C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hard Starting Issues (Prize to whoever correctly solves the problem)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 02:12 PM
maranello_man
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In talking with a Corvette shop, GM or MSD are the only NEW optisparks on the market. All of the rest are remanufactured. If they received mine, for example, they would retest at room temp, find that it works fine, and send it out.

GM dealer quoted $846!!! Yikes.
MSD is $557

I won't take the chance on a remanufactured one, so MSD it is.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Al Borman
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More like GM stealership !!! Talk about a Corvette TAx !!!

summitracing sells OEM AC-Delco Gen I Opti for $479.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACF-10457702/
Old 08-25-2010, 03:52 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

So they're saying that even ACCEL Optis are remanufactured; right? Makes me wonder about the accuracy of that claim.

Jake
Old 08-25-2010, 04:06 PM
0ChandlerMotorsports
Former Vendor

That statement is absolutely false. We sell new optispark units. Accel probably does, and a bunch of other providers.

Cardone is the only one I know that sells reman units, but that's what Cardone is known for.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:33 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ChandlerMotorsports
That statement is absolutely false. We sell new optispark units. Accel probably does, and a bunch of other providers.

Cardone is the only one I know that sells reman units, but that's what Cardone is known for.
That's what I suspected. As soon as I read that claim my suspicious meter pegged.

Just another example of why such over-the-top claims should be taken with a grain of salt.

Jake
Old 08-26-2010, 03:30 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you should buy your "Check Engine" light dinner. But since it doesn't like Italian, my wife and I will enjoy it very much. After all, she had to put up with missing out on tending her farm on Farmville while I was hogging the computer. There were alot of suggestions that your opti was bad before I even saw the thread, but I think that you wanted to know more about the "why" rather than the "what", before you had to mess with replacement. You and I think alike, lol. P.S......I have a L98.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:59 PM
maranello_man
Intermediate

Great. True to my word, I picked up your gift card today and will put it in the mail the first part of next week. I purchased an AC Delco opti from Summit racing which just arrived today. It cost $479. I see all the posts above and I do hope folks are getting new optis as claimed. I'll take their word for it. I do have to wonder why they are so cheap. What's the difference in the testing, quality checks, suppliers, etc? Hopefully in this case, more money and a brand name will mean greater reliability. I do NOT want to do this again... as fun as it was.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:46 PM
shadowman1
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is the vent upgrade I did on my opti last month.

http://www.corvettefever.com/howto/16758/index.html

The vent hose kit part # is 12555323

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=12555323

I got mine from Chandler and so far it works great.
The only thing the link doesn't show that I did was to remove the P/S pump pulley to better route my vacuum lines away from the belt. Only takes a few minutes extra.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Oklahoma_mike
Instructor

Maranello man I want to thank you for posting this issue and for all the detailed reporting. I would also like to think all the others that help him solve this enigma. What a truely wonderful group of people you are. I am having what appears to be the same issue. I have yet to do any troubleshooting as this issue has just presented itself, however it looks as though a new Opti is in my Vette’s future.

Quick Reply: Hard Starting Issues (Prize to whoever correctly solves the problem)