C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help! My C4 is horrible over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 12:50 PM
theadmiral94
Drifting

Location: 1994 LT1 Coupe 6-speed with FX3 & 2000 LS1 Vert 6-Speed with F45 Hunterdon County, NJ
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 30 PSI cold (33 psi in Goodyear runflats)

Originally Posted by tntwolt
what does a runflat tire look like? checked air on one back tire, hardly moved the gauge. what pressure are we supposed to run? the tag on my car faded. after reading other postings about c4`s "skipping" on crappy roads now i know i`m not alone. my HHR can take some turns better than the vette without making my palms sweat. on smooth roads, catch me if you can.
how to identify runflats: e.g. original Goodyear runflats had a 'EMT' in a semi-triangle shaped spot on the tire's side-wall. Other brands should have some marking on the sidewall to identify them as a run-flat or zero-pressure tire.

If your gauge is correct, and you could not tell the tire was low, then you might have run-flats.

Beware the Goodyears were rated for 500 miles without air, many others only 50 miles.

So if you've been running with zero pressure in excess of those miles, the tire might need to be replaced.

P.S. to all on original post topic -- my 94, with brand new FX3s with original Goodyear run-flats (from a 95) and all original suspension - 30 PSI rode like a truck -- 33 PSI rode like a cadillac, difference was AMAZING.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:55 PM
tntwolt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my concern is, will 30+lbs cause center of tires to wear out, 26lbs give me the "wigglelis" on turns/
Old 10-17-2012, 09:09 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by tntwolt
my concern is, will 30+lbs cause center of tires to wear out, 26lbs give me the "wigglelis" on turns/
Not at all its still the outer edges that wear most, I have gone thru a few sets of tires over the last fifteen years I never run lower than 35 psi mostly 38 psi.
You will be amazed at how much better your vette sticks to the road at higher pressures especially in wet weather
Also braking is greatly affected if your tire pressure is low
Everything works better around 35 psi except for ride smoothness

Quick Reply: Help! My C4 is horrible over bumps