C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Strategy to selecting x pipe location?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 11:52 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 94lt1vette94
As soon as I have the money to install it lol. It's tough being a kid

Haha, you're telln' me!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:35 AM
RacerX70CC
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you have the same x?

How close is yours mounted to the beginning of the parallel pipes section?
I like to cut the OEM pipes right before they neck down at the front of the resonator. Thanks for the business, too.

Originally Posted by Weav's Vet
See post #41. He sells them. Guess you didn't make the connection.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:57 PM
94lt1vette94
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX70CC
I like to cut the OEM pipes right before they neck down at the front of the resonator. Thanks for the business, too
Wait a second...

So you're advanced performance?
Old 02-04-2010, 02:43 PM
RacerX70CC
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can neither confirm or deny that information
Old 02-04-2010, 06:04 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

The stock exhaust system on an LT1 works. DYno results of aftermarket systems show very little gains because it just works. Size isn't everything. There are some members here with corsa systems making 450 + rwhp and its a 2.5 inch system. The resonator necks down but so does the pipe right before it enters the front of the mufflers too.

Imo one of the best systems is LTs+ no cats or high flow cats and a stock LT1 system resonator and all. I had that setup on my bolt on 93 many years back and it had no resonance and made a unique and nasty sounding roar at wot.

I have tons of pics but here's a bad cell phone shot of my system. Resonance? Talk about headaches after 5 min drives.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:19 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Kubs, is it the video or is your tilt wheel loose?
Old 02-04-2010, 07:00 PM
94lt1vette94
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RacerX70CC
I can neither confirm or deny that information
I see cape coral as your location
Pleasure doing business with you
Old 02-04-2010, 07:02 PM
94lt1vette94
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 8000RPM
The stock exhaust system on an LT1 works. DYno results of aftermarket systems show very little gains because it just works. Size isn't everything. There are some members here with corsa systems making 450 + rwhp and its a 2.5 inch system. The resonator necks down but so does the pipe right before it enters the front of the mufflers too.

Imo one of the best systems is LTs+ no cats or high flow cats and a stock LT1 system resonator and all. I had that setup on my bolt on 93 many years back and it had no resonance and made a unique and nasty sounding roar at wot.

I have tons of pics but here's a bad cell phone shot of my system. Resonance? Talk about headaches after 5 min drives.
Those are my exact plans
This x is going on the stock lt1 exhaust and I'm replacing the stock muffs with 2.75" straight pipe or 3" powersticks. It'll be nasty either way. I notice ur x is WAY back towards the rear of the exhaust. Did you ever dyno with it closer to the cats?
Old 02-04-2010, 08:18 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Dyno with the rt metallic cats was 477.8 rwhp @7300 rpm. It just looks so far back I'll dig up another pic

Here's a pic I found after cleaning all the burnt oil off of it. Idiot shoppe installed 2 washers on the oil pan gasket. you can picture the carnage of 5 L of oil spewing onto the header and exhaust

Last edited by 5abivt; 02-04-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:44 PM
94lt1vette94
Burning Brakes

Dyno with the rt metallic cats was 477.8 rwhp @7300 rpm. It just looks so far back I'll dig up another pic

Here's a pic I found after cleaning all the burnt oil off of it. Idiot shoppe installed 2 washers on the oil pan gasket. you can picture the carnage of 5 L of oil spewing onto the header and exhaust

Woah 477whp! Must be a ZR1 (obviously because ur username is 8000rpm haha). That sure is a shiny exhaust system! I thought u said that was the original LT1 exhaust?
Btw, I can't really tell, but is it welded or clamped on?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:01 PM
94lt1vette94
Burning Brakes

I decided to do a quick photoshop of my current exhaust and how I want it to be. Input is encouraged!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:09 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I was planning on deleting the cats after my inspection in March... are there straight pipes that replace the cats from the stock manafolds? Also, what do I need to prevent a check engine light? You have a video of the stock exhaust without cats? You said you think its a good setup, did it sound louder than with cats?
Thanks!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:05 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Woah 477whp! Must be a ZR1 (obviously because ur username is 8000rpm haha). That sure is a shiny exhaust system! I thought u said that was the original LT1 exhaust?
Btw, I can't really tell, but is it welded or clamped on?
No Not a Zr1 Just an LT4 with a solid roller. Right now Im actually at 0 rwhp since it blew up but my 370 ci is done. The engine dyno was really happy but since everyone likes rwhp numbers I'll wait to get it in the car and get some roller #s. Cracking 500 shouldnt be a problem @ 7500 with 8200 or so redline

SOrry for the confusion, the exhaust I put pics up of is a B&B 3" which I polished front to back. joints are welded on the sides you cant see where the clamps are. It has Borla Race Mufflers xr1 i think on the front, 2 12"race resonators then 2 more 10 inch resonators and then the b&B mufflers.

With regards to the LT1 system I removed it when I built the first 388 motor. On a bolt on engine it was the best exhaust I have yet to hear. It sounds better than my friends stock 96 LT4 that has a B&B cat back on the stock manifolds/cats.
I think there are pipes made to fit certain long tubes to the LT cat back system (believe Exotic muscle). Either way they are easy work for an exhaust shoppe to fab up.

The exact setup I ran was Watson Longtubes 1 3/4 with No cats right onto the stock system resonator and all. ZERO resonance at all I even drove the car to Englishtown several times and had no idea what people meant when they said 'resonance'. It had a slightly raspier idle than stock but nothing that would give it away. Rev it up and it roared like you guys wouldnt believe. Many many people asked about my exhaust but it was stone stock just painted flat black front to back.

To all those looking to replace mufflers and x pipes for resonators I would like to ask why? To me its like modifying the straw you breathe out of when your lungs are still tiny. If you have a built motor with super duper heads and long tube headers an x pipe and mufflers may help; if not you're looking to free up hp at the back end when your stock motor isnt very efficient to begin with . just my .02
Old 02-04-2010, 11:10 PM
ethree
Instructor

Nice illustration. I suspect that it would be awfully loud as you have it pictured, basically a straight-through exhaust. Others with experience would know better though.

I have been wondering about a similar setup with the x-pipe, except for shorty headers with stock cats (Cali) and keeping the mufflers. I feel that the headers would benefit from some downstream modifications, but based on what I've been reading in the forum, it's hard to know what. Although the X would improve balance and flow, it also seems like the reasonator plays a role in controlling both exhaust pulses and--dare I say--resonance. The LT4 exhaust has a simple H after the resonator and similar set-ups have been posted here. I wonder if this is an effective arrangement, perhaps because it maintains the function of the resonator (whatever that is) or just a low budget improvement.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:49 PM
94lt1vette94
Burning Brakes

No Not a Zr1 Just an LT4 with a solid roller. Right now Im actually at 0 rwhp since it blew up but my 370 ci is done. The engine dyno was really happy but since everyone likes rwhp numbers I'll wait to get it in the car and get some roller #s. Cracking 500 shouldnt be a problem @ 7500 with 8200 or so redline

SOrry for the confusion, the exhaust I put pics up of is a B&B 3" which I polished front to back. joints are welded on the sides you cant see where the clamps are. It has Borla Race Mufflers xr1 i think on the front, 2 12"race resonators then 2 more 10 inch resonators and then the b&B mufflers.

With regards to the LT1 system I removed it when I built the first 388 motor. On a bolt on engine it was the best exhaust I have yet to hear. It sounds better than my friends stock 96 LT4 that has a B&B cat back on the stock manifolds/cats.
I think there are pipes made to fit certain long tubes to the LT cat back system (believe Exotic muscle). Either way they are easy work for an exhaust shoppe to fab up.

The exact setup I ran was Watson Longtubes 1 3/4 with No cats right onto the stock system resonator and all. ZERO resonance at all I even drove the car to Englishtown several times and had no idea what people meant when they said 'resonance'. It had a slightly raspier idle than stock but nothing that would give it away. Rev it up and it roared like you guys wouldnt believe. Many many people asked about my exhaust but it was stone stock just painted flat black front to back.

To all those looking to replace mufflers and x pipes for resonators I would like to ask why? To me its like modifying the straw you breathe out of when your lungs are still tiny. If you have a built motor with super duper heads and long tube headers an x pipe and mufflers may help; if not you're looking to free up hp at the back end when your stock motor isnt very efficient to begin with . just my .02
I've never understood what solid roller and hydraulic roller meant lol
I'm wanting to change all of these things on the exhaust now so that I have the sound I want and am ready when I decide to buy heads/cam/lts
What all did u have done to the lt4 to make that kind of power at the wheels?
Old 02-05-2010, 12:45 AM
VeTTeMaNC486
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never understood what solid roller and hydraulic roller meant lol
I'm wanting to change all of these things on the exhaust now so that I have the sound I want and am ready when I decide to buy heads/cam/lts
What all did u have done to the lt4 to make that kind of power at the wheels?
A solid roller cam uses lifters that do no fill with oil, they are solid all the way through, a hydraulic roller cam uses lifters that fill with oil and pump up a plunger in order to push up on the push rods. Solid rollers have the advantage in that they provide the ability to rev higher, but you have to adjust the valve lash (distance between the rocker arm and the top of the valve) every so often, were as on a hydraulic roller you don't.

Some neat looking exhausts everyone.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:01 AM
94lt1vette94
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VeTTeMaNC486
A solid roller cam uses lifters that do no fill with oil, they are solid all the way through, a hydraulic roller cam uses lifters that fill with oil and pump up a plunger in order to push up on the push rods. Solid rollers have the advantage in that they provide the ability to rev higher, but you have to adjust the valve lash (distance between the rocker arm and the top of the valve) every so often, were as on a hydraulic roller you don't.

Some neat looking exhausts everyone.
Thanks man Very informative

Hydraulic would probably suit my use better

Quick Reply: Strategy to selecting x pipe location?