C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Pre Cats and Headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Marv02
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pre Cats and Headers

I have a 1986 Vette and have t do the CA smog games.
I found some long tube smog legal 50 state headers but the only thing that has me giving this 2nd thoughts is my year vett has pre cats on it.

For all you Ca Smog gods can I use long tube headers get rid of the pre cats and still be able to pass smog I still will have the main cat but will that but go enought to get though smog check.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:07 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

It's my understanding at an EO number will get you past the visual. So, if you could find a front Y with no pre-cats and an EO number you wouild be good to go.

As an alternative you might try a mandrel-bent front Y with hi-flow bullet cats welded in to get past the visual. They you could gut the main cat as the two bullet will clean up emissions nicely.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:52 AM
MrVette90l98mt
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

If it has a EO# it's good to go in Cali. I have a 90 l98 that i would like to put some headers on but I can't find any long tubes with EO#. Let me know.

Ca is a pain to deal with smog
Legally-you CAN'T REMOVE OR Modify ANY parts of the emission control system on any car Ca or Fed when registered in CA. Any mods befor the throttle body or maf & after the last cat are OK.

In reality, a smog tech is only going to glance at your car-remember these guys are only charging $50-$90 a car they simply can not spend more than 30 minuts per car and make any money.
They generally check only for
-close to stock apperance (visual test)
-Cats, most places just check to see if it has a cat they generally don't care about# of cats (visual test)
-Fuel leaks (visual test)
-Check for all emmesion control parts, if it is tucked away they can't inspect it (visual test)
-'76-'95 get EVAP function test,<'96 get OBD scan) and ALL years get fuel cap test (function test)
-spark timing +/-2 degrees if applicable (emission sticker) (function test)
-Tail pipe emissions (function test)
-MIL or "check engine light" (function test)

If you really want to stick it to CA you can put a chrome "show cover" to hide your headers-it is not part of the Ca smog inspection to remove ANY part of the car in order to inspect emission control parts. Internal parts are OK as long as you don't go over the top with it.

If you ever want to drop in a LSx or what ever, that is an "Engine Change" meaning an engine that never was intended to be in that car. Then you really get shafted because now you have to get a new emission tag (From Referee station, CA controlled) for that engine and ALL of the emission control parts for that engine have to be there.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:26 AM
Marv02
Burning Brakes

Default Ok I Think

I stupid so you thing I can get away with headers and no precats ???????????.

One of theses days I going to rebuild the motor and put a 383 in it better heads and intake little more cam to it.

Just trying to get a head start with some headers for now.

Originally Posted by MrVette90l98mt
If it has a EO# it's good to go in Cali. I have a 90 l98 that i would like to put some headers on but I can't find any long tubes with EO#. Let me know.

Ca is a pain to deal with smog
Legally-you CAN'T REMOVE OR Modify ANY parts of the emission control system on any car Ca or Fed when registered in CA. Any mods befor the throttle body or maf & after the last cat are OK.

In reality, a smog tech is only going to glance at your car-remember these guys are only charging $50-$90 a car they simply can not spend more than 30 minuts per car and make any money.
They generally check only for
-close to stock apperance (visual test)
-Cats, most places just check to see if it has a cat they generally don't care about# of cats (visual test)
-Fuel leaks (visual test)
-Check for all emmesion control parts, if it is tucked away they can't inspect it (visual test)
-'76-'95 get EVAP function test,<'96 get OBD scan) and ALL years get fuel cap test (function test)
-spark timing +/-2 degrees if applicable (emission sticker) (function test)
-Tail pipe emissions (function test)
-MIL or "check engine light" (function test)

If you really want to stick it to CA you can put a chrome "show cover" to hide your headers-it is not part of the Ca smog inspection to remove ANY part of the car in order to inspect emission control parts. Internal parts are OK as long as you don't go over the top with it.

If you ever want to drop in a LSx or what ever, that is an "Engine Change" meaning an engine that never was intended to be in that car. Then you really get shafted because now you have to get a new emission tag (From Referee station, CA controlled) for that engine and ALL of the emission control parts for that engine have to be there.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Kool88vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Long tube headers are not smog legal in California. You are not allowed to make any changes before the main cat. If you remove the pre cats you will fail the visual. Catbacks are legal.

I failed my last smog because I had an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. The emissions were good but I still failed and had to put the OEM regulator back on.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Marv02
Burning Brakes

Default Thanks

Thanks a lot I wont but the headers now.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Kool88vette
Long tube headers are not smog legal in California. You are not allowed to make any changes before the main cat. If you remove the pre cats you will fail the visual. Catbacks are legal.

I failed my last smog because I had an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. The emissions were good but I still failed and had to put the OEM regulator back on.

Get notified of new replies

To Pre Cats and Headers

Quick Reply: Pre Cats and Headers