Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Stock LT1 Exhaust vs With Added X-Pipe

 
Old 04-28-2010, 09:24 PM
  #21  
5abivt
CF Senior Member
 
5abivt's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2002
Location: Toronto ontario
Posts: 4,638
Thanked 58 Times in 49 Posts
Default

WIsh I made clips of my Long tube headers w / stock exhaust / no cats. Sounded way better ! Still pretty good though.
5abivt is offline  
Old 04-28-2010, 09:52 PM
  #22  
78pacer
CF Senior Member
 
78pacer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: 78 Pace Car L82 95 LT1 Coupe
Posts: 1,300
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

The X-pipe I ordered was 3". My pipes are 2.75" OD
Mike
78pacer is offline  
Old 04-28-2010, 11:10 PM
  #23  
MJinPA
CF Senior Member
 
MJinPA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2008
Location: Mechanicsburg PA
Posts: 339
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CAJUN C4 View Post
Completely Stock 95' LT1 Exhaust then with the Resonator Removed and added a
3" Flowmonster X-Pipe Only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCZYAgz4V1g

I think it Makes the Stock Exhaust Sound Awsome. Louder, Lower and with no Drone whatsoever.

What do you think?

Dennis
No drone whatsoever?
MJinPA is offline  
Old 04-29-2010, 12:20 PM
  #24  
CAJUN C4
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CAJUN C4's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2000
Location: MANDEVILLE, LA La
Posts: 3,771
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CAJUN C4 View Post
I paid $42.88 for the X-Pipe and $130.00 for Installation (2 Hrs.Parts & Labor)

http://www.flowmonster.com/Xpipes.aspx

This one looks identical to the Flowmonster for less $$$$

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-5-i...Q5fAccessories

Plus 1-2 MPG Increase and pulls stronger over 4,000 RPM
I went with 3" and it does come in Stainless

see www.flowmonster.com My above thread gives a link to Ebay that looks exactly like the Flowmonster but Cheaper.

Dennis
CAJUN C4 is offline  
Old 04-29-2010, 06:59 PM
  #25  
CAJUN C4
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CAJUN C4's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2000
Location: MANDEVILLE, LA La
Posts: 3,771
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default


Last edited by CAJUN C4; 04-29-2010 at 07:05 PM.
CAJUN C4 is offline  
Old 04-30-2010, 03:19 AM
  #26  
78pacer
CF Senior Member
 
78pacer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: 78 Pace Car L82 95 LT1 Coupe
Posts: 1,300
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Great pics! Did the muffler shop have to drop your exhaust to do the conversion, or did they cut\weld in place?
Mike
78pacer is offline  
Old 04-30-2010, 10:57 AM
  #27  
50ithSILVERz06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2010
Posts: 121
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i think the muffler delete sounds more aggresive, i wonder how the x pipe and mufflers delete would sound..............probably kind of raspy........but then again there are still 2 converters left.......hmmm
50ithSILVERz06 is offline  
Old 04-30-2010, 12:54 PM
  #28  
CAJUN C4
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CAJUN C4's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2000
Location: MANDEVILLE, LA La
Posts: 3,771
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 78pacer View Post
Great pics! Did the muffler shop have to drop your exhaust to do the conversion, or did they cut\weld in place?
Mike
Yes,Cut / Weld in place.Took him about 2 Hrs.I think He did a fine Job.

I really Love the X-Pipe.Not too loud,not too quite.perfect for a 61 Yr. Old Kid..LOL
CAJUN C4 is offline  
Old 04-30-2010, 12:57 PM
  #29  
CAJUN C4
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CAJUN C4's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2000
Location: MANDEVILLE, LA La
Posts: 3,771
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 50ithSILVERz06 View Post
i think the muffler delete sounds more aggresive, i wonder how the x pipe and mufflers delete would sound..............probably kind of raspy........but then again there are still 2 converters left.......hmmm
I think it would sound great. The Cats would tame it down and the
X-Pipe would almost eliminate the drone.You might post it I believe someone else has done the exact thing.
CAJUN C4 is offline  
Old 04-30-2010, 01:45 PM
  #30  
78pacer
CF Senior Member
 
78pacer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: 78 Pace Car L82 95 LT1 Coupe
Posts: 1,300
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Excellent! I scheduled a Wednesday morning install. Thanks for the advice!
Mike
78pacer is offline  
Old 04-30-2010, 01:52 PM
  #31  
CAJUN C4
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CAJUN C4's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2000
Location: MANDEVILLE, LA La
Posts: 3,771
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 78pacer View Post
Excellent! I scheduled a Wednesday morning install. Thanks for the advice!
Mike
Mike:
Might do a before and after sound clip like I did so we can all hear how good it sounds.
Dennis
CAJUN C4 is offline  
Old 04-30-2010, 07:38 PM
  #32  
dogfish246
CF Senior Member
 
dogfish246's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2008
Location: Central (Monmouth County) New Jersey
Posts: 3,587
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CAJUN C4 View Post
Mike:
Might do a before and after sound clip like I did so we can all hear how good it sounds.
Dennis
We here on the forum love before and after documentation!
dogfish246 is offline  
Old 04-30-2010, 07:52 PM
  #33  
MJinPA
CF Senior Member
 
MJinPA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2008
Location: Mechanicsburg PA
Posts: 339
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CAJUN C4 View Post
I think it would sound great. The Cats would tame it down and the
X-Pipe would almost eliminate the drone.You might post it I believe someone else has done the exact thing.
Do you have any sound clips from inside the car while you're driving?
MJinPA is offline  
Old 04-30-2010, 09:25 PM
  #34  
78pacer
CF Senior Member
 
78pacer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: 78 Pace Car L82 95 LT1 Coupe
Posts: 1,300
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I would do a sound\video clip but it would sound just like yours Dennis I will tell you whether or not it was worth the $$. I'll give you a hint.......I opened the magnaflow box and checked the X-pipe out. I could see light pouring thru both un-spot welded seams between the X legs. Apparantly these pipes are stamped as halves then spot welded together. Apparantly mine was made on a Monday.
Mike

Last edited by 78pacer; 04-30-2010 at 10:17 PM.
78pacer is offline  
Old 05-01-2010, 12:07 AM
  #35  
Rex Ruby
CF Senior Member
 
Rex Ruby's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2000
Location: Springfield PA
Posts: 9,449
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Philly 'Burbs Events Coordinator
Default

Originally Posted by 50ithSILVERz06 View Post
i think the muffler delete sounds more aggresive, i wonder how the x pipe and mufflers delete would sound..............probably kind of raspy........but then again there are still 2 converters left.......hmmm

I did the muffler eliminators on my 93 LT1, they sound great.
Looking for exhaust solutions for my 94 LT5 I figured if the elims sounded so good on the LT1 had to be good for the LT5 too.
Turned out not as good. Was better than the Borla that came with the car. Last summer I replaced the Borla resonator with an X pipe. Turned out great, sounds aggressive when you are getting on it and you can drive it fairly quiet too. I have to get around to posting a sound clip
Rex Ruby is offline  
Old 05-01-2010, 04:15 AM
  #36  
Weav's Vet
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Dec 2007
Location: Sandhills of North Carolina
Posts: 3,616
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by 78pacer View Post
I would do a sound\video clip but it would sound just like yours Dennis I will tell you whether or not it was worth the $$. I'll give you a hint.......I opened the magnaflow box and checked the X-pipe out. I could see light pouring thru both un-spot welded seams between the X legs. Apparantly these pipes are stamped as halves then spot welded together. Apparantly mine was made on a Monday.
Mike
That suks! Send it back!
Weav's Vet is offline  
Old 05-05-2010, 02:52 PM
  #37  
78pacer
CF Senior Member
 
78pacer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: 78 Pace Car L82 95 LT1 Coupe
Posts: 1,300
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

As an update....I brought the vete to a muffler shop and they showed me the Magnaflow was way too wide. That fact and the result of the non-existant final welding on the X-pipe prompted me to send it back to them. What a pos! The shop luckily had a 2.5" X-pipe in stock, so in an hours time, they were done. The cost was $90 for the pipe and $70 labor. It was a quality job at a fair price. I'm pissed at Magnaflow for letting such a turd out the door. Customer service is paying for return shipping.
The sound is tamer than I'd like, juat a tad over stock, but has zero drone. The jury is still out on whether or not it was worth the $160.
Mike

Last edited by 78pacer; 05-05-2010 at 02:55 PM.
78pacer is offline  
Old 05-05-2010, 03:07 PM
  #38  
joesgulfstream
CF Senior Member
 
joesgulfstream's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,884
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 78pacer View Post
As an update....I brought the vete to a muffler shop and they showed me the Magnaflow was way too wide. That fact and the result of the non-existant final welding on the X-pipe prompted me to send it back to them. What a pos! The shop luckily had a 2.5" X-pipe in stock, so in an hours time, they were done. The cost was $90 for the pipe and $70 labor. It was a quality job at a fair price. I'm pissed at Magnaflow for letting such a turd out the door. Customer service is paying for return shipping.
The sound is tamer than I'd like, juat a tad over stock, but has zero drone. The jury is still out on whether or not it was worth the $160.
Mike
Had it done to my 95. Don't ask me why but with time mine is sounding better all the time. I don't know why but it is.
joesgulfstream is offline  
Old 05-05-2010, 03:57 PM
  #39  
murray59
CF Senior Member
 
murray59's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Posts: 124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So the Magnaflow x-pipe is no good - Too wide? and the 3" Flowmonster x-pipe is okay, fitwise?
murray59 is offline  
Old 05-05-2010, 04:04 PM
  #40  
CAJUN C4
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CAJUN C4's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2000
Location: MANDEVILLE, LA La
Posts: 3,771
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by murray59 View Post
So the Magnaflow x-pipe is no good - Too wide? and the 3" Flowmonster x-pipe is okay, fitwise?
Flowmonster fits perfectly. I have a 3" Size.Did you check out my Install Pictures?
CAJUN C4 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock LT1 Exhaust vs With Added X-Pipe


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: