C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need info for interior repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Johann 86
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info for interior repair

I am planning on doing some interior upgrades to my '86 C4 and would like to know if any 'how-to' manuals exist. I'm looking for instruction on removing door panels, gauge cluster, steering wheel, seats, ect. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:01 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Here is what I wrote up for removing my door panel on my 88:

To remove your door panel:
Remove the positive (or negative) cable from the battery terminal (keeps you from blowing fuses)
unlock the door and using the flat blade screwdriver pop off the lock indicator.
there are several screws around the edge of the panel near the bottom, remove them all. Remove the 4 screws holding your speaker grill on. Remove the one screw on the back of the door above the hatch switch (I didn't even know where the hatch switch was until I did this). Remove the two screws in the arm rest. Gently pull the bottom edge of the door panel out, make sure you didn't leave any screws in.
Lift up the panel and it will come off, there are several wire connectors, gently disconnect each one. For the door lock switch a thin straight bladed screwdriver works the best to get the connector off.
Now you will see a plastic sheet held on by two or three plastic press in holders and a bead of glue around the bottom. Using your pliers gently pry them out and pull the plastic down exposing the inner door panel (silver) and the 4 screws holding in the Bose speaker enclosure.
Using the 7mm nut driver remove the screws holding the silver panel and the bose speaker box.
There is one more "bolt" that goes through the inner door panel and the window mechanisim, use the 10 or 12 mm socket to remove it.
Now you can wiggle the inner door panel out. Push id down and back and the top right corner should wiggle out. Push down and forward and the rest of the top will come out, pull up and the bottom will come out. THere are two bars running along the backside of this panel, one for the lock and one for the door handle. They may come loose, thats OK they pop right back in place.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:42 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

This site has a section called (Tech tips) that has a lot of what your asking about in it. Just go to (Other) above then scroll down to C4 and start reading.. Wilcox Corvette also has an extensive help section with instructions on how to repair or replace many items on C4s..WW
Old 02-05-2010, 11:18 PM
Elrick
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did it all to my 86 and would be happy to pass along all I know. Alot of the stuff you are asking for is in a great book called 101 projects for vettes by Richard Newton. Just pm me with specifics and I will help all I can. You can also search this forum and find a lot as well. Let me know. Don't buy anything until you research it here, these guys will save you time and money and you will get it done right. Good luck
Old 02-07-2010, 07:59 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Johann 86
I am planning on doing some interior upgrades to my '86 C4 and would like to know if any 'how-to' manuals exist. I'm looking for instruction on removing door panels, gauge cluster, steering wheel, seats, ect. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
If your going to buy one book, make it the Factory Service Manual.

Here's a few pages from mine, if you need any others, just let me know.

http://members.shaw.ca/agent86/Dash%...%20Removal.pdf

http://members.shaw.ca/agent86/Steering%20Column.pdf

http://members.shaw.ca/agent86/Doors.pdf

Get notified of new replies

To Need info for interior repair

Quick Reply: Need info for interior repair