C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

which opti is best

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 09:55 AM
hershell973
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which opti is best

Looks like it's time to replace the opti. I see there are about a dozen brands on the market and I notice that people are even having problems with the high dollar high performance brands like MSD. So which brands are dependable? This will be my second time replacing the opti and don't want to do it again for a long time.

Last edited by hershell973; 04-24-2010 at 09:57 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-24-2010, 10:27 AM
surfer92
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Delphi and best price is thepartsladi on the bay.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:28 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

What year?
If its a 95+ stock replacement is an option

earlier years, like my 92 I'd probably get a stock replacement and modify it to be vented.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

I'll let the guys that have had problems with the MSD chime in but I, just pulled the MSD off my 92 to inspect it. At 10k miles it looks brand new, even the cap & rotor. And it's been wet when I washed the motor (no, I don't hold the hose on it).
Old 04-24-2010, 02:00 PM
skybolt31
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992
What year?
If its a 95+ stock replacement is an option

earlier years, like my 92 I'd probably get a stock replacement and modify it to be vented.
The MSD and Dynaspark look awesome, however based on polls and talk on this forum and others, they do not necessarily hold up any better than stock. When I replaced mine which is a 95, I went with stock, if I had an earlier year, I would have either modified stock to be vented or gone with an MSD or Dynaspark, I think vented is worth the effort.

Also, I would put a drain hose on the water pump to direct the antifreeze away from the opti if the pump starts going south.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:08 PM
demon seed
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a msd installed in my 93 40th ann. lasted 2 weeks. still saving up to get another opticrap. Definatly wont be wasting money on a msd,also mine didnt come with a rotor.since i got it in the fall and didnt get it installed till spring no one at the shop new it was missing.by that time the bill of sale went missing,had to order another.I to would like to know of another brand with a good track record.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:22 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just took my stock 96 opti off during my cam swap and looked inside. It looks pristine inside. I will replace the cap and rotor but only because I screwed up the coil terminal taking the wire off. Otherwise, I would have just put it back on.

I think the secret to long life is the venting. I also plan to mod the water pump to divert any weepage away from the opti.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:48 PM
timmy 93
Instructor

Originally Posted by hershell973
Looks like it's time to replace the opti. I see there are about a dozen brands on the market and I notice that people are even having problems with the high dollar high performance brands like MSD. So which brands are dependable? This will be my second time replacing the opti and don't want to do it again for a long time.
I would look at the Delteq-Opti-Direct.It is plug and play,Just like the northstar set-up. I have MSD ( in for repair only 650mi.) Just my 2 cents. Tim
Old 04-24-2010, 05:23 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

OEM vented opti is the best.

However, I don't know what year LT1 you own. If I had an earlier LT1 I'd do a vented opti conversion... My 95 Impala SS had more than 155,000 mile on the original opti (car was still running when sold) and the OEM opti on my vette handles 7,000 rpm blasts with ease...(engine rpm)

Mike
Old 04-24-2010, 05:50 PM
demon seed
Instructor

looked into delteq opti-direct! $785.00 is a little steep since i will prob have to replace the opti to make the delteq work anyway,seems unessasary to me.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:41 PM
demon seed
Instructor

just seen an ad on ebay for an opti (new for 2010 upgraded opti) arp or aip electronics ,cant remember ,cant miss the add ,says buyer beware. Interesting !!!
Old 04-25-2010, 05:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I personally use Delco/delphi opti-spark distributors....but that is just me. I have torn down many and have realized that the engineers did just enough to make it work for a while...and then the gasket/sealant would dry out...more than likely due to the heat cycles that the distributor has gone through.... and leak into the cap and rotor area and there you go...LIGHTS OUT!!!

For what it is worth to any of you who are concerned about water pump leaking and or water from washing your engine getting into the opti-spark. I have applied the black flexible ruberized product that you can dip your plier handles into....on the top of the distributor and along the sides so it will repel any water that gets on it. I can not say if it works great or not...because I have not yet had one come back in for a replacement and allow me to tear it down and inspect. But I do it on ALL that I install...just for the heck of it....eventhough I know it would be more profitable for me if I allowed them to FRY and keep installing them...but some how I would rather your Corvette run for a long time instead of having to deal with installing them more frequently.

"DUB"

Get notified of new replies

To which opti is best

Quick Reply: which opti is best