C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Are the heater hoses different sizes ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Are the heater hoses different sizes ?

1988 Auto coupe

I'm replacing the hoses that run from the oil cooler that is on top of the oil filter .

One goes to heater and then to water pump.

The other goes to water pump bypassing TB (TB bypass done a long time ago) - it has a metal T piece in it with a small hose going to rear of engine.

The two hoses that connect to the oil cooler were different sizes- one was 5/8th' and one was 3/4" , but a new 5/8" hose fits easily on either connector at the oil cooler.

The 5/8' hose that runs from the heater is very hard to fit over the connection to the water pump, which makes me think maybe the heater has two different size connectors. (I bypassed the heater a long time ago too)

Please can anyone verify what size heater/oil cooler hoses are used everywhere?

My vette is converted to RHDrive and in Australia. I have bought new 5/8" AND 3/4" heater hose off the roll. I may have to get metal inserts to form right angle bends, but need to know which size hoses to use first.

Last edited by Stingraynut; 02-05-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:21 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Default hose

http://www.ecklers.com/search.asp?ac...searchHistory=
Old 02-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

@seabright- I went to Ecklers before posting here - no sizes mentioned at Ecklers -also did a forum search - no sizes mentioned

I'm in Australia, with the car on axle stands, coolant drained, old hoses removed from the car - new hose is already bought (both 5/8" and 3/4") and waiting to be fitted.

What I need is to know is this -

Are both hoses 5/8" ID?

or is one different and where it is different?
Old 02-05-2010, 10:44 PM
ironvapor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sorry I don't know the exact answer to your question on this and your other post but maybe this will help. On my 89 the heater hose goes under the air conditioner compressor and there is T located there. The hose from the bottom of the T is the same size as the heater hose and goes on to an aluminum tube that goes down and crosses under the oil pan ( it is held in place by the pan bolts) to the drivers side (US) where a short hose attachs it to the oil cooler. That hose is smaller than the upper heater hose. I don't remember but I think the upper end of the aluminum tube is larger than the lower end which is why your hose fits one end and not the other. Confusing but I hope it is some help.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

@ironvapour- Thankyou. I have that aluminium tube but for some reason it is not being used and the hose comes all the way from the T piece to the oil cooler above the oil filter. Maybe it's damaged - only way to find out is to connect it up - might be easier to do what was done before, which is to cable tie the hose to the aluminium pipe!!

So your T piece is below the compressor, that seems a much better place for it than mine which is laying on the rocker cover.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Default UPDATE - sizes

I have reliable information now that ALL heater hose fittings are 5/8" ID EXCEPT the one to the water pump, which is 3/4". The OEM hose takes care of this by having one end 5/8" and the other 3/4"

So Heater takes 5/8" hose

Oil Cooler above oil filter takes 5/8"

Spigot on front of block takes 5/8"

Water pump takes 3/4"

Hope this helps someone else.

Get notified of new replies

To Are the heater hoses different sizes ?

Quick Reply: Are the heater hoses different sizes ?