C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I'm ready to burn it...leaking valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 01:56 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I had bad leakage problems after running for a while then sitting and the accumulated oil always leaked out from the bottom of the valve cover. Looked like a BBQ grill at start up.

I cleaned up the original covers and installed cork with high temp gasket maker on both sides. Still leaked. Finally torqued the bolts enough to stop the leaking. I figured the cover was warped so I ordered new cast covers and bought rubber gaskets. I used gasket maker to mount the gasket to the covers and let dry. I used nuts and bolts to line up the holes while drying. Anyway the d@#* things leaked again. I feel your frustration.

One thing not mentioned here that I finally did was replace the original bolts and used gasket sealer on the threads. The originals kept loosening after a few warm up/cool off cycles. Another tip is after you reinstall your covers, warm the motor and then retorque the bolts. This will help alot keeping the new bolts from coming loose. I did have alot of gunk in the bolt holes so make sure to clean out as much as you can. I have probly over torqued everything now but with the cast covers it hasnt been a problem and finally all is sealed.

The "Right Stuff" is good but expensive. You can use it if you dont intend to take the covers off again soon. It wont matter what type of gasket you use with it, it will seal. I am going back into mine soon, so I just used high temp silicone on the cover side only. It took a little bit but so far so good.

Good luck and either get some marsh mellows or an extinguisher, dont let your ride burn, you'll get it!!
Old 12-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,768 Likes on 945 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by bill mcdonald
I think cork gaskets are garbage.
I use rubber. only bought 1 set in 1999, and I am still using the same set to this day.

I siliconed mine to the valve cover. removed over 15 times, and never leaked ever.
I used cork on other cars, and once I peaked inside, they would start leaking soon after. They are a one time use and crap. Sorry.

For the AFR heads. my center bolt valve covers were not seating down all the way due to the screw guides (center bolt) being too long. I shaved those guides down and it dropped down perfect. If you get in there again, you might want to take a look at your valve covers center bolt guides.

To the OP

where is it leaking exactly? around the bolts? Perimiter bolts correct?
I have a similar problem. I just bought some valve covers and the bolt guides are hitting the head bolts and not allowing me to put the cover all the way down on the head. Is it ok to shorten the guides or do they have to seal on the head to work right or something?

Quick Reply: I'm ready to burn it...leaking valve covers