C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Longtube Recommendations for an LT4

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 11:07 PM
GS470
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Longtube Recommendations for an LT4

I'm thinking about putting a set of longtube headers on the GS. What are the pros and cons of doing this? What brands do you folks recommend (and approximate cost)? What does a quality shop typically charge for installation?

In addition to the mods in the signature, I'm also thinking about adding a 52mm TB, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and having Ed Wright reprogram the computer (I currently have a stock program). Does this sound like a decent plan?

Thanks!

[Modified by GS470, 9:13 PM 3/15/2002]
Old 03-16-2002, 09:42 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Longtube Recommendations for an LT4 (GS470)

Are emissions an concern?

If not I would gut the system out and install a set of hooker 2151 coated long tubes. The drawbacks, if you consider it one, is that your exhaust will be louder. The benefits for me anyway as an increase in 23 hp and 32 pounds of torque over my hot cam with stock exhaust. Your LT4 with it's better heads to begin with should see at least the same gain.

You can get a set, coated, for around $600. Some places more, some places less. As far as installation costs, don't bother. It's very easy to do headers on a vette, you'd basically be throwing money away not to do it yourself. The only thing you won't be able to do is make your cat-back bolt to the headers, an exhaust shop will have to do that for you.
Old 03-16-2002, 10:50 AM
GS470
Racer

Default Re: Longtube Recommendations for an LT4 (Nathan Plemons)

A couple years ago Minnesota scrapped emissions testing (happy to see it gone, not so happy they wasted millions of tax dollars on a program that only lasted a few years), so I'm not too concerned about keeping it emissions legal. However, if I did want to keep it legal, what headers would I need and what are the things I need to worry about besides the cats?

Regarding the installation, I've heard some people say that a header install on a Vette is a PITA. If I decided to tackle this myself (BIG if), I assume a lift is required to have room to put the headers in from underneath. Is it necessary to jack the engine up at all to get them in place?
Old 03-16-2002, 11:17 AM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Longtube Recommendations for an LT4 (GS470)

I'm thinking about putting a set of longtube headers on the GS. What are the pros and cons of doing this? What brands do you folks recommend (and approximate cost)? What does a quality shop typically charge for installation?

In addition to the mods in the signature, I'm also thinking about adding a 52mm TB, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and having Ed Wright reprogram the computer (I currently have a stock program). Does this sound like a decent plan?

Thanks!
[Modified by GS470, 9:13 PM 3/15/2002]
When I was investigating long tubes for my Vette, I contacted DRM to see if they still made their long tubes for the C4 (since they had the headers that fit the best for the C4). Unfortunately, their manufacturer stopped production of these units due to an ever decreasing demand for them. They told me that when they receive requests for long tubes for the C4 that they send their business to TPIS. Based on DRMs recommendation, I'll be doing just that. From what I understand, the TIPS long tubes are a complete plug and play application with their Y pipe. This was good news to me as I don't have the tools to try and fab up some custom exhaust components. I think that TPIS charges about $750.00 for these (ceramic coated). One other benefit is that TPIS is located in Chaska, MN. I'm not sure how far this is away from you, but it might be in your best interest to check them out before you buy them (if you want to go with TPIS). Hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2002, 12:06 PM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Longtube Recommendations for an LT4

...From what I understand, the TIPS long tubes are a complete plug and play application with their Y pipe....
I don't think the TPIS headers are bolt-in for an LT1/4 with dual cats, unless you purchase their entire exhaust system headers to tips. If you already have a Corsa cat back and want to use it, then some amount of custom fabing is required. You can either have Random Cats make a set of cats that connect the header's collectors to the Corsa cat back, or ditch the cats and have a local exhaust shop fab up some pipes to connect the collectors to the Corsa cat back.

I can't decide which way to go myself, Hookers, TPIS, cats, no cats...I'll decide when I have the money,

A set of TPIS headers, an AFPR and a 52mm TB run cost you ~$1300 by the time you're done, assuming you do all the labor yourself. IMHO, that's alot of scratch for the improvment you will see.

I had about the same amount of money to spend. Right now I'm finishing swapping my gear from a 3.45 to a 4.10, installing a Hurst shifter and upgrading the rear bushings to poly. Total cost including poly bushings was under $700 (with me doing all of the work, except the actual gear swap). Next thing is a set of drag radials, they'll run me <$400 total (including a set of rims). I want to run faster at the strip, for $1100, these mods are the best bang for the buck, IMHO.

Eric

Get notified of new replies

To Longtube Recommendations for an LT4

Quick Reply: Longtube Recommendations for an LT4