C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hard jerking movement when shifting Auto gear into Drive or Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:57 PM
chll69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard jerking movement when shifting Auto gear into Drive or Reverse

I have an 86 corvette with an automatic transmission. When i start the car in the morning and put it into Drive or reverse it jerks a little. After driving for a little and then parking it again and then getting back into it and placing it in Drive again or Reverse it jerks even harder, I don't know if it's the transmission or what? Any ideas what it could be??
Old 06-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chll69
I have an 86 corvette with an automatic transmission. When i start the car in the morning and put it into Drive or reverse it jerks a little. After driving for a little and then parking it again and then getting back into it and placing it in Drive again or Reverse it jerks even harder, I don't know if it's the transmission or what? Any ideas what it could be??
Start by doing a proper drivetrain inspection. Loose u-joints, axle shaft u-joints or anything in the drivetrain (along with internal transmission failure) can contribute. It could be as simple as too high of an engine idle also.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:05 PM
chll69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Pete, I am going to try to take it to my friends shop today and have it lifted up and looked at, just wanted some general thoughts on it! Thanks again
Old 06-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chll69
Thanks Pete, I am going to try to take it to my friends shop today and have it lifted up and looked at, just wanted some general thoughts on it! Thanks again
Happy to help. Because the c-4 vette has a non-conventional drivetrain, it is more prone to banging when a part wears out. The rear is mounted somewhat solidly in the car, and they don't have a trans mount, so the transmit vibrations and "clanging" pretty easily.
Start with the idle speed check, move to u-joints (all 6 of them) and dive further as needed.

Get notified of new replies

To Hard jerking movement when shifting Auto gear into Drive or Reverse

Quick Reply: Hard jerking movement when shifting Auto gear into Drive or Reverse