C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Optima Battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 12:06 PM
OptimaJim
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Hello, I saw some confusion regarding our batteries and wanted to help any way I could. All new RedTops and YellowTops come with three-year replacement warranties. As RollaMo-LT4 indicated, if your vehicle has electrical issues that are killing batteries, they will likely do the same thing to an Optima. Most of the “bad” batteries returned to us today are merely deeply-discharged and work just fine when properly recharged. This video explains how to recharge a deeply-discharged AGM battery- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIoaL3DWWEg

Our battery posts have an inner and outer portion. During the manufacturing process, these two parts are joined. By cutting off either post, you will also cut off where the posts are joined, which is why a battery would get a reading of 0 volts. It also voids the warranty.

We do not currently offer a “direct-fit” replacement battery, that can fit C4s without modification to the piece that goes across the battery (making space for a top post battery, such as a 75/25) or modifications to the battery tray, to fit a larger RedTop 78, sidepost-only battery.

As Michael indicated, battery tenders/maintainers are excellent investments, which will help extend the life of any battery, regardless of brand. This video offers some tips for proper battery storage- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z40SQCKWKNw

Our batteries can be mounted in a variety of positions, but many owners choose them because of the sealed design, which minimizes the chance of acid damage in their engine compartment. This is especially important for many new Corvettes, which have sensitive electronics located directly below the battery tray. If you have any battery-related questions, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
Old 02-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Michael Dowd
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Thank you everyone

I want to thank everyone that took the time to advise me on what I should do next. I plan on getting the 78 series as has been described above and modifying the battery tray. The car that I have only has 20K on it and it looks as if this has already been done to it for some reason.
Mike
Old 02-09-2010, 06:36 PM
M.J.L.
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Optima sucks! Im on my 3rd optima in two years....they are defective...made in mexico...plain and simple a waste. Get a good conventional battery and the hell with optima and the garbage they sell......
Old 02-10-2010, 08:01 AM
jon1all
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I have had just the opposite luck with the Optima Red I have in my Dodge Ram 1500. Bought it three years ago and so far has been a great battery. Batteries take a beating out here in the Arizona heat. Typical life expectancy for a conventional battery 1.5-3 years. If you still have the same battery out here 3+ years later you are not only lucky, but living on borrowed time.

Optimas just tend to last longer out here. I have several friends with Optimas that are 5+ years old and still going strong. That is unheard of for a conventional battery in Phoenix.

That said, they are pricey, and I would probably just go with a conventional battery if my C4 needed one seeing as it's a 4th vehicle. When I bought the Optima for my Dodge it was a work truck at the time and had to start every time... no debates.

Good thing about the conventionals out here is... since they usually die within their warranty period... you do get a free replacement! Just a pain having to swap batteries every 24 months.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:49 AM
M.J.L.
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by jon1all
I have had just the opposite luck with the Optima Red I have in my Dodge Ram 1500. Bought it three years ago and so far has been a great battery. Batteries take a beating out here in the Arizona heat. Typical life expectancy for a conventional battery 1.5-3 years. If you still have the same battery out here 3+ years later you are not only lucky, but living on borrowed time.

Optimas just tend to last longer out here. I have several friends with Optimas that are 5+ years old and still going strong. That is unheard of for a conventional battery in Phoenix.

That said, they are pricey, and I would probably just go with a conventional battery if my C4 needed one seeing as it's a 4th vehicle. When I bought the Optima for my Dodge it was a work truck at the time and had to start every time... no debates.

Good thing about the conventionals out here is... since they usually die within their warranty period... you do get a free replacement! Just a pain having to swap batteries every 24 months.
5 years???
Old 02-10-2010, 06:07 PM
jon1all
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Oakley~
5 years???
Yep.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:53 AM
OptimaJim
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Oakley, I’m sorry to hear about the problems you’ve been having and I’d like to try and help. Could you please tell me more about your application? Is your vehicle stock? Have you modified the engine or stereo at all and if so, how? Do you know what the “key-off” load is on your vehicle? This video explains how to measure key-off loads- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yPlx4MBNRU

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
Old 04-28-2011, 01:04 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

I have been useing the Optima Batteries since the came out some 15 (?) Years ago. Trucks, Vettes even Diesel Bobcats. I have probably bought a dozen or so of them. Never had a problem getting a least 5 years or so out of them with out useing a Trickle Charger. Costco is $129 and they have a no questions asked return.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:35 AM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by megtom2
When we bought our 89 Formula I put a red top in it. It died within 3 months and I returned it for a free replacement. It died after about 4 months. The third one croaked after 3 months. I took the third dead one to the local parts store and used it as a core for one of their batteries. 2 years later and it is still doing fine. The Formula has a high power amp and stereo and I have not had any problems. I think the optimas are a waste of money after my experience. JMO
I have had them, & the only good thing I can say about them is they look good.

Quick Reply: Optima Battery