very bad.

Just by chance, a guy was there "rubbing out" a really nice paint job. He told me that He could fix it with no problems.

The Detail-er was a guy named Musser. Musser quoted us $200 to fix it up. Me and the Manager split the $200.

That guy wet sanded and buffed that paint.....and afterward it was beautiful.

Musser explained that almost all paint needs to be rubbed out afterward and that is the detail that a lot of folks overlook.

So if that is the case, And I have Mussers card right here, Why not spray the car myself and then take it to Musser for a final buff?
I finished painting an MGB for my wife this summer, it was my second paint job. A friend of mine is good with a buffe and assured me that if I would just get the base coat smooth and ut on enough clear, we could color sand and buff it out to look great. I listened to him and after many hours of color sanding it came out great. The paint had awful orange peel, but now it is smooth as glass.

My next one, I will try the 3000 grit wet sanding DA pads.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:59 PM
RonsRed88
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I've often thought of painting my own car and thought as a learning step it would be a good idea to buy a junk fender or hood and practice with that? That way you can make as many mistakes as you want, start over and do it again until you get it right. Does that make sense?

Ron
Old 02-01-2010, 03:44 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^^Sure, why not?? Go get any fender from a junk yard and practice away.....

Understand, the smaller the area the smaller the cfm needed....so what you can make look good with a spray can....if the area is larger you need a larger cfm gun.....
Old 02-01-2010, 03:44 PM
npbassman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RonsRed88
I've often thought of painting my own car and thought as a learning step it would be a good idea to buy a junk fender or hood and practice with that? That way you can make as many mistakes as you want, start over and do it again until you get it right. Does that make sense?

Ron
Yep. Or try to pick up an old motorcycle tank. It's small enough to completely strip very quickly and it has a lot of angles which will help you improve your spray gun technique.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Bondami
Race Director

Location: Southside of Western Norte Americano State of Confusion, ColoFornia
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude '13

The one piece of advice that i will give here..buy a decent gun.. I started painting with a hand me down junk gun.. wouldnt hold adjustments etc.. you can buy a decent devilblis HVLP gun for 200 bucks.. it will make life easier. that way the mistakes you make will be yours not the gun.

The other advice is, when you go to get paint ASK questions. I use a lot of Dupont omni
Old 02-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Off Topic, but funny none the less.

Used to have a neighbor that had a real POS Olds Delta 88. Used to collect my used engine oil and dump it into his engine because only 6 of the eight cylinders were working and he would go into the gas station to fill up the oil and check the gas. Ultimate in oil recycling I guess.

Anyway, he takes it over to Macco and gets one of their $99 specials with a life time warranty. They sprayed over the dirt, and whatever. He drove it for about a year, and I saw him driving down the road and flagged him down and said, "Hey, (caugh, cough) your car looks great (cough, cough) - you get her washed?" while choking on his smoke. I knew he never washed that car.

He replied, nope, took it in and Macco sprayed it again for me for free. Turns out he repeated this every year for years until the engine finally dropped out the bottom.

Quick Reply: Prepping for new paint job: Removing old clear and filling chips