C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Most common ABS problems.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:12 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 642 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Most common ABS problems.

The ABS is dead in my 91 and NOBODY has a clue as to what it might be.With as my of these cars there are out there I know Im not the only one that has had the ABS die.The system is the same from 86-91 I believe.I want to hear about all the problems people have had.I can fix it if I find the problem.Im not going to go through all the stuff Ive done but I will say it wont pull any TCs and wont communicate with any scanner Ive used,all I get is SERVICE ABS on the panel.Let hear what ya got.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:24 AM
walter schweigert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-12-2010, 03:27 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Dont anybody tell me to call Gordon Killebrew.Did that and it cost me $40.Guess what,still got no ABS.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:45 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
The ABS is dead in my 91 and NOBODY has a clue as to what it might be.With as my of these cars there are out there I know Im not the only one that has had the ABS die.The system is the same from 86-91 I believe.I want to hear about all the problems people have had.I can fix it if I find the problem.Im not going to go through all the stuff Ive done but I will say it wont pull any TCs and wont communicate with any scanner Ive used,all I get is SERVICE ABS on the panel.Let hear what ya got.
welcome to the club!! i have the service abs on the panel since i bought my 91 2 years ago! it comes on and off, when its off my abs works great i took the car to the dealer when i first bought it, they charged me $100 to reset it and they told me it shows only bad conection 66 egnaution cycles ago and it should be fine now! but till today i have the same problem, and i gave up on it long time ago
Old 09-12-2010, 03:53 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

How do you reset it,disconnect the battery?At first it would act up,fine one day next day dead then finally,poof its dead.Ive tried everything,different controllers,different relays,different accelerometers.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

On my 87 the light comes and goes. The previous owner said it was the pump, but it also could be dirt on the sensors, since it's an intermittent problem. Never had it looked at or fixed.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:06 AM
RS69
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My 87 vette's ABS light came on yesterday, and I disconnected the battery and it still came back on. I would like to fix this issue.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:23 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RS69
My 87 vette's ABS light came on yesterday, and I disconnected the battery and it still came back on. I would like to fix this issue.
It will probably be expensive if you have to replace the ABS unit.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 367 Likes on 303 Posts

Have you followed the FSM troubleshooting charts? There are things like tipping the accelerometer on it's side to make sure it works, etc etc. I removed the ABS system from my track car, the parts aren't terribly expensive.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:07 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Good dealers have a tester for determining what needs repairing on ABS units. A time ago my 87 had a bad rear star wheel pickup (mechanic mangled it pretty good). Recently my 87's ABS started coming on just starting from a stop and coming to a stop. The tester said it was the lateral acceleration switch which I verified with an ohmeter check with it level (its supposed to be zero ohms). I recommend you find a repair place with your year ABS tester.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:58 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by jfb
Good dealers have a tester for determining what needs repairing on ABS units. A time ago my 87 had a bad rear star wheel pickup (mechanic mangled it pretty good). Recently my 87's ABS started coming on just starting from a stop and coming to a stop. The tester said it was the lateral acceleration switch which I verified with an ohmeter check with it level (its supposed to be zero ohms). I recommend you find a repair place with your year ABS tester.
I wont let anybody work on this car,thats the biggest obstacle as far as finding the problem.Ive had 3 accelerometers in the car,no dice.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:20 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you reset it,disconnect the battery?
No because the code will be stored so desconecting the battery wouldn't do any thing
Old 09-13-2010, 05:45 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

From my 93 FSM, I can't swear it is the same for a 91.

The CCM on board diagnostics can be used to clear ABS/ASR system DTC's. Follow the procedure below.
1. Ignition OFF
2. Connect jumper from DLC terminal A to terminal G.
3. Ignition ON
4. Press Trip Reset button on DIC repeatedly to display 9.0 in trip monitor area of the instrument cluster.
5. Press Trip ODO twice to change the display to 9.7
6. Hold ENG/MET until "---" appears in the the speedometer area of the cluster.
7. Ignition OFF
8. Remove jumper from DLC

Here is a link to some good ABS information, courtesy of Hib Halverson

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...abs/index.html
Old 09-13-2010, 08:12 AM
jfb
Team Owner

I wont let anybody work on this car,thats the biggest obstacle as far as finding the problem.Ive had 3 accelerometers in the car,no dice.
But you could just pay for the diagnosis and do your own repair. Without the diagnosis you have no means to find the fault. The first time my ABS malfunctioned I put the car on jackstands and used my oscilloscope to look at the waveform of each wheel sensor while I spun them and could'nt see any difference on any wheel, but later a tester found a defective wheel sensor.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:56 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by toptechx6
From my 93 FSM, I can't swear it is the same for a 91.

The CCM on board diagnostics can be used to clear ABS/ASR system DTC's. Follow the procedure below.
1. Ignition OFF
2. Connect jumper from DLC terminal A to terminal G.
3. Ignition ON
4. Press Trip Reset button on DIC repeatedly to display 9.0 in trip monitor area of the instrument cluster.
5. Press Trip ODO twice to change the display to 9.7
6. Hold ENG/MET until "---" appears in the the speedometer area of the cluster.
7. Ignition OFF
8. Remove jumper from DLC

Here is a link to some good ABS information, courtesy of Hib Halverson

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...abs/index.html
Don't think the early ABS cars had the same diagnostic procedures. A GM Tech I with the brake module can be used to display ABS related codes but the paper clip method works too but only for the 92 and later cars.

I know that my 87 ABS system can't be diagnosed with a scan tool. That system does not communicate with the ECM so a specific ABS tester must be used.

Have you tried cleaning the wheel speed sensors? Are the connectors tight and have no corrosion or dirt that could result in a bad contact? Are the sensors at the correct wheel? They are left and right specific.

Try pulling both front hubs to see if the reluctor rings are where they belong or have no broken teeth.

It's also possible that the ABS controller is having intermittent issues. Are the wire harness connectors at the controller tight? The ABS unit has three relays, a pump motor relay, a solenoid relay, and a module relay; maybe one is going south. Also check the ground connectors to make sure nothing is loose or corroded.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Don't think the early ABS cars had the same diagnostic procedures. A GM Tech I with the brake module can be used to display ABS related codes but the paper clip method works too but only for the 92 and later cars.

I know that my 87 ABS system can't be diagnosed with a scan tool. That system does not communicate with the ECM so a specific ABS tester must be used.

Have you tried cleaning the wheel speed sensors? Are the connectors tight and have no corrosion or dirt that could result in a bad contact? Are the sensors at the correct wheel? They are left and right specific.

Try pulling both front hubs to see if the reluctor rings are where they belong or have no broken teeth.

It's also possible that the ABS controller is having intermittent issues. Are the wire harness connectors at the controller tight? The ABS unit has three relays, a pump motor relay, a solenoid relay, and a module relay; maybe one is going south. Also check the ground connectors to make sure nothing is loose or corroded.
There are actually 4 relays in the ABS well,if a wheel sensor was faulty I should at least get a stored fault.Ive got some spare relays Im going to try out.Ive got voltage at the pump and ground from the 10 gage black wire.There is a ground at the leftside B piller that is the only thing I havent checked.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by jfb
But you could just pay for the diagnosis and do your own repair. Without the diagnosis you have no means to find the fault. The first time my ABS malfunctioned I put the car on jackstands and used my oscilloscope to look at the waveform of each wheel sensor while I spun them and could'nt see any difference on any wheel, but later a tester found a defective wheel sensor.
Nobody is wiling to do this and to be honest,I cant blame them.They have cars waiting for service the last thing they want is to work with some neurotic Corvette owner.
The following users liked this post:
428CobraJet (03-06-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Most common ABS problems.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:25 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Anybody else?
Old 09-21-2010, 09:00 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Fix your OCD first.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:08 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Find a shop that will let you watch what they do or buy your own Tech 1 for about 1800 if you can find one. I have never heard my ABS self test the light blinks and that is it and it has never gone off no matter how hard I try. If the ABS needs bleeding it is going to be messy and hard to avoid send a letter to GM about the poor design like they actually care.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Most common ABS problems.