C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help! My C4 is horrible over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 03:58 PM
skemp73
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some rear end questions and I don't know how, or if I can start a thread so I'll try posting here. I have a 114,000 mile 84 and when you are cruising and let off the gas, the rear will "drop" or move left, then when you accelerate it will get back up and over to the right like one or both of the rear wheels are "turning" in or out. I replaced the forward control arm bushings with poly ones an all 4 bars. I can't get any slop in the wheel bearings while on jackstands or any turn in from the tie rods either. I surely can't manually apply the force that the engine can but something is funky back there. I am new on the Corvette thing here so any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
Old 08-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Gregs 93 Vette
Advanced

The '93 that I just bought a couple months ago rides like crap. I had new ball joints and control arm bushing installed. That settled it ever so slightly. I didn't have the $$$ for Bilsteins so I went with KYB's... I have to say I really like them! Maybe Bilsteins are better, but I'll never know as long as I have the car. It still swaps directions, lanes, etc when I hit a rough set of railroad tracks or off kilter bumps.

I'd be interested to hear more about what was mentioned above in terms of frame flex, and what can be done about it.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by aboatguy
and lots of performance drivers that own cars with runflats end up running non runflats....
What aboatguy said. When I ditched the runflats on my C6 and went to plain PS2's the difference in the car was astounding. In a good way.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by skemp73
when you are cruising and let off the gas, the rear will "drop" or move left, then when you accelerate it will get back up and over to the right like one or both of the rear wheels are "turning" in or out.
One of your rear tie rod ends is shot. Wheel is "steering" when on and off power.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Gregs 93 Vette
I'd be interested to hear more about what was mentioned above in terms of frame flex, and what can be done about it.
Start reading!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...solutions.html
Old 08-09-2010, 05:12 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brownc00
Thank you everyone for the advice. Yes, these are the original equipment run-flat tires. Is that bad?

I'm thinking I'm going to start with replacing just the front tires and see how that goes. I'll update the post when I get some tires.
I hope that helps your tracking problem but it won't help the rear wheel hop at all. Neither will replacing run flats on the rear, it may help a little, but won't solve it. The rear end issue will take additional damping. You can get into trying to fix your ride for $1500 real fast if you are not careful.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:35 PM
skemp73
2nd Gear

Default 84 Vette

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
One of your rear tie rod ends is shot. Wheel is "steering" when on and off power.
Thanks Tom400CFI, I was leaning that direction, I had a Ford Explorer that was doing that and was the same basic part failing. I'll change them both this weekend!
Old 08-11-2010, 03:58 AM
black85
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

A long time ago there was an article in Corvette Fever about changing the alignment settings from the factory settings to get a more confident road feel. The c-4 vettes feel really "darty," for lack of a better word. It does not inspire confidence, and I don't like to drive my vette like you can in some Porsches. I hate when air gets under the front and it feels really light up over 100 mph. Scary. In other cars like the Supra TT, RX-7TT, 944T, c5 vettes, etc you can go way over 100 and feel like you are stuck to the road, but not in my 85 c4.

Last edited by black85; 08-11-2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: to emphasize MY c4 for aboatguy
Old 08-11-2010, 09:58 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by black85
A long time ago there was an article in Corvette Fever about changing the alignment settings from the factory settings to get a more confident road feel. The c-4 vettes feel really "darty," for lack of a better word. It does not inspire confidence, and I don't like to drive my vette like you can in some Porsches. I hate when air gets under the front and it feels really light up over 100 mph. Scary. In other cars like the Supra TT, RX-7TT, 944T, c5 vettes, etc you can go way over 100 and feel like you are stuck to the road, but not in the c4.
Either early C4s are different than the LT1 cars or something is wrong with your C4.....My C4 has always been stable over 100 mph....it started feeling a little loose around 150-155 ...Now that I've modified the suspension, using alignment specs provided by Randy@DRM, lowered the car and adjusted the rake (with tail a little higher than the front) I haven't reached a speed where the vette is not well balanced and stable.....

Here's a recent datalog 163 and ROCK SOLID so I suggest you change the end of your post tobut not in my C4 instead of tarring all C4s with your handling issues.........

Mike

Last edited by aboatguy; 08-11-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:52 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

to aboatguy, can you exlain what your data and graph are showing?
Old 08-11-2010, 04:33 PM
black85
Pro

Well, mine may be different. It is an 85 w/ z51. It has decent Bilstein's all the way around. It is very stiff w/ 9.5" wheels and stiff spring rates. I think it also got a different ratio steering rack. It has always felt that way since I got it 9 or 10 years ago.

So other people don't get the feeling too much air is going under the front of the car at 125-130 mph? It lifts the front like a boat going over waves when you hit bumps or uneven pavement going that fast. In a good mk4 Supra, you can go way over 125 in corners on back roads and feel like you are going 55. The c4 is nothing like a newer sports car in that regard. You can hit a quarter and tell if it is heads or tails..... j/k

I'm not knocking the vette (I love my vette), but as the Corvette Fever article said (and I loosely paraphrase), if you don't think the stock c-4 feels nervous on the highway, you are in denial. I haven't read the magazine article in years, and they say the condition is easily solved by ditching the factory alignment specs. You just move a spacer in the front end somehow. Unfortunately, I think I may have just tossed 10+ years of Corvette Fever back issues when I moved, so I'm not going to have any luck finding the article. I will try though.

And, aboatguy, why are you showing me the datalog from your engine? Not quite sure what you are showing me here.... Are you suggesting my engine does not run well, and therefore my car does not handle well? I assure you that my car runs really well, and beats lots of cars at the drag strip. If you want, I'll post a datalog!

Dave

Last edited by black85; 08-11-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:53 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
to aboatguy, can you exlain what your data and graph are showing?
Snap shot of a datalog showing my C4 going 163 MPH at 7:59am on 25 July 2010. Graph is the entire datalog...vertical black line is the point in time of the screenshot

Well, mine may be different. It is an 85 w/ z51. It has decent Bilstein's all the way around. It is very stiff w/ 9.5" wheels and stiff spring rates. I think it also got a different ratio steering rack. It has always felt that way since I got it 9 or 10 years ago.

So other people don't get the feeling too much air is going under the front of the car at 125-130 mph? It lifts the front like a boat going over waves when you hit bumps or uneven pavement going that fast. In a good mk4 Supra, you can go way over 125 in corners on back roads and feel like you are going 55. The c4 is nothing like a newer sports car in that regard. You can hit a quarter and tell if it is heads or tails..... j/k

I'm not knocking the vette (I love my vette), but as the Corvette Fever article said (and I loosely paraphrase), if you don't think the stock c-4 feels nervous on the highway, you are in denial. I haven't read the magazine article in years, and they say the condition is easily solved by ditching the factory alignment specs. You just move a spacer in the front end somehow. Unfortunately, I think I may have just tossed 10+ years of Corvette Fever back issues when I moved, so I'm not going to have any luck finding the article. I will try though.

Dave
IMO the Corvette Magazines are all advertisements... so I take them with a grain of salt. I know that lowering the car was a big point in getting rid of the 150-155 looseness

Mike
Old 08-11-2010, 05:57 PM
FLASH92LT1
Advanced

To the OP... With 120,000 miles on it EVERYTHING in your suspension is worn out. I don't mean to the point of failure but to the point of sloppy and weak. Even if a visual inspection of everything 'looks good'. The durometer, integrity, and shape of the rubber in the bushings has changed. The springs have taken a set. And the shocks are definitely shot. (They were probably shot 80,000 miles ago!) You can't gauge the performance of a shock while it's on the vehicle unless it's really bad. You'd need to remove them and put them on a shock dyno to see how they've degraded.

You'd be well off to replace your shocks, even if it's not a set of Bilstiens, and find a set of Touring-type tires (Softer sidewall). Replacing all the sway bar mounts and end links with urethane will help make the car more stable, too, and it's much easier than replacing the major suspension bushings.

Rick - '92 LT1
Old 08-11-2010, 06:36 PM
JimiHendrix
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

When I changed all of my suspension bushings, shocks , tires, 4 wheel alignment. . . my car rides like a brand vette. It is stable at all speeds and while it still darts just a little on bumpy roads, the car instills confidence. Before all of that, the car used change lanes when it felt like it

BTW, I have a 1996, and I used the softer KYB shocks. I drive this vette in the bumpy city of New York ocassionally. Try driving on the BQE someday! That is a true test of any suspension.

Originally Posted by FLASH92LT1
To the OP... With 120,000 miles on it EVERYTHING in your suspension is worn out. I don't mean to the point of failure but to the point of sloppy and weak. Even if a visual inspection of everything 'looks good'. The durometer, integrity, and shape of the rubber in the bushings has changed. The springs have taken a set. And the shocks are definitely shot. (They were probably shot 80,000 miles ago!) You can't gauge the performance of a shock while it's on the vehicle unless it's really bad. You'd need to remove them and put them on a shock dyno to see how they've degraded.

You'd be well off to replace your shocks, even if it's not a set of Bilstiens, and find a set of Touring-type tires (Softer sidewall). Replacing all the sway bar mounts and end links with urethane will help make the car more stable, too, and it's much easier than replacing the major suspension bushings.

Rick - '92 LT1
Old 08-11-2010, 08:39 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

And, aboatguy, why are you showing me the datalog from your engine? Not quite sure what you are showing me here.... Are you suggesting my engine does not run well, and therefore my car does not handle well? I assure you that my car runs really well, and beats lots of cars at the drag strip. If you want, I'll post a datalog!

Dave
I was posting to show that I know that my vette is stable at speeds in excess of 100....and that it was recent enough that my memory hasn't faded.

Mike
Old 08-11-2010, 10:33 PM
F1Fan
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
the 18's in the back are not helping you.

I've run 18s, 17's and 16's on my car. The bigger the diameter the lower the sidewall which does not help ride.

I agree completely with this, and think it will continue to be a part of your problem as long as you keep them on your car. You lose a noticable amount of cushioning with those lower profile tires.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:37 PM
black85
Pro

aboatguy--

You are so right about Corvette mags being one big ad. That is one reason I no longer subscribe to any or felt I should keep any back issues. In this instance though, there was no sell. It was just an alignment article. Usually though, it is biased.

BTW, 163 mph? Didn't notice that at first glance. NICE!!!!

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Help! My C4 is horrible over bumps

Old 08-12-2010, 01:39 AM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FLASH92LT1

Rick - '92 LT1

This guy has it correct U joints and wheel bearings too . Just went through it myself ,
Old 08-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 385 Likes on 318 Posts

I've found the sway bars can make the car much more harsh. Replace the bushings with poly, put a washer between the mount halves, add zerks and lube them. With the end links disconnected the bars should move freely. If they do not they are acting as shocks.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:34 AM
FLASH92LT1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I've found the sway bars can make the car much more harsh.
It can ... but, it sounds like he needs some suspension CONTROL. Without control the suspension will be all over the place, perhaps causing the darting, bump steering, and lane changes. Sway bars and shocks can go a long way to dampen those unwanted movements. And it doesn't seem like he'll want to tackle changing all his bushings.

Rick - '92 LT1

Quick Reply: Help! My C4 is horrible over bumps