C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Stock LT1 Exhaust vs With Added X-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 03:08 PM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJinPA
Do you have any sound clips from inside the car while you're driving?
I thought about it but I don't know how to attach my Video camera to the back of the car.?
Old 05-05-2010, 03:09 PM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by joesgulfstream
Had it done to my 95. Don't ask me why but with time mine is sounding better all the time. I don't know why but it is.
Mine too !
Old 05-05-2010, 03:11 PM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

Guys

Might do a before / after gas Mileage check. Mine definatly increased.I kept 2 years of records driving approx. the same way and I did notice a 1-2 MPG Increase.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:59 PM
78pacer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stay away from the Magnaflow p\n 10792. Maybe they had a bad bunch get thru quality control the say they were boxed up. The overall width of the part was at least two inches too wide. If FlowMonster is the way to go, so be it. They can't do too much to an X-pipe internally. It's not like porting a manifold. I was cruising around with the top off today, taking in the sun and yes, I can tell a difference in tone when accelerating and burble under deceleration. I gotta remember, it's what you pay for I guess. The Corsa cat back is $1200 and change. I could not justify pulling the trigger on that. The polished two barrel tips are sweet on Corsa's too, but I really like the square LT-1 style. All said and done.....pondering this exhaust thing enjoying this brew, It does sound perty cool. I only wish it were a tad louder. Maybe I'm going deaf, whatever.
Mike
Old 05-05-2010, 07:42 PM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 78pacer
Stay away from the Magnaflow p\n 10792. Maybe they had a bad bunch get thru quality control the say they were boxed up. The overall width of the part was at least two inches too wide. If FlowMonster is the way to go, so be it. They can't do too much to an X-pipe internally. It's not like porting a manifold. I was cruising around with the top off today, taking in the sun and yes, I can tell a difference in tone when accelerating and burble under deceleration. I gotta remember, it's what you pay for I guess. The Corsa cat back is $1200 and change. I could not justify pulling the trigger on that. The polished two barrel tips are sweet on Corsa's too, but I really like the square LT-1 style. All said and done.....pondering this exhaust thing enjoying this brew, It does sound perty cool. I only wish it were a tad louder. Maybe I'm going deaf, whatever.
Mike
Mike:
I bet w/o the cats and adding Long Tube Headers it would sound Fantastic.

I know..I had an 84' with LT1 Mufflers and Gutted cats and no resonator.Sounded like a 60's Vette.I loved it

Last edited by CAJUN C4; 05-06-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:31 PM
78pacer
Drifting

If I wanted to go rel throaty and loud.....the 'Sweet Thunder' chambered exhaust would be my way to go. It's a cat back system for under five bills. I spoke with another 'Mike' there, and he said no resonance. Do I believe him??, well, after it's installed, it's a used part. You own it...good, bad, or indifferent. Pay your money and roll the dice. Perhaps a good set of dynamax super turbo's will be just what I'm looking for.
Mike
Old 05-05-2010, 09:02 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 78pacer
If I wanted to go rel throaty and loud.....the 'Sweet Thunder' chambered exhaust would be my way to go. It's a cat back system for under five bills. I spoke with another 'Mike' there, and he said no resonance. Do I believe him??, well, after it's installed, it's a used part. You own it...good, bad, or indifferent. Pay your money and roll the dice. Perhaps a good set of dynamax super turbo's will be just what I'm looking for.
Mike
I just checked out their site and it said that they improved the design and "These 38” chambered mufflers have always had a great mellow sound with no residence frequency problems."

Do you think this system has resonance?
Old 05-06-2010, 12:26 AM
murray59
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CAJUN C4
Flowmonster fits perfectly. I have a 3" Size.Did you check out my Install Pictures?
Yes that's a nice job. No clamps makes for a nice clean looking install.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:26 AM
78pacer
Drifting

I think they will say just about anything to move their product. I have heard that system on a mid-year Corvette standing approx 20 ft away rolling slowly and it sure sounded good, but that's about it. Perhaps someone that has that system on a C-4 can chime in and speak directly on the tone and drone, that would be a great testament.
Mike
Old 05-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Toy90
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 50ithSILVERz06
i think the muffler delete sounds more aggresive, i wonder how the x pipe and mufflers delete would sound..............probably kind of raspy........but then again there are still 2 converters left.......hmmm
I had a 94 with elims and x-pipe and it was so loud and obnoxious that I put a stock resonator back on and it was perfect. I also could feel a power loss likely because the only back pressure was the cats. The resonator is straight through but does quite a bit. On a road course every one loved it as I drove by wailing on the LT1 with no res or mufflers but it was just too much for daily driving. I like fairly loud cars too and this just sounded kind of blah and I didn't like it at all. At wide open throttle I would think cop attraction would be pretty high but I didn't have it this way long enough to find out.

Last edited by Toy90; 05-06-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:36 PM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by PureChaosLOL
Anyone know what the OD is of the pipe right near the stock cats? I want to order some high flows to weld in, then I guess I'll grab and x pipe with it and do it all at once. I HATE doing exhaust work cause I have no lift right now but its worth it in the end.

Cajun...that's a nice improvement for sure. Still sounds clean but just....better.
Thanx a Bunch...I might try and do a Drive By Vid. / Sound clip and see how it sounds excellerating etc.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:28 PM
vettme
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought of doing the same thing but couldnt bring myselt to cut on the Fac exh so I got the Magnaflow cat back sys . It took a little to get used to but I do like the soud, as for the drone I accidently discovered that if you put a a blanket or large beech type towl against the back wall it cuts the dron down. That got me thinking about putting insulation under the carpet there, I think it will make a diff. Ill keep you posted.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:33 AM
78pacer
Drifting

Very cool! Gone are the days when we'd toss a Thrush muffler or a cherry bomb on the tail pipe of the old steed and call it a day. With the vette, everything has to be 'tuned', kinda like a guitar, else it sounds horrible.
Mike
Old 05-07-2010, 12:19 PM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

Yes, Had many a Cherry Bomb in my Day...LOL

"Disturbing the Peace Since 1968"
Old 05-07-2010, 04:15 PM
wolverine1967
Pro

Default x-pipe with the B&B?

Hey guys,
Do you think this would be the solution to cut the drone of the Billy Boat system. I have it on my 95 LT1 and it sounds great but the drone inside while driving at a low gear is redonkulous. I would love to keep the BB but cut out the drone. Would this x-pipe help? Help?
Old 05-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wolverine1967
Hey guys,Would this x-pipe help? Help?
nope
Old 05-07-2010, 04:41 PM
wolverine1967
Pro

Originally Posted by Weav's Vet
nope
crap

Get notified of new replies

To Stock LT1 Exhaust vs With Added X-Pipe

Old 05-07-2010, 05:16 PM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wolverine1967
Hey guys,
Do you think this would be the solution to cut the drone of the Billy Boat system. I have it on my 95 LT1 and it sounds great but the drone inside while driving at a low gear is redonkulous. I would love to keep the BB but cut out the drone. Would this x-pipe help? Help?
Sure will..Don't know if it will totaly eliminate it but will definatly help.

Google X-Pipe and see what others think about drone
reduction / elimination with an x-pipe.

Here this should help

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.p...minate)/page7=

Last edited by CAJUN C4; 05-07-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:08 AM
BucfanTitan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

older thread, everyone still happy with just adding an x pipe?
Old 05-09-2014, 09:41 PM
KJ08
Intermediate

Id like to know this as well. Thinking about doing this soon.

Quick Reply: Stock LT1 Exhaust vs With Added X-Pipe