C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

a/trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 11:01 AM
93v
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default a/trans problem

Does anyone know what causes a a/t to become overfilled?It's a 4l60,93 lt1.Had the car 5 years now w/no trans. problems,lately it's been leaking fluid from the pan and i think up the side where the vent is and the cooler lines attach.Can't tell for sure yet exactly where it's leaking.I'm thinking the only thing that could raise the level in the trans. is coolant from the radiator since thats the only place the fluid gets close to any other fluid??Possible leak where the fluid travels through the radiator??BTW the fluid is somewhat pink instead of red color.I was looking at my factory service manual and can't find any reason for my problems other than it saying possible too high pressure.I'm not loosing any anti-freeze that I can tell yet into the trans fluidthanx
Old 08-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 660 Posts

I think you probably have the correct diagnostic - leak in the tranny cooler. Never heard of one before though, but I guess anything is possible.

You have a couple of options.

You can bite the bullet and just replace your radiator with a Dewitt's and get much better cooling too. Or you could take your radiator to a radiator shop and have them repair it, or go with a a new stocker. The other option would be to just bypass the radiator and install a separate tranny cooler and not even go thru the radiator. But that is just a bandaid unless you do something with the radiator. Many of us have a seperate tranny cooler that mounts right in front of the AC condensor.

Either way, afterwords, you need to do a complete and through tranny fluid exchange. You can do it yourself although it can be a bit messy or have a shop do it for about $100. Get it done before you ruin your tranny! Do not delay. A tranny rebuild is going to cost you an arm and a two legs.

And I would do a complete engine coolant flush and refresh too!

Last edited by Flame Red; 08-06-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:21 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,044 Posts

When you check your fluid level, is it high on the dipstick in park with the motor running, or are you assuming the fluid is high because it's leaking from the pan?
Old 08-08-2010, 07:55 AM
93v
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
When you check your fluid level, is it high on the dipstick in park with the motor running, or are you assuming the fluid is high because it's leaking from the pan?
Thanx guy's,The fluid level is high in park w/the engine running.The level is high on the stick w/cold engine.I have a lift but it's a mid-rise that blocks alot under the middle of the car.I guess I'm gonna have to start digging.I wanted to put a pit in my garage to work on things like this.On closer inspection I saw fluid leaking from the rear end of the tranny too.Time to just yank the thing out.Car has 220,000 mi. on it,I don't know if the tranny has ever been rebuilt or not,I find it hard to believe it's never been touched w/this many miles.

Get notified of new replies

To a/trans problem

Quick Reply: a/trans problem