C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Driveline slack

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 09:31 PM
Lynn Mobley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driveline slack

My 88 4+3 has excessive slack in the drive train. I have replaced the half shaft U joints and made it some better. I recently drove a friend's 86 4+3 and thought mine was much better until I experienced his. Mine still has a lot of slack apparently. It could be loose splines in rear hubs? And somebody said that there's a large metal truss connecting the transmission to the rear differential paralleling the driveshaft and that the holes for the bolts for this truss could be wornout. Anybody run into this problem?
Old 02-27-2002, 09:36 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Driveline slack (Lynn Mobley)

The beam running from the output area of the trans to the input area of the differential is commonly referred to as the "torque arm" or "c-beam". There are two large long bolts that attach each end. I have heard of the bolts coming loose and the holes enlarging which could cause some play in the system. You need to get the car up high and get under there and push on it and see if that's your problem. I would think if you have worn splines on the hubs you would hear a clunk going from revearse to forward. You should be able to check that easy by jacking up the back. Leaving the car in gear engine off and try wiggling the wheel back and forth to check for play. Have somebody hold the opposite wheel stationary while doing this. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Driveline slack