C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Single Turbo Pics Needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 05:10 PM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Lc1vette's car still has the AC. He had to move the condenser to the rear of the car back where the spare tire goes, but all that took was some custom AC lines and another pound of freon when charging.

If I were looking to do a single on an L98, I'd probably convert to the LTX accessory bracket and copy his set up. You'd have to use an electric water pump, but other than that it would probably be the best place to start.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:40 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Coconut
My main problem is that I am keeping my A/C, so I need to find a single turbo on the driver's side. Most people remove the A/C, put the turbo there, & then race (or else sweat ).
Maybe if you removed the smog pump, put the alternator where the smog pump was, you can get a turbo in the area the alternator was.

Some pics of similar fun that may give you some ideas.

The radiator takes up a lot of room. if you figured a way to move (like slanted forward) it to give you more room, you will gain turbo space.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:29 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BOBA VETT
I do not other than the two above. The easy part is locating the turbo, the pain is routing the DP. I plan to keep the a/c on my 85 but move it to the other side with a smaller alt and ps set up. Run the headers high and try to stuff a 4' DP low on the passenger side

Have you found a bonnet for your carb? Cutting the hood? What year is yours?
I have a 1991 with a custom hood. I actually have matching twin turbos. I already have an aluminum bonnet for the carb. I also have a dual pass radiator with a dual fan setup that is nowhere like the original. I have a custom bracket that holds the condenser, radiator, & fans together. It all lifts out together by grabbing the radiator. My entire front facia is opened up for air, so I have plenty of air circulation & room up front. The battery has been relocated & the washer bottle/pump is gone, so I have more room in those areas as well (good for a Callaway location build). I'm just contemplating where the best place is for me to mount the turbo (or turbos). I've thought about between the radiator & the pulleys, where the Callaways are, in the rear, & even in front of the wheel wells (where the light tubs used to take up so much space). If it mounts down low (front, Callaway-style, rear, & etc), then I have to get some sort of pump for the oil to return to the pan, so I'm weighing all of my options to see what is best for me.

Last edited by Coconut; 09-29-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:40 AM
Coconut
Racer

Originally Posted by bill mcdonald
Maybe if you removed the smog pump, put the alternator where the smog pump was, you can get a turbo in the area the alternator was.
Some pics of similar fun that may give you some ideas.

I've already eliminated all emissions on the car. I have been planning on putting the alternator where the smog pump was. In fact, that is my next step, regardless of where the turbo (or turbos) goes. It would give me that much more room. Thanks for the pic of one that has already been done!

Last edited by Coconut; 09-29-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:55 AM
Coconut
Racer

Originally Posted by neat
Lc1vette's car still has the AC. He had to move the condenser to the rear of the car back where the spare tire goes, but all that took was some custom AC lines and another pound of freon when charging.

If I were looking to do a single on an L98, I'd probably convert to the LTX accessory bracket and copy his set up. You'd have to use an electric water pump, but other than that it would probably be the best place to start.

That would definitely gain room on the passenger area. Any pics (or links) for Lc1vette's setup? I'd like to see it.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:52 PM
matszr1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an LT5 but I know tht the same hacks that started my turbo job did this same thing on an L98 first. I know the guy who had this system done on his L98 had some minor start up pains but once he got through them, he told me that he was happy with the added power. For some reason, I thought I saw that he was selling the kit a few years later but cannot confirm for sure.
I would not recomend doing it this way and eventually I am going to redesign mine once I have the time and money to do this right. I will probably look to go to a twin system since that is what I was expecting to have done in the first place. With the hood down, you cannot tell unless you know where and what to look for but with the hood up, it is an eye soar in my opinion. I figure this will at least give you an idea of how it has been done.
The good thing for me is that I screwed up my engine so I am currently having the engine totaly rebuilt with multi-layer head gaskets and I am having the compression dropped with new pistons so my car should really rock when it is done. The bad thing is the money I am investing and this is only the second stage of the final product. So I am going one step at a time once I have the money to take the next step.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:55 PM
matszr1
Instructor

Just looked at the post above mine and I believe that "Lc1vett's" is the guy that had the same system that I have. Not for sure but the user name looked familiar.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:03 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Old 09-29-2010, 11:05 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by matszr1
Just looked at the post above mine and I believe that "Lc1vett's" is the guy that had the same system that I have. Not for sure but the user name looked familiar.
He built his own system.

Was yours built by some guy, or is it the HP system modded?

I remember somewhat about the L98 guy who had the HP set up. I have been searching for it. not having much luck

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-f...it-for-c4.html

Last edited by bill mcdonald; 09-29-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:21 PM
matszr1
Instructor

Unfortunatly it was originally started by HP Performance out of Roswell. I believe they either went out of business or changed their name. Either way I would stay away from them like the plague. i wouldn't even buy a common bolt from them because it would take them about 2 years to deliver it to you and it would be bent and discolored when it did arive. If it wasn't for me living by Chicago and all the BS with filing lawsuits in New Mexico, I would have sued them. Lucky for me the best LT-5 guy in the country has his shop a couple of miles down the road from where I work, so I was able to resolve my issues with his help.
Truthfully that user name looked familiar and I am not on much so I thought that I had the right guy.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:57 AM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bill mcdonald

Bill- I haven't seen this one before. I see that it's sitting next to Callaway corvette's, but it looks more like a "Banks" kit. Who's the vendor? Is it available?
Old 09-30-2010, 04:21 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1
Bill- I haven't seen this one before. I see that it's sitting next to Callaway corvette's, but it looks more like a "Banks" kit. Who's the vendor? Is it available?
It is GM's

Gm built something like 14 TT C4's. Destroyed them all and went with the ZR1/LT5. Rumor has it they handed the TT over to Callaway, who could not keep it from burning up so they completely reinvented the wheel.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:34 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

found a few more single turbo pics I have stashed away.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:45 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1
I found a few more

Old 11-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Coconut
Racer

Default Settled

I finally moved the alternator to where my old emissions eliminator pulley was. The front K-Member was lowered 2.25", & moved my dual-pass radiator much farther forward. The original mono-leaf was replaced a while back with coil-overs. I plan to only run 1 of the 2 turbos. It will mount easily between the radiator & the motor. I'll C-Notch the cross-member where the mono-leaf used to be. It'll add clearance & strength. Supports for the turbo will now be placed where the alternator used to be. The intercooler rests in front of the evaporator core & radiator with plenty of room to spare.

Thanks again to all who posted here. It helped me with my own unique setup!
Old 11-02-2010, 10:34 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

here is what callaway did to run the outside air and boosted side of the turbos through the K memeber on a ZR1.

I always thought it was really neat.

Although I am sure you just need room for a larger turbo to sit in that area.
How did you get the K memeber down? Just add spacers?

Old 02-18-2011, 06:54 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I started one along time ago and the car has been in storage for years. I have a few pics but I am not allowed to attach them for some reason. I haven't logged in here for a year. Maybe that is it. I was doing a T-70 on the drivers side of a 91 L98 car. I didn't get it complete but the pics may spark some ideas of your own. I had to move the alternator to passengers side up top by the compressor.

Edit: Check "My corvette photos" or my webpage for a couple of those pics. Good luck!

Last edited by ANTI VENOM; 02-18-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Single Turbo Pics Needed