C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Install alarm in my corvette???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 04:16 PM
darkstallion_69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Install alarm in my corvette???

I want to put an aftermarket alarm in my 1994 corvette. Ill be puting in a good uality alarm probably from clifford. My question is if there is anything i should be aware of or problems hat may arise from putting in a alarm?
Old 02-01-2010, 04:36 PM
jimg's'93
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you seem decided in having an aftermarket system, I'd say to be sure it's installed by a reputable company and you have a contract explicitly stating that they will ensure that any vehicle unreliability or simple 'quirks' resulting from the install will be repaired with no questions.

I hate to sound so negative, but the later C4s have theft deterrence built in which does not seem to play well at all with other aftermarket systems. I know this first hand after having gone through pains to make the system original.

Fire away!

Good Luck!
Old 02-01-2010, 04:58 PM
darkstallion_69
Burning Brakes

Thats what im afraid of..the aftermath. Is there anybody that has an alarm on there corvette right now? Can anybody in the south florida area recomend someone that has experience in vettes? I want things done right the first time around. thanks
Old 02-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Michael Dowd
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Alarm Installation

I have installed several alarms into my past and present Corvettes and am in the process of installing a Viper 5902 into my 1990 convertible. The first thing you want to do is get the factory manuals for the car if you do not have them already, this will help you with component location and wire colors. Second, take your time and think about what you want to do for a while. Unlike having it installed by a professional we are not on the clock and can think things over before drilling holes. I have installed the blinking LED in the bottom of the mirror which is not detectable unless the alarm is activated, installed the alarm horn and pager antenna under the rear near the factory antenna, added the power door locks, and the remote starter. It is also very intimidating with all the wires that are part of the install. I sit down with the harness and remove the wires that I am not using from the connectors with an extractor tool or a paperclip will work also. Small things like this will make it look like it was a custom job. With the dash removed you can splice into the existing relays for the door locks and route the light flashing feature into the harness at the light switch. It takes me several weeks to get it completed including wrapping the wires over the factory harness but it relaxes me from the daily grind.
Sorry for being long winded but I have finally for a posting that I can help with.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:21 PM
darkstallion_69
Burning Brakes

wow that sounds lke a very clean installation. Unfortunatly I dont have the time for an extensive istallation like thatas my car is a daily driver. I personally have no patience for that type of work and wouldnt have no choice other than to take it to a professional installer. What will I be looking at if I take it to an installer? Is it a guarenteed crappy job or it can be done right. Ive been without an alarm for 9 months now but I lve in a heavily populated city and corvettes of this year are rare. This is a gem for some young punk looking for parts. I have trouble sleeping at night knowing my car is exposed therefore I need something to ease my mind just a little.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Michael Dowd
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could check with local people and ask for references. Also most installers that take pride in what they do will have scrap books with previous jobs. I purchased my alarm at Best Buy whichs also does installations but they are on the clock and will do it quickly. I have seen installations that have been done by them which meet the needs but are done without much thought put into them.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:05 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

got mine from http://www.autoalarmpro.com. When they sell you the alarm of your choice, they prewire it for your application. You only cut one wire on your car for the starter interupt ( this is for alarms with self starters included). You put their fittings on their wires (everything is colorcoded to your car) & then snap everything together. Coulden`t be easier
Old 02-02-2010, 08:30 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Viper Alarm was installed in my 95 by the previous owner. I've had no problems with it in 6 years. I also have no idea where its located in the car. I just push the button and it beeps and locks or unlocks like its supposed. I wish I had a manual or further knowledge as to how to work it. I just bought a backup/replacement remote but cant seem to get it to work yet. If you do this please be nice enough to document everything for future owners.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:16 PM
drayset1010
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will these alarms unlock the doors also? I am new to the late 80s vette and i know they have electiric locks

Get notified of new replies

To Install alarm in my corvette???

Quick Reply: Install alarm in my corvette???