C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Which mod should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:29 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

have a 1996 LT4 coupe.

did the cat back; went with CORSA exhaust; pricey, but all stainless steel exhaust systems are pricey; and CORSA was the ONLY manufacturer that even used the word "quiet" in its advertisement; it's advertised to flow 47% over stock; it replaced a Flowmaster system (resonator deleted, short 2 chamber mufflers) which was unbearable.

did the Hot Cam swap; easier on a LT4 since they already have the 1.6 ratio roller rockers. The secret in doing any LT based engine swap is to be realistic; especially if your engine has accumulated any significant mileage: almost everything you take off is going to a candidate for replacement. And parts for these engines are very expensive compared to traditional small blocks. So be forewarned: costs escalated very quickly.

did not do a header swap since this is a california car which requires stock cats in the stock location. shorty style headers are available, but the consensus of opinion seems to be that these style headers provide little, if any gain, over the stock manifolds.

And yes, the exhaust note is noticeably louder than with the stock cam, but liveable.

And yes, power went up (how much I don't know) and the mileage went down (26 mpg freeway to 21 / 22 mpg freeway).

also, LT4 Hot Cam passed CA smog without any problem. used stock tune.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:21 AM
James93LT1
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

1. LT4 Hotcam Kit
2. Shorties or Long tube headers
3. 4.10 gears
4. Head work or Cat back exhuast system
Old 02-05-2010, 10:39 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by 96z51
yeah but him having an lt1 will not see all of the performance that your lt4 would get from a hotcam.. need a bit larger of a cam to make the same power.. i would say get a custom cam with more lift. he is going to need springs anyway.
The HC kit actually comes with LT4 springs and roller rockers. At this point the major difference then is head design, which I agree is a major difference. But in his list of mods, this will give him the biggest effect. But rear gears are definitely a thought for him. But really it all depends on what he wants from his car. I personally like the Hotcam, the lope is somewhat profound, but not hysterical. Throttle response is solid, city driving is smooth, and when the "need" arises, I can get to 70 MPH with the best of em'
Old 02-05-2010, 12:56 PM
MTVette
Race Director

Received 478 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by 96z51
i would not use slight when describing the hotcams lope.
I can add to that - I have a Youtube video of my LT1 engine with a HotCam, LT headers, and a custom exhaust. Some like it, some don't - YMMV.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:59 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

hot cam kit (full kit) while cam is out port and polish heads and intake.
Headers
gears
Old 02-06-2010, 06:32 AM
Wisor1RL
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT4 Port and Polish

I just noticed your post about upgrades to your LT4.
If you are interested in very affordable head and intake work, I have already completed 1 LT4 and welcome another or more. Even though my cousin is married to his sister, I'm no John Lingenfelter, but do have HP and Torque results to verify quality. I am interested in your results, with or without my help. Thanks for your time, Randy

Quick Reply: Which mod should I do?